KUIU Layering System - Am I off on these pieces?

First off, I'm a long-time reader of this forum. I love it. So much information here that has helped a backcountry newbie really get into it. Thank you all.

So I am headed off on a November AZ Deer hunt and am looking to get some pieces. I'm pretty set on Kuiu and am thinking I'll use these pieces. Please let me know your experience with them or if you think I'm off on them.

1. Baselayer - Peloton 97 Hoody
2. Overshirt - Peloton 200 quarter zip - T
3. Intermediate Fleece - StrongFleece Hybrid 260 Hoody
- This should break the wind well and keep me warm without needing a puffy.

4. Puffy - Kifaru LPP
5. Rain gear

Is this overkill? I hunt AZ, UT, NM and Wyoming. I am hoping that this will be versatile enough to let me hunt Early Season bear in AZ and do late season deer or whatever anywhere else.

Looking forward to your input.

OP
J
Also considering running the Peloton 118 LS instead of the 97 with the 200 hoody over it as my mid layer and the 260 hybrid as my fleece layer.

Chuck44

FNG
Well since you have not received much feedback, I will throw in my 2 cents.
I dont' like a hoody on a baselayer unless it is for sun protection. I feel more of a draft around my neck if my baselayer has a hoody compared to a tight fit on the neck.

I do like a hoody on my 2nd layer.

I am not that familiar with KUIU's synthetics but it sounds like to me that the "Overshirt" layer is not needed (except for perhaps in extreme cold) and you could do with:
1) Baselayer
2) Intermediate with hoody that also serves as a softshell....i.e. strongfleece 260
3) Puffy
4) Raingear

That is pretty close to the system I use....albeit in First Lite, and I feel like it can take me comfortably in to the teens. This will vary depending on the weight and quality of the Puffy though.

OP
J
Well since you have not received much feedback, I will throw in my 2 cents.
I dont' like a hoody on a baselayer unless it is for sun protection. I feel more of a draft around my neck if my baselayer has a hoody compared to a tight fit on the neck.

I do like a hoody on my 2nd layer.

I am not that familiar with KUIU's synthetics but it sounds like to me that the "Overshirt" layer is not needed (except for perhaps in extreme cold) and you could do with:
1) Baselayer
2) Intermediate with hoody that also serves as a softshell....i.e. strongfleece 260
3) Puffy
4) Raingear

That is pretty close to the system I use....albeit in First Lite, and I feel like it can take me comfortably in to the teens. This will vary depending on the weight and quality of the Puffy though.
I think I was trying to cover my early season with that 97. What I think I'll do instead is use my Sitka Core LW for that early season. I'll run a synthetic or merino crew baselayer. Then I'll run the 200 on top of that.

hammerguy

FNG
Where you are in AZ will make a big difference.
In the south, I sweat with anything more than a long sleeved shirt. The puffy, and a pad to sit on, while glassing is invaluable.
Go north and it gets quite cold so your proposed system is more reasonable.

OP
J
Where you are in AZ will make a big difference.
In the south, I sweat with anything more than a long sleeved shirt. The puffy, and a pad to sit on, while glassing is invaluable.
Go north and it gets quite cold so your proposed system is more reasonable.
All over AZ. Looking for versatility. This November will be a cold Northern hunt.

Where in AZ are you hunting? I ask since there's a huge temperature differential between the units. The southern units tend to be hot and things tend to be cooler the further north you go. If hunting the northern units, plan on any kind of weather during the hunt.

Use a lightweight short sleeve shirt (ex: Peloton 118 or ULTRA Merino 125). Depending conditions, this may be your only layer for part of the day. I do prefer to also have a lightweight, long sleeve shirt to go over. it. Think Peloton 118 or the ULTRA Merino 145. Can provide a bit of extra warmth as well as protection from the sun.

Do not bother with the Peloton 97; go straight to the Peloton 200 or the StrongFleece 210. I do recommended going with the hooded version for the additional warmth. This layer will not come into play unless it is cool or cold.

Bring a puffy of your choice. Plan to use this with and without the Peloton 200 or StrongFleece 210 depending on conditions. This layer will not come into play unless it is cold.

I do recommend getting a Peloton 240 with the hood. While it does not provide much warmth it does do a very good job at blocking the wind. I do not have experience with the StrongFleece. Depending the situation, you can wear over your shirt, your mid-layer, your puffy, or any combination thereof. This layer does not come into play unless it is cool or cold.

Go simple on the rain gear. Strong likelihood you won't need it. If you do need it, it is likely that you won't need it for long. Just having it will go a long ways to ensuring that there won't be any rain. Due to the number of things that can puncture, snag, and/or tear the rain gear, I do not recommend using it for blocking the wind.

OP
J
Where in AZ are you hunting? I ask since there's a huge temperature differential between the units. The southern units tend to be hot and things tend to be cooler the further north you go. If hunting the northern units, plan on any kind of weather during the hunt.

Use a lightweight short sleeve shirt (ex: Peloton 118 or ULTRA Merino 125). Depending conditions, this may be your only layer for part of the day. I do prefer to also have a lightweight, long sleeve shirt to go over. it. Think Peloton 118 or the ULTRA Merino 145. Can provide a bit of extra warmth as well as protection from the sun.

Do not bother with the Peloton 97; go straight to the Peloton 200 or the StrongFleece 210. I do recommended going with the hooded version for the additional warmth. This layer will not come into play unless it is cool or cold.

Bring a puffy of your choice. Plan to use this with and without the Peloton 200 or StrongFleece 210 depending on conditions. This layer will not come into play unless it is cold.

I do recommend getting a Peloton 240 with the hood. While it does not provide much warmth it does do a very good job at blocking the wind. I do not have experience with the StrongFleece. Depending the situation, you can wear over your shirt, your mid-layer, your puffy, or any combination thereof. This layer does not come into play unless it is cool or cold.

Go simple on the rain gear. Strong likelihood you won't need it. If you do need it, it is likely that you won't need it for long. Just having it will go a long ways to ensuring that there won't be any rain. Due to the number of things that can puncture, snag, and/or tear the rain gear, I do not recommend using it for blocking the wind.
I'm hunting up North. The Kaibab. After doing some more research that's the plan. After baselayer I'm planning to run the 200. Debating between the 240 or 210 as an intermediate fleece layer.

I always have my puffy and rain gear.

I really appreciate the insights. Great stuff.