KUIU Layering Advice 0-50F Degree Temps

Mr2143

FNG
Planning a DIY backpacking elk hunting trip. The trip is likely to last about 7 days (2 days scouting and 5 days hunting). At this point, I’m going to assume either Northwestern Colorado or Western. I’d like to create a layering system that’s practical for wide ranges of temperatures and somewhat weatherproof. I’ve read through similar threads on here and have found KUIU’s suggested layering advice for certain temperature ranges (32-45, 32 and below, etc) but would ideally like to combine this into one layering system. Here are my inexperienced thoughts:

-Ultra Merino 145 (top/bottom)
-Pro Merino 200 (top/bottom)
-Kenai (top/bottom)
-Axis (top/bottom)
-Attack pants for warm weather
-Yukon for wet weather

Thanks for your feedback!

Last edited:

Wapack

FNG
Between 0-50 is a pretty big temp swing for what you have there. Are you hunting archery season or one of the 4 rifle seasons? I would save weight on the rain gear, you won't need yukon type durability. The more weight you can eliminate the better especially at elevation. If your already packing rain gear you won't need axis anything. Kenai stuff is not super warm. Its active insulation. If your in the single digits plus wind, you will need serious insulation pieces.

I'd revise your list. For down bottom and tops, look at other companies including non-hunting.

Bottom
* Attack Pants (personally would go Pro as they are tougher material)
* Peloton 97 (if cold while moving)
* PRO down pants (glassing)
* Yukon or Kutana gaiters

* Merino 145 Zip-T
* Peloton 97 top (if cold while moving)
* StrongFleece 260 or 280
* PRO down jacket (glassing)
* Peloton 240 (could be replaced with Chugach if weight is an issue)

Gloves
* Super Down Glassing Glommit (glassing)
* Axis (moving or cool temperatures)

Head
* Axis beanie
* Peloton 97 neck gaiter

Rain Gear
* Chugach (use to block wind when necessary)

This should get you close to your lower temperature limit (depending on how warm blooded you are) and get you higher than your upper temperature limit. Mix and match the layering items to suite your needs while in the field.

Axis is nice but heavy and too warm for your upper end in temperature range. Heavy merino is nice but sucks when wet if you have no way to dry it out. Kenai is better suited for moving and not sitting.

OP
M

Mr2143

FNG
Between 0-50 is a pretty big temp swing for what you have there. Are you hunting archery season or one of the 4 rifle seasons? I would save weight on the rain gear, you won't need yukon type durability. The more weight you can eliminate the better especially at elevation. If your already packing rain gear you won't need axis anything. Kenai stuff is not super warm. Its active insulation. If your in the single digits plus wind, you will need serious insulation pieces.
Thanks for the reply! Agreed, major temp swing- partially because it’s unclear of where exactly we’ll be going and partially because I would like to be prepared for whatever comes our way. I would like to buy the clothing now and be able to test it through your change of seasons. We are looking at early rifle as a strong possibility. From what I gather, Axis has some waterproofing capabilities to provide protection from very mild precipitation. I was planning to use it as an every day outer shell (read good feedback about its performance with wind). My thought was then switching out the Axis for Yukon if we encounter unfavorable precipitation. What do you think would be a better option?

My thought on the Kenai was having that active insulation available in colder temps while moving, but you’re right. If I’m stationary for prolong periods of time, I may suffer. Would the two layers of merino base and Kenai suffice under the Axis on colder days or do I need something with their Pro with Quixdown?

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
You have too much on your list. Youll need a sherpa. Heres my 2nd season colorado gear:
Bottom:
Merino 145
Sitka mt pants
Chugach
Gator

Top:
Merino 145
Peloton 200
Superdown pro
Yukon or cabelas space rain depending.
Fleece beenie
Cheap poly gloves
Kuiu glomitt

I never wear more than the 145 and peloton while hiking or it just gets sweaty. Your backpack keeps you warm. Rarely put 145 bottoms on. This gets me into the lower teens. Rain gear doubles as wind breaker. Carry some chemical heaters for emergency lows.

Poser

WKR
You can justify two different tops and at different weights, but absolutely no reason to have two baselayers bottoms. Pick a weight and go with it. Personally, I prefer the ~200 range for bottoms because if it’s cold enough to need them, it’s cold, but there is some variance for how your body heats up.

As others said, way too many clothes on this list. Pair it down.

OP
M

Mr2143

FNG
I'd revise your list. For down bottom and tops, look at other companies including non-hunting.

Bottom
* Attack Pants (personally would go Pro as they are tougher material)
* Peloton 97 (if cold while moving)
* PRO down pants (glassing)
* Yukon or Kutana gaiters

* Merino 145 Zip-T
* Peloton 97 top (if cold while moving)
* StrongFleece 260 or 280
* PRO down jacket (glassing)
* Peloton 240 (could be replaced with Chugach if weight is an issue)

Gloves
* Super Down Glassing Glommit (glassing)
* Axis (moving or cool temperatures)

Head
* Axis beanie
* Peloton 97 neck gaiter

Rain Gear
* Chugach (use to block wind when necessary)

This should get you close to your lower temperature limit (depending on how warm blooded you are) and get you higher than your upper temperature limit. Mix and match the layering items to suite your needs while in the field.

Axis is nice but heavy and too warm for your upper end in temperature range. Heavy merino is nice but sucks when wet if you have no way to dry it out. Kenai is better suited for moving and not sitting.
Just trying to make sure I understand your suggested setup. If I carried two base layers of merino with me alternating days and let the layer from the hunt that day air out and dry overnight be sufficient? Traditionally I do seem to favor merino over synthetic but have no personal experience with Kuiu’s line, so I would be happy to try them.

For the top suggestions, what would be your recommendation for an outer shell in the event I encounter thick brush? I’m afraid of ruining the peloton/merino/fleece layers. Is that where the Chugach also comes into play?

As far as gloves, my hands get cold FAST when stationary. I was leaning toward the Northstar since they advertise that as their warmest pair of gloves, but I guess that would severely limit my dexterity and fine motor movements as opposed to the glassing glommit for glassing, shooting, gear access, etc.

Just trying to make sure I understand your suggested setup. If I carried two base layers of merino with me alternating days and let the layer from the hunt that day air out and dry overnight be sufficient? Traditionally I do seem to favor merino over synthetic but have no personal experience with Kuiu’s line, so I would be happy to try them.

For the top suggestions, what would be your recommendation for an outer shell in the event I encounter thick brush? I’m afraid of ruining the peloton/merino/fleece layers. Is that where the Chugach also comes into play?

As far as gloves, my hands get cold FAST when stationary. I was leaning toward the Northstar since they advertise that as their warmest pair of gloves, but I guess that would severely limit my dexterity and fine motor movements as opposed to the glassing glommit for glassing, shooting, gear access, etc.
You can air dry clothes if it is dry (no rain and low humidity). If it is raining or high humidity, then air drying can be a lost cause. Can take a long time to “bake” dry heavy merino. Had a wet Pro Merino shirt for two weeks straight in AK; it sucked bad. Lesson learned: it stayed home when I went to Kodiak this past October.

I would not rely on the Chugach for my brush busting. I rather tear a shirt than tear my rain gear. The Peloton 240 and 260 are fairly durable; don’t own the 280 so I can’t comment on its durability.

If there is a task that require dexterity, I just remove the glommit/glove, perform the task, and put the glommit/glove back on.

Wapack

FNG
I wouldn’t worry too much about brush busting in Colorado. It’s not like Alaska or the Northwest. In my mind gear is a means to an end. It’s supposed to get dirty, bloody and have holes patched with duct tape everywhere haha. I’n all seriousness though the point of high end mountaineering or hunting gear is that it will not hold much moisture and will dry quickly on your body or in your sleeping bag with your body heat at night. Almost always I’m wearing things dry. For the weight to warmth ratio if you wanted to stick with Kuiu stuff I would consider the super down pro tops and bottoms. Everyone is different but I’m always amazed with how little clothes I need while moving even in low temps. If your putting out the kenai will be waaaayy to hot to hike in unless it’s super cold. And when your sitting glassing it’s not going to be near warm enough in later seasons. It’s great for September though. Or to layer under super down pro jacket when it’s really really cold.

Wapack

FNG
Thanks for the reply! Agreed, major temp swing- partially because it’s unclear of where exactly we’ll be going and partially because I would like to be prepared for whatever comes our way. I would like to buy the clothing now and be able to test it through your change of seasons. We are looking at early rifle as a strong possibility. From what I gather, Axis has some waterproofing capabilities to provide protection from very mild precipitation. I was planning to use it as an every day outer shell (read good feedback about its performance with wind). My thought was then switching out the Axis for Yukon if we encounter unfavorable precipitation. What do you think would be a better option?

My thought on the Kenai was having that active insulation available in colder temps while moving, but you’re right. If I’m stationary for prolong periods of time, I may suffer. Would the two layers of merino base and Kenai suffice under the Axis on colder days or do I need something with their Pro with Quixdown?
For backpacking I wouldn’t consider soft shells. Too heavy. Too hot. Way less waterproof there not anymore windproof, and there less breathable. The only upside is durability.I’m not saying they don’t have a place but If your living out of your pack you need versatility and low weight. It’s not worth carrying a soft shell in my opinion. It’s definitely not worth carrying both a soft shell and a hardshell.

Moserkr

WKR
For reference, here is my late season setup that works from 0-50 as follows:

Base Layer (if below 30*)
200 merino zip off bottoms
Darn tough socks
200 gram insulated boots
Attack pants
145 merino zip-T
200 merino zip-T or kutana hybrid jacket
Thats good down to 20* easy while hiking.

If near 0* while hiking I will add ultra down top/bottom, or if I stop to glass for extended periods of time, down layers will go on.

If its wet out at all higher than my yukon gaiters, i add chugach rain gear.

Headgear is the merino 145 balaclava, and the kenai beanie (favorite for warmth).

Gloves are the northstars (very warm), and peloton 118’s or whatever. I wear the base layer gloves down to 30. Northstars come out if its cold cold or wet, they are super warm n dry but bulky.

That all being said, you add wind in that 0* type cold of weather, you will be wearing every layer i listed. Id opt for the pro down over the ultra, it just wasnt out yet when I bought mine. Cheaper down of same quality can be found vs kuiu prices.

OP
M

Mr2143

FNG
Thanks for all of the information. It seems I need to dump the Kenai gear and replace it with down pro for warmth while stationary. I do want to bring a second base layer system to change out, so maybe I’ll replace one merino set with a peloton set. Would the Kutana be more beneficial than the Chugach for my scenario? The reason I ask is for better wind protection and encountering brush. They are just a few ounces apart from one another and seem like it would be advantageous for my needs.

Poser

WKR
Thanks for all of the information. It seems I need to dump the Kenai gear and replace it with down pro for warmth while stationary. I do want to bring a second base layer system to change out, so maybe I’ll replace one merino set with a peloton set. Would the Kutana be more beneficial than the Chugach for my scenario? The reason I ask is for better wind protection and encountering brush. They are just a few ounces apart from one another and seem like it would be advantageous for my needs.

The Kutana is definitely a bit burlier than the Chucagh. I wouldn’t worry about the Chucagh for brush busting in CO, though because that task is almost always relegated to fur and pine. Willow patches are usually relegated to locations where avalanches pile up and are, for the most part, avoidable.

Dennis

WKR
Good luck on your hunt and here are a few of my thoughts. Each Colorado season typically as different weather, snow and cold conditions. My expectations for an early rifle would depend on your elevation and maybe a review of expected weather when you arrive which makes your question difficult. Then when you add backpacking for 7 days I am not sure the best answer. My first thought is plan for a late season and work backwards, but Colorado weather can change quickly and so plan for the worst and hope for the best. Gear for backpacking should be as light as possible and scalable for the weather when you arrive. The earlier the season the less you might need. My system is an older setup so I have not used some of the newer lines. My best advise is to have plenty of layers for really cold weather then when you arrive see what layers you need and scale up or down depending on season, predicted weather, worst scenario, and have a really good sleeping bag ( I think a zero bag for October and -20 or so for November) and pad just in case or you need to wait out storms or get stranded or cold.

Top system I like
Base layer -Kuiu 125 wool zip top
Mid layer - Kuiu Peloton 97 hoodie or 200 hoodie (early or late rifle depending)
Soft shell - Kuiu Guide hooded jacket for cold weather or an older Chinook jacket without hood for mild weather - only carry one
Insulation layer - Ultra down Jacket and vest
Protection layer - Chugach rain gear jacket

Bottom system
Base layer - Kuiu 145 wool bottoms
Mid layer - Kuiu 97 Peloton bottoms
Soft shell - Kuiu Guide pants for cold weather or Attack pants for mild weather
Insulation layer - Kuiu Ultra down pants
Protection layer - Chugach rain gear pants

Additional items
Florescent Orange - Kenai Beanie, baseball cap and hunting vest
Hands - ULTRA Merino 210 Gloves, Strongfleece 220 Glove and Super Down Pro Glassing Glomitt
Neck Gaiter or silk scarf
Yukon boot Gaiters
Boots - Lowa Hunter GTX Evo Extreme Insulated leather boots for mild weather and Schnee's Pack boots for colder snowy weather with extra liners. Some toe and hand warmers can also be a good idea.

Usually with this system and maybe some adjustments I can find some combination that will work for the weather I find when I arrive. The rain gear is usually just for additional wind protection, wet snow or brush. The down layers can be worn around camp, when glassing or under rain gear if really cold and windy. Some of the newer Kuiu product might be better than those I have listed and we all are just sharing ideas that you might consider. I wish it was simpler but what works for one may not work for us all. Good luck