Kuiu kutana Gale Force

I just saw this new kuiu offering. Waterproof insulated jacket and pants. I think the same thing can be accomplished with a layering system like a kenai or down jacket and a rain jacket over top. Will anyone be replacing their layering systems with this setup?

Gutshotem

WKR
I like the grommets in the pants. Wonder why Sitka couldn't do something similar with the timberlines and extend the material in the knees to the bottom?

I have not put my hands on the set yet, but will talk to the KUIU guys next week at SCI about it. What stuck out to me is that the system will also be windproof which will be a first for KUIU as their equipment has always been breathable for active hunting. This sounds like what I have been looking for in a cold weather whitetail outer layer as long as it is quiet enough for trad bow hunting. From what I can gather it would compete with the sitka fanatic system (for my use) yet also be waterproof and not pick up burrs. I am a firm believer in their products for active hunting or early to midseason stand hunting but am excited to think that they might finally have something for all seasons!

I agree, my question is the quiet factor and the breathability. Their website stares it is still great for active hunting, yet solid enough for really cold really bad weather. Has me intrigued, but not enough yet to pull the trigger.
I asked Jordan Budd to ask in an upcoming podcast with them, but if you get a chance to ask at the show, ask about quiet for stand deer hunting, breathability for mountain hunting, and also about useability for other sports like downhill skiing

Last edited:
I have the jacket being delivered tomorrow. I’ll post up impressions once I get my hands on it. Looks to be a nice rugged jacket from what I can tell

tdot

WKR
It is a thicker insulation then the Kenai, same type of insulation, just thicker.

The membrane that Kuiu uses in other rain jackets should be just as windproof.

It sounds like it is more optimized for cold weather. Then a typical shell/insulation layer combo. Longer hem line on the jacket, bibs on the pants, etc.

Certainly less versatile then a 2 piece combo, but doesnt intend to be. I've been pretty happy with my Kenai/Yukon combo. But I've always wanted a thicker Kenai under it, so this could be pretty awesome.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My buddy used it this past weekend while we were out looking for caribou, it was ~ -20 with wind chill and he seemed comfortable.

I do t know that I’d pay that much for it since I have cold weather stuff that works well for me but he sure likes it.

So I received my Gale Force jacket yesterday. First impressions are that this jacket is really lightweight for what it is, which is a waterproof insulated barrier against the cold and rain etc. The quality is very good overall IMO. The only problem is that jacket is huge? I have probably 10-15 different Kuiu tops from jackets to mid layers to base layers and tee shirts etc. I wear a large in every single top I’ve ever bought from them and this is the first large item that seems too big. I compared the sleeve length to my existing FL and Kuiu jackets and it’s virtually the same length. I’m wondering if the reason for the size is to provide for layering underneath? I’m considering trading it for a medium size but need to contact Kuiu and see what they say about the sizing on these.

Well it turns out they design these larger to provide for a lot of layering. The bottom of the jacket has a cord that can be adjusted without layering to help with the fit if need be. The jacket is so warm by itself though that I’m not sure how much layering would be needed even in extreme cold. Anyway this is my .02. The jacket is definitely a quality piece of gear but just remember the sizing if you order one.

hflier

WKR
Well it turns out they design these larger to provide for a lot of layering. The bottom of the jacket has a cord that can be adjusted without layering to help with the fit if need be. The jacket is so warm by itself though that I’m not sure how much layering would be needed even in extreme cold. Anyway this is my .02. The jacket is definitely a quality piece of gear but just remember the sizing if you order one.

Any comments on if this is quiet?

Ron

Thanks for the info. Was curious about the quiet level for bow hunting as well. I know that is not what this piece is made for, but was just curious. Sounds like good gear though