Kuiu Layering Advice?

Corey

FNG
Hey Guys, Ive been reading on here for quite a while, thought Id make a post. Starting DIY elk hunting next fall (early sept) in CO, so far this is what I have for Kuiu clothing..

Tops- Peloton 118 long sleeve, Peloton 118 1/4 zip, peloton 200 hoody, peloton 240 full zip hoody
Bottom- kutana pants.

i plan on ordering the peloton zip off bottoms and also taking an Under Armour turtle neck. Would you guys recommend anything MORE for layering? Should I need a soft shell and/or a puffy?

Clarence

WKR
Backpack or truck camping? How long? I wouldn't be able to stand my stink wearing synthetic top for a week. I would want a merino t for my base. I would want a light puffy and rain coat. Leave the under armor at the truck. I thought that stuff was great, until I acquired good base layers

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

OP
C

Corey

FNG
Backpack or truck camping? How long? I wouldn't be able to stand my stink wearing synthetic top for a week. I would want a merino t for my base. I would want a light puffy and rain coat. Leave the under armor at the truck. I thought that stuff was great, until I acquired good base layers

I apologize, it will be backpacking in. The whole trip will be about 14 days, plan on hunting 3-4 days at a time then restocking at basecamp and heading back out. I tried merino base layers but I cant handle the fabric maybe? I break out and itch.

Some people stink up synthetics more than others. I don't have that problem thankfully and my Peloton 118s work great. I also find my Kuiu merino 145 tops MUCH more comfy than merino from Icebreaker, LLBean, and Cabelas. Whole different level of comfy.

Last edited:

j33

WKR
My Sitka synthetic top (lightweight hoody) handles my stink much better than my 118 shirt. I don’t think I could go more than 2 days with the 118, I can with m my Sitka.

I’d consider a merino top to try also.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would you guys recommend anything MORE for layering? Should I need a soft shell and/or a puffy?

most definitely you're going to want to bring an insulating layer; you'll likely see some warmer weather, but just as likely to see some colder weather

my layering (regardless of season, the layers just change) system is a

base layer top/bottom- looks like you'll have that covered
softshell pants (weight dependent on weather)
active mid-layer- can be an appropriate weight fleece top or some of the newer synthetics ie Polartec Alpha, etc
wind layer- lightweight windshirt
puffy layer for camp/meals/glassing- dependent on expected weather

slick

WKR
most definitely you're going to want to bring an insulating layer; you'll likely see some warmer weather, but just as likely to see some colder weather

my layering (regardless of season, the layers just change) system is a

base layer top/bottom- looks like you'll have that covered
softshell pants (weight dependent on weather)
active mid-layer- can be an appropriate weight fleece top or some of the newer synthetics ie Polartec Alpha, etc
wind layer- lightweight windshirt
puffy layer for camp/meals/glassing- dependent on expected weather

I’d also add a rain set to the above list and you’re covered. I have gotten away without packing in rain pants on some mid sept archery hunts, and likely don’t need a bomber jacket (just a lightweight one) think of something along kuiu’s chugach line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jolemons

WKR
I'll reinforce what has been said. You're missing a puffy and rain shell. Optional would be merino top base layer and rain pants. I also enjoy gaiters, but to each their own.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
C

Corey

FNG
I cannot afford to buy Kuiu rain gear at this time, would Frogg Toggs or Tidewe raingear be sufficient? Any off brand puffys? Ive been looking a lot at Eddie Bauer and Freedom Industries

TBHasler

WKR
I think you’d be fine with Eddie Bauer puffys most any time and especially early season. Costco by me just had them for $30 (650 fill)

The rain gear is always tougher for me in early season - usually rain passes. Usually fast, so I don’t plan on having to hunt in it. But, if you get extended weather and you have limited time (I always have only 7-8 days at most) I want to be able to hunt in the rain. That means frog toggs are out. Cabelas space rain gear or similar is $150 -$180 for full set. Quieter and you can move and hunt in it if need be.
If that price point is too steap just buy what you can, know how it may limit you and plan accordingly
Good luck

Clarence

WKR
I cannot afford to buy Kuiu rain gear at this time, would Frogg Toggs or Tidewe raingear be sufficient? Any off brand puffys? Ive been looking a lot at Eddie Bauer and Freedom Industries
Eddie Bauer is great for a budget lightweight puffy. Check out marmot precip for a rain jacket. Best bang for your buck in my opinion.

stump06

WKR
Eddie Bauer also has a cheap rain jacket with pit zips. Cant remember the name or speak to the durability as I've only worn it casually.
Outdoor research Helium rain jacket would also be a good option.
Kryptek did have their lykos puffy on sale for about $80, might still be. A puffy wouldn't be a bad idea as it can get cold at night or if the wind picks up

j33

WKR
Eddie Bauer also has a cheap rain jacket with pit zips. Cant remember the name or speak to the durability as I've only worn it casually.
Outdoor research Helium rain jacket would also be a good option.
Kryptek did have their lykos puffy on sale for about $80, might still be. A puffy wouldn't be a bad idea as it can get cold at night or if the wind picks up

I bought the Eddie Bauer Cloudcap in forest green at clearance price for $50 this spring, pit zips and only 10oz. Reviews I read were good, only used once in 1 small shower so no real experience. Very loud though.
Also paid the same for the forest green Rainfoil Packable, really quiet and used a few times in snow/rain, but it’s heavy at 22oz.