KUIU Kutana Storm Shell experience?

Tua

FNG
New guy here, though I've been following for a while. Reviewing past threads, the Kutana Storm Shell talk has mostly been theoretical - designed to fit a niche between KUIU's Chugach and Yukon. More durable than Chugach but less breathable, and more breathable than Yukon but likely less durable. Now that it's been out for a while, does real world experience match up? I am admittedly a guy that sweats a ton, despite being in great shape. Hoping I could have more durability/investment in gear (Kutana), but realize I may have to opt for breathability instead (Chugach).

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
I had very poor results with both the Chugach and the Yukon jacket/pants. The fabric would saturate when exposed to a consistent light rain within about two hours. I was left with my inner layers soaked on a number of occasions. When I called Kuiu they tried to tell me it must have been my own body sweat. Sorry, no. My body does not sweat when still hunting. I sent both the chugach and yukon items back for inspection and received a replacements that I sold and went back to using gore-tex from sitka. Is kuiu's "dermizax" more breathable than gore-tex? Maybe, but with pit zips and leg zips on most rain shells the breathability difference is a non-issue. I want my rain gear to keep me dry and the kuiu was big disappointment. The fact that BOTH my chugach and yukon saturated in normal rain conditions leads me to believe it is a poor product and not a bad sample.

tdot

WKR
I've tried the Chugach and Kutana pants, head to head and settled on the Kutana pants for the reported additional durability and the thigh pocket (which the Chugach doesnt have and I missed it). I also own the Chugach jacket and while I'd considered swapping it out for a Kutana jacket, after the head to head pants comparison, I stayed with the Chugach jacket. I wore the Chugach on a sheep hunt this summer and I was impressed with it's durability after spending one particular day leaning against jagged granite, without a visible mark on it. However I've only had it for about a year, so unsure of its longterm durability.

OP
T

Tua

FNG
I had very poor results with both the Chugach and the Yukon jacket/pants. The fabric would saturate when exposed to a consistent light rain within about two hours. I was left with my inner layers soaked on a number of occasions. When I called Kuiu they tried to tell me it must have been my own body sweat. Sorry, no. My body does not sweat when still hunting. I sent both the chugach and yukon items back for inspection and received a replacements that I sold and went back to using gore-tex from sitka. Is kuiu's "dermizax" more breathable than gore-tex? Maybe, but with pit zips and leg zips on most rain shells the breathability difference is a non-issue. I want my rain gear to keep me dry and the kuiu was big disappointment. The fact that BOTH my chugach and yukon saturated in normal rain conditions leads me to believe it is a poor product and not a bad sample.

Wow, I’ve heard of some of the more breathable membrane rain gear saturating after some time. I guess that’s to be expected at some point of an extended downpour. But hadn’t heard that yet about the Yukon rain gear.

OP
T

Tua

FNG
I've tried the Chugach and Kutana pants, head to head and settled on the Kutana pants for the reported additional durability and the thigh pocket (which the Chugach doesnt have and I missed it). I also own the Chugach jacket and while I'd considered swapping it out for a Kutana jacket, after the head to head pants comparison, I stayed with the Chugach jacket. I wore the Chugach on a sheep hunt this summer and I was impressed with it's durability after spending one particular day leaning against jagged granite, without a visible mark on it. However I've only had it for about a year, so unsure of its longterm durability.

tdot did you notice any difference in breathability in your pants comparison?