Kuiu makes the big swim......

Shrek

WKR
I just got a fabric sample kit from grey wolf woolens. Made in USA and custom sizing. I need xxlt size on shirts. Getting very hard to find clothes in tall sizes. I'm going to try their stuff. If anyone here has had any of their stuff please let me know what you think.

Hmmm.... Start a hot start up clothing company. Create high demand. "Vertically Integrate" with W.L. Gore. Hey that worked pretty good, let's try it again! Ok, so what random Alaska name can I use this time? Sitka worked last time, so let me look on a map of SE Alaska... I wonder what company competes with Gore??

Can't say I'm shocked. The NA thing was cool, but obviously not working from a production standpoint.

I'd be interested to know what all Toray is getting out of the deal if they are giving him the priority he says they are. I'm also curious who Kuiu's investors are and how much say they have in the way the company is run.

Yk

idig4au

WKR
Wow some pretty harsh comments and backlash over this business decision.

Hard to find any clothing not made in China these days. Personally, if the product works the best and the quality is there, then I really don't care where its made. I'm all about function and the end result...having the product work. As long as the made in China Kuiu is of the same quality and performance, than I will still use it.

I seem to remember some comments on either this board or another one regarding some of the quality issues of Kuiu products made in Canada. Hard to please everyone....

I'm glad I have the american made Kuiu. But all of you guys need to understand we live in a global economy. Until china's workforce starts demanding wages like ours, people will outsource to give you a better price point and increase revenue because of the cost cutting. All of you with Iphone's... they are made in China. All of you who complain about this and drive a foreign car, your point is moot. It's a shame but that's the way it is. I've seen the devastation of people supporting companies that are based in Japan/China locally. We just have to deal with it, or keep reinventing to keep america on top. The days of the american manufacturing are dwindling.

Last edited:

JG358

WKR
. All of you who complain about this and drive a foreign car, your point is moot.

Guess I can talk all the crap I want then.... My truck was made in Flint ;)

They were bound to make a move sooner or later just for the sake of keeping up with demand. Be interesting to see what happens with the quality of their products.

Unfortunately, the gravity of China for any manufacturing business is commensurate to that of a black hole: nothing seems to escape it.

I am disappointed with this business decision, however there is a positive avenue to consider and that is to appeal to Jason. By design, Jason created Kuiu using an organic, customer-feedback business model and there is plenty of evidence that he responds to feedback.

This move is most likely motivated by the fact that the demand for Kuiu product exceeds the supply capability of the Canadian mill (old Arc'teryx plant). Consequently, Jason and staff have been facing all sorts of criticism over back orders and missed delivery promises.

With enough positive and constructive feedback from his customers, it would be irresponsible for Jason not to provide some justification and to consider alternatives.

Higbean

FNG
In my business a large client that needs me to produce more will find me hiring more staff and buying more equipment. Why wouldn't you use a sewing house that is willing to grow their business with you? Seems like a no brainer. That is until the bean counters arrive and ship more jobs over to China. I hate them bean counters.

Dixie07

Lil-Rokslider
I personally had rather pay more and plan more to have the right gear, than to buy stuff made in China. I paid more to get KUIU vs. Sitka, as I get a 40% discount off of Sitka. I now may be rethinking this decision.

JG358

WKR
In my business a large client that needs me to produce more will find me hiring more staff and buying more equipment. Why wouldn't you use a sewing house that is willing to grow their business with you? Seems like a no brainer. That is until the bean counters arrive and ship more jobs over to China. I hate them bean counters.

Hard to find a good sewing shop any where, let alone in country.

cmeier117

WKR
I figured it was going to happen sooner or later. I am sure the quality will still be top notch. I kinda wish Jason would have went the Schoeller fabric route...

Higbean

FNG
Hard to find a good sewing shop any where, let alone in country.

It sounds like he found one. And you can't tell me that there aren't Americans/Canadians who sew that need jobs. It's a money grab.

JG358

WKR
It sounds like he found one. And you can't tell me that there aren't Americans/Canadians who sew that need jobs. It's a money grab.

They did but if they cant expand and keep up with demand, they dont do Kuiu much good do they?

After talking to some folks at Kifaru, Id say its harder than one would think to find quality sewers. It's a dying art in this country as I'm sure it is in many other places.

dotman

WKR
They did but if they cant expand and keep up with demand, they dont do Kuiu much good do they?

After talking to some folks at Kifaru, Id say its harder than one would think to find quality sewers. It's a dying art in this country as I'm sure it is in many other places.

Doesn't sound like it was the sewers in Canada holding up the process, Toray or however you spell is running the show, they gave Jason top priority if he would move to their in-house sewers.Plain and simple he will sell this company and start another using e-vent material, again he will market it as NA made and sell out, in the end he is just a sell out that we should not support.

Hardstalk

WKR

How old is your truck? What make? I thought the same with my dodge. I dug deep enough and majority of it comes from ole mexico and a large portion from japan.

Shrek

WKR
I'm going to start a thread to list made in USA clothing. If anyone knows of a US manurfacturer please post. It is getting very hard to find made in USA clothes.

JG358

WKR

How old is your truck? What make? I thought the same with my dodge. I dug deep enough and majority of it comes from ole mexico and a large portion from japan.

Was meant as a tounge in cheek smart azz coment but its a 06 Chevy 2500. Has the Proudly made in Flint MI sticker on the drivers door. My Honda was US made as well, cant say the same about my Expediton... its from Mexico.

JG358

WKR
I'm going to start a thread to list made in USA clothing. If anyone knows of a US manurfacturer please post. It is getting very hard to find made in USA clothes.

Are their any? From what tags Ive checked, I dont think any of my hunting clothing is made in the US.

dotman

WKR

My Honda and my wife's Honda are made in KY.