Kuiu Kenai vs Decathlon Forclaz Trek 100

Elk botherer

Lil-Rokslider
Any one have experience with these two jackets? I was wondering how they stacked up in warmth and durability? The Trek seems like a great deal but sometimes there’s a reason they’re cheaper. The reviews seem good but just looking for some real world experience. Thanks.

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
I have the kenai vest and I would say it doesn't completely replace a puffy. It's more of a light weight active insolation so not as warm but better breathability and it's much quieter than a puffy. The decathlon 800 looks like a true puffy with great reviews. I follow a lot of backpacking forums and they say it's basically a cheap MH ghost whisper knockoff.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

xcutter

WKR
I have both and really like both. The Decathlon is the warmer of the two. Kenai is very warm though and slightly more durable as far going through brush. In my opinion the Decathlon is for sitting still and the Kenai is more of an active type jacket that is still somewhat fragile.

For the money though the Decathlon is a deal on a down puffy. I bought one for my wife, Dad and Father-in law for Christmas. Everyone of us really like it. Keep in mind that it does run small. Typically I wear XXL in Kuiu or Sitka and I needed an XXXL in the Decathlon to layer underneath.

OP
Elk botherer

Elk botherer

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. I am on the fence trying to decide which would work better. I lean decathlon for cheap price but I’m drawn to the Kenai because I feel it might last longer. I’m just trying to find a new mid layer to throw on under my shell when I stop to glass (I’m in idaho) when I’m chasing mule deer/elk for rifle in October/November, or archery in September, or to use it alone to just run around when I go to town. I’m 5’11” and 160 lbs so I’m thinking a large size would work in either allowing some layers beneath. Be nice to see them in person instead of ordering and getting a surprise which is why it’s nice to hear some feedback from real people who have experienced the jackets. Thanks again.

montei

FNG
I have both and use both. Love the kenai. And the decathlon is a hell of a deal. Very warm. I used both together frequently this year and was very happy. I also wear the decathlon around town quite a bit. I’m in MN and it keeps me warm.

OP
Elk botherer

Elk botherer

Lil-Rokslider
I have both and use both. Love the kenai. And the decathlon is a hell of a deal. Very warm. I used both together frequently this year and was very happy. I also wear the decathlon around town quite a bit. I’m in MN and it keeps me warm.
I ended up deciding to go with the Kenai but the colors I wanted were all out of stock in my size so I’m pulling the trigger on the decathlon. I’ll snag the Kenai later whenever it comes back in stock. I’ll give a report whenever it gets here. Thanks for all the help and happy trails.

OP
Elk botherer

Elk botherer

Lil-Rokslider
It’s been better than I thought it would be. It’s not windproof but it does a decent job bucking the wind and compacts down pretty small. It’s not super warm but good enough, specially when coupled with a windproof shell. I do wish the hood would have a drawstring, it can act like a sail when facing into the wind and puff up and allow some cold air in. But for the price I can’t complain too much. I’d buy it again all things considered. I’ve mostly used it as a run around town jacket so far so I can’t tell you too much about the durability in brush. I would also add it isn’t very water resistant. Hope that helps.

Skybuster

FNG
Did you end up getting the synthetic or down version?

I recently ordered the two and I feel the synthetic to be warmer. I also feel the synthetic is using a different inner layer as is harder to pass air through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Elk botherer

Elk botherer

Lil-Rokslider
Did you end up getting the synthetic or down version?

I recently ordered the two and I feel the synthetic to be warmer. I also feel the synthetic is using a different inner layer as is harder to pass air through it.

I got the down. I didn’t realize they had such a friendly return policy or I would have ordered both as well. That’s good to hear it is a little warmer. How does it pack down compared to the down jacket?

Skybuster

FNG
I have not pack them up in their pocket.
Would do that and post a picture.

But I’m pretty sure the Down would beat the synthetic. Would also weight them up once packet only down is they have the tags.

I just got the synthetic in XL and it fit me better around the waist. I say a small amount of extra room compared to the L down version.