Kuiu lumbar pressure

i have spent hours adjusting my Kuiu pro suspension and can’t get away from an uncomfortable lumbar pressure. Have also called Kuiu and went through the process with them and nothing could be found. Just wondering if anyone else is getting this lumbar presssure with their Kuiu pack? If so anything that helped?

Clarence

WKR
Did you try using the thinner lumbar pad? I had all of the pads in and it caused pressure. I had to move my lumbar pad up a little as well.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Backyard

WKR
Is your belt sitting on top of your hip bones/pelvis? If it's too low, it (the pad)won't be in that hollow in the lumbar area above your glutes, it will just press into the top of your glutes, creating the pressure feeling that you reference.

Northpark

WKR
Tough. Pack fit is so individual. I personally love my kuiu pack but others do not. I don’t know how tall you are but if you have the wrong size frame fit could be problematic. I’d suggest making sure you have the correct size frame and then as long as you’re good there then get the hip belt on your hips and all the straps adjusted then note if you need to move that lumbar pad up or down to line up with the small of your back

OP
O
Tough. Pack fit is so individual. I personally love my kuiu pack but others do not. I don’t know how tall you are but if you have the wrong size frame fit could be problematic. I’d suggest making sure you have the correct size frame and then as long as you’re good there then get the hip belt on your hips and all the straps adjusted then note if you need to move that lumbar pad up or down to line up with the small of your back
I actually did move up to the xtra tall because the tall was to short. Kuiu would not exchange due to policy of being beyond the 60 days which kind of sucked but my own fault for not getting on it earlier I guess. I’ll try playing with the lumbar pad some more.

eugenesan

FNG
I am experiencing similar issue with KUIU Pro suspension.

They supply the lumbar pad with a "huge" foam insert and another one to make it even better.
Those two pads together are sticking ~2" beyond hip belt surface and is very stiff when compared to other packs. Who are their intended customers?

The problem is that preinstalled insert is non removable (at least without damaging the pad) and even if was the optional insert is not good for the job (too thin, too stiff and non-vented).

When I returned by bag, I've proposed to supply the bag with 2 vented inserts (each half the size of the current one) and the same optional one they supply now.
TBH, I am sure they will ignore my suggestion since their current solution is good enough for most.

Also, they offer only one size of shoulder straps which is a problem for people with short torso.
The straps even when in the lowest position (touching the lumbar pad) are still too long for torso under 17" and causing "bunching" of the straps on the back and shift forward of the load lifter sling strap base. Those two together cause tilt backward of the pack and incomplete contact of the straps with the back.

I spent days trying to find correct fit and almost convinced myself that I am doing something wrong until I've found a video (
) in which KUIU reps demonstrated my issue and claimed that is how it should be. The problem is my old APLS Traverse EPS for 1/5 of the cost doesn't have the issue and fits much better.

I think KUIU are not willing or just incapable to help everyone using their current marketing/manufacturing model.
They prefer to have single model lumbar pad and shoulder strap at a cost of loosing some business.
That is unfortunate since the technologies they utilize (materials and designs) are great and sometimes they have incredible sales.
Well, there is always Kifaru, Exo and SG who will gladly receive our money for more customized products.

68Plexi

WKR

They supply the lumbar pad with a "huge" foam insert and another one to make it even better.
Those two pads together are sticking ~2" beyond hip belt surface and is very stiff when compared to other packs. Who are their intended customers?

The problem is that preinstalled insert is non removable (at least without damaging the pad) and even if was the optional insert is not good for the job (too thin, too stiff and non-vented).

When I returned by bag, I've proposed to supply the bag with 2 vented inserts (each half the size of the current one) and the same optional one they supply now.
TBH, I am sure they will ignore my suggestion since their current solution is good enough for most.

Also, they offer only one size of shoulder straps which is a problem for people with short torso.
The straps even when in the lowest position (touching the lumbar pad) are still too long for torso under 17" and causing "bunching" of the straps on the back and shift forward of the load lifter sling strap base. Those two together cause tilt backward of the pack and incomplete contact of the straps with the back.

I spent days trying to find correct fit and almost convinced myself that I am doing something wrong until I've found a video (
) in which KUIU reps demonstrated my issue and claimed that is how it should be. The problem is my old APLS Traverse EPS for 1/5 of the cost doesn't have the issue and fits much better.

I think KUIU are not willing or just incapable to help everyone using their current marketing/manufacturing model.
They prefer to have single model lumbar pad and shoulder strap at a cost of loosing some business.
That is unfortunate since the technologies they utilize (materials and designs) are great and sometimes they have incredible sales.
Well, there is always Kifaru, Exo and SG who will gladly receive our money for more customized products.

What a time to be alive and have so many options! We are all shaped differently and if I’ve learned anything from all the pack threads I’ve read, some packs just fit some people better than others. All of these companies are using excellent technology and materials considering what my dad used to wear in the 70’s.

I had a similar fitting issue with my icon pro when it was loaded down but that went away completely when I upgraded to the newer frame and suspension, even without adding the extra lumbar pad. And because the packs generally keep their value, it wasn’t much $ to upgrade after I sold the older one.

Good luck in your search! You’ve got a lot of good companies to choose from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just ordered a Kuiu pro suspension for an upcoming elk hunt based on my sons review of the functionality and comfort. Hope i don’t have the lumbar issue

eugenesan

FNG
I, also, ordered KUIU Pro bag.
I was going to order Kifaru pack when KUIU sale started (ended today) and after comparing costs of comparable setups (Kifaru is almost 3 times more expansive), I decided to give this pack another try.
But, this time I ordered two sizes of the frame.

My inspiration came from reviewing the photo of my self wearing the pack (I highly recommend you take pictures of your self while testing the pack). and the following review: https://www.longrangeonly.com/forum/threads/kuiu-7800-pro-backpack-review.7920/
First pack sat way too low with Tall frame (I tested the pack with #32 of load) despite me being 5'-10" high with 17" torso and since the guy in the review was happy with Extra Tall frame, I decided to test that configuration.

Hope I'll manage to fit it this time and if the pad gives me troubles I am prepared to "trim" it.
Luckily I am getting the bag at 30% discount (25% sale + rewards I've collected) so it will be less painful to irreversibly modify this expansive piece of equipment.

jzelk

FNG
I had the same lumbar issue with the Kuiu bag. Sold it and bought a SG.

manitou1

WKR
Man, it is amazing how different we a are.
The Kuiu Pro system is the most comfortable pack I have ever used. Sticks to my back like a monkey hanging on and super stable. I love this system!
Sorry it is not working for you. Best of luck in your search.

eugenesan

FNG
Just wanted to post an update on my experience with my 2nd KUIU pack.

After receiving the second pack (Pro5500LT), I've spent many hours trying to eliminate the lumbar pad issue but failed.

The next day, I was doing another pass on various instructional videos and in one of them the guy mentioned in passing the need to loosen the lower "Load stabilizer straps" before fitting the pack.
I tried it and surprise, no more lumbar pressure!

I've spent a week hunting with the pack (24miles @ 50lbs and 8miles @ 35Lbs) and must say that I had no issues with lumbar portion.
I am still trying to find comfortable configuration of the shoulder straps but overall the pack is usable and is excellent for long day trips with 35lbs or less.

Though, I wouldn't pay the full retail price for it unless I tried Kifaru and SeekOutside prior.

Old post I know. However, I just came across it because I'm having similar issues. Smaller built guys are lucky. Being a bigger guy doesn't help with pack options like Kuiu. Two belt sizes is terrible when considered a HIGH END pack. A minimum of 3 sizes on CUSTOM packs should be standard. Two sizes of shoulder straps are a must as well. The third problem is the load lifter straps are permanently sewn onto the shoulder straps. So you have no ability to properly position the load lifters. I really wanted to give this pack a shot because I like their actual pack bags. These are issues brought up dozens of times but fall on deaf ears.....

Last edited:

I have suggested things many times for years to Kuiu about their packs. Not that I am anyone. But I have spent over $13k in packs alone in my lifetime to date. You seriously learn what works, doesn't work, etc. Some companies are content pleasing a few people. Then you have Companies like Kifaru and Exo. Who prove day in day out they listen to their customers. But.... Years ago i used to talk to Patrick Smith practically every month. Definitely a great man. He himself would never budge on new ideas. Thank god for Aron who brought so many new and great things to Kifaru. Can't win them all I guess....

Last edited: