Kuiu Kutana

My180sx

FNG
Well, here I sit trying to decide what to keep and what to return. I tend to run a bit cool once I settle in for a glassing session. When hiking, I can get pretty warm so I seem to run the spectrum.

I have a chinook jacket which I really like. I also have an axis jacket and pants for my late season set up.
I have a Skre down puffy for my puffy layer and an assortment of FL merino and Kuiu peloton base/mid layers. I have chugach rain gear and Yukon pants for truly wet days.

Sitting in my closet and returnable are:
Kutana soft shell - bought as an alternative to the chinook since it has a hood. Not sure if I should return it. go with it and sell the chinook, or keep both, alternating hooded vs hoodless based on potential moisture.

Kutana hybrid - bought it to check out. I like it, and it would be easier to put on that a peloton 200 zip but it is also heavier. I'm not a big fan of peloton, but it's lightweight makes it great as packable second layers.

Kenai Hooded - bought to wear under my outer layer if we are expecting rain and cold vs snow and cold. Figured the synthetic insulation would work better if it gets wet.

I don't need this many coats and need to narrow it down. I wish Kuiu would do a continuum for some of their measurements or a comparative review. I know they have the guides, which help some, but there is so much overlap in their product lines.
Ive been running the kutana hybrid and softshell all season and love the combo. The DWR treatment they use seems to yield better results then when applied to polyester. Also have the axis for late season which is almost completely waterproof dont even pack the chugach when I have my axis

Ive been running the kutana hybrid and softshell all season and love the combo. The DWR treatment they use seems to yield better results then when applied to polyester. Also have the axis for late season which is almost completely waterproof dont even pack the chugach when I have my axis
If I didn't have other insulation I think the hybrid would make more sense.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

parshal

WKR
I ran the hybrid this 4th Colorado season. The venting system on the front vs pit zips makes sense for archery. But, when having to wear orange it gets blocked. It worked well enough for me since it didn't get terribly warm but I can see it not venting as well in that situation.

Last edited:

RIELLY24

FNG
I wore the Kutana pants on a 7 day archery elk hunt. They were put to the test and they preformed as advertised, they were super durable and great weight to handle mid 30 degree temps in the early am and mid 60's during the day. Also the Kutana pant waist band doesn't stretch out like the some of the other KUIU lines.

excaliber

WKR
How quiet are these pants? Seeing that you were archery Elk hunting quiet pants are important to me.
Did you wear a baselayer under them in those temp conditions?

I wore the Kutana pants on a 7 day archery elk hunt. They were put to the test and they preformed as advertised, they were super durable and great weight to handle mid 30 degree temps in the early am and mid 60's during the day. Also the Kutana pant waist band doesn't stretch out like the some of the other KUIU lines.

RIELLY24

FNG
How quiet are these pants? Seeing that you were archery Elk hunting quiet pants are important to me.
Did you wear a baselayer under them in those temp conditions?

I didn’t notice that they were loud. I didnt use a base layer but I run hot and we were hiking a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How these fair in hot weather vs tiburon? Need to put the attacks away for the summer and wanna get a 80°+ pant

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
How these fair in hot weather vs tiburon? Need to put the attacks away for the summer and wanna get a 80°+ pant

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

The Kutanas have easily became my favorite pant and I have spent time in them in 70’s but not much more, never felt too hot, you can have the vents along with the thigh pockets open and all let air in really great. I have the Sitka version of the tiburons, but I’ll definitely be spending some time in my Kutanas this summer for scouting. If you can do both get both, but if you need one pant, the Kutanas are pretty amazing. Have yet to find one negative for me at least. You’ll be impressed with the durability over the attacks as well.