Kuiu Kutana rain jacket

Anyone ever try the new Kutana rain jacket if so what are your thoughts? Worth it ?better than the chugach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arloboy7

FNG
Anyone ever try the new Kutana rain jacket if so what are your thoughts? Worth it ?better than the chugach?

I’m also curious on the new kutana line. Hopefully someone can give a review ...

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Tagging in. Besides Kuiu clothing, I am also in the market for a Kuiu PRO pack. Reviews seem to be unanimous that all their gear is top notch.

bigharge

WKR
No experience with the rain gear but the kutana pants and hybrid jacket are excellent pieces that I added this year

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

bigharge

WKR
The newer 3dx hybrid one. Havent really gotten to use it in the field since it was 112 here yesterday but from the inside testing I did it seems warm enough and water repellent enough to make it into the pack this year. Im not a softshell guy, ran a sawtooth last year but replaced it with this for something a little lighter and more durable imo.

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
Does the fabric seem like it would be far tougher & immune to pilling than the peloton 240? Can’t decide on that model or the hooded Kutana soft shell

bigharge

WKR
Imo, yes. I was never a fan of the peloton material personally. This seems like a good piece to go over my merino tee when i need a little warmth or rain protection and my brooks layers well over or under it. I almost sent it back honestly at first, as I felt I didnt really need it, but decided to hang onto it this year and try it for when I need a more durable protection as it does seem very durable as do the kutana pants. Beads water well and is very light for packing. If you like a softshell I wouldnt hesistate to try the kutana, just not something I would personally use in my setup

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was at Kuiu for about two hours today doing a little if this and that.

IMO the Kutana stuff I don’t think will pile at all so it should be much better in that regards than the Peloton stuff.

I think the Chugach and Kutana are designed for two different environments overall, so it depends on what you want it for.

The Pro Series suspension and the bags are home runs and the bags are really a grand slam.

westcoasthunter

Lil-Rokslider
How does the Kutana rain gear hold up against the Yukon? Also does anyone have the soft shell Kutana how does it compare to the guide jacket and pants

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
Really like to hear first hand experience with the Kutana hooded soft shell as well

JasonW43

FNG
Tagging in. Besides Kuiu clothing, I am also in the market for a Kuiu PRO pack. Reviews seem to be unanimous that all their gear is top notch.
I purchased the Kutana rain gear set for this last season and if fell apart in the first day. Kuiu told me that was normal wear and tear and would not warranty any of it. They did ship me seem tape do that I could have it repaired locally but that was it. I also own the Yukon rain coat that leaks at the shoulder seems. I called their customer service and they directed me to purchase some spray waterproofer product to fix it.

I bought the kutana rain gear this year. I have been using kuiu raingear for several years after a couple sets of sitka that were terrible. I have been using the chugach and Yukon, and both have been great, the Yukon held up almost 3 seasons, and chugach lasts about 2, which for around here is excellent (I was soaked in sitka downpour on day 4 from the brush)

the kutana is so far great, tougher than chugach, lighter than Yukon. it's less breathable, but they have adequate vent zips, so I will take the durability over breathability on the coast.... but i'm not a big sweater.

time will tell, but as of now, it will be my "go to" raingear, it fits my needs well.

the main thing with any breathable rain gear is be VERY careful drying it in the dryer, or better yet don't use a dryer, just hang dry. the only problem I ever had with kuiu rain gear is getting it too hot in the dryer. besides that it's been excellent. it's the best rain gear there is for the price.

the first lite is ok too, but kuiu just holds up better. I would like to try pnuma, but there are a couple reasons I won't. kryptek interests me too, but it's as much money or close, and kuiu is proven to me.

sitka, never again, after 2 sets that died fast, I would never buy their rain gear again. I like a lot of sitka products, just not their rain gear. I bet it's great in many environments, just not the Oregon coast.

only have 1 season on my kutana, but so far i'm loving it, holding up great. it is cut a little more slim, it's a little louder with it's tougher exterior, and doesn't breath as well... not saying it's the best option for everyone, but I think it's gonna be perfect on the coast

I purchased the Kutana rain gear set for this last season and if fell apart in the first day. Kuiu told me that was normal wear and tear and would not warranty any of it. They did ship me seem tape do that I could have it repaired locally but that was it. I also own the Yukon rain coat that leaks at the shoulder seems. I called their customer service and they directed me to purchase some spray waterproofer product to fix it.
What happened to the Kutana exactly?