Kuiu makes the big swim......

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
The average american doesnt pack in the mountains for a diy hunt either, people on this site like quality gear. BUY and Support domestic products when ever you can you owe it to yourself and the country you call home!

dotman

WKR
You girls sound like a bunch of bowsiters!

Naw, but when you order 1k worth of clothes on preorder expecting them to be made in NA and then find out it has a made in China tag, you get angry. Just glad I had time to cancel my order.

Wouldn't you be mad if your Kifaru pack came with a Made in China tag while advertised made in US? Well we know that won't happen atleast.

Dotman i fully understand! I will always be willing to buy the american made products and pay the premium. I just don't believe it is worth the argument in the global economy we live in.

dotman

WKR
Dotman i fully understand! I will always be willing to buy the american made products and pay the premium. I just don't believe it is worth the argument in the global economy we live in.

How else can a group get word out? Will this change anything probably not but it may create another option. Heck it may make Jason rethink his plans but probably not. This is really the only public way to show Kuiu customers are not happy. Have to make a stand somewhere and already 95% of hunting gears comes from China, hate to see that go to 100%. Good thing I wear solids though, other options are available.

JG358

WKR
That expedition was made in Dearborn. I can also show you that plant. :)

I'd like to say your right but... Nope. At least not according to Ford.

I've been to several of the plants up there but that doesn't change the fact that they make them else where to. Kinda like the GM plant that we picked up our astro from on the other side of the lake(Canada).

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
One would think that kuiu being a sponser, someone who works there will read this but you never know.

idig4au

WKR
okay enough already...when is this going to go back to some meaniful discussions on hunting and gear? Enough whining about Kuiu and their business model. At the end of the day, JH has a business to run. If you don't like it, than so be it, don't support the business. Your choice. But its like 40 posts saying the same thing. Lots of subject matter experts here that I doubt really know what JH's ultimate plan is.

At this point, I hope a moderator locks this thread

Jimbob

WKR
WOW so many ignorant comments on this subject.

1. Jason made a bad move when he didn't tell people the switch to China. He misrepresented his company and deceived people. A mistake he apologizes for and is offering full returns for anyone with made in china gear

2. he has not sold the company to Toray so why get upset about it? Getting upset about something that hasn't even happened makes you sound like a 13 yr old girl.

3. This is about money, by terms of growth though. He is not making any more money per garment sold but he is now able to sell more garments which does equal more money. This also allows people to get their gear on time so you don't hear people whining about not be able to go scouting because their pants didn't arrive.

His original business model could not meet the demand that was seen in the first 3 months. He tried to adapt the model but it has not worked out. He needed to change something to meet demand and grow. It seems a lot of people think he should just have been happy to make the money he was and leave it at that. Let people wait for the clothes and the ones that are mad about this can leave and the ones that like made in NA are willing to wait.

He has promised higher quality and better stock hopefully that happens.

magpie

Banned
3. This is about money, by terms of growth though. He is not making any more money per garment sold

You really believe that? You are right its about money. More money in his pocket. Less in the workers. Why pay a fair wage in the US when you can pay someone overseas a few cents? Come on man, stop drinking the kool aid.

I will never buy a kuiu product after reading about the already inferior quality in the US. It will not get better going overseas.

Jimbob

WKR
Why would I not believe him? Maybe I can look at past events in history and become bitter and cynical and judge every person here on after in that light but I choose not too. If in the days or years to come we find out that Jason lied to us then it is not our problem but HIS.

OP
R

red

Wow, it sure seems like Kuiu is going through a rough patch. First the Made in China drama, now sizing issues with the new made in china gear and some bad design changes. It will be interesting to see how they make out. I know i'm going to hold off for a while now and see where things go.

It does disappoint me a little. I understand the cost of labor and manufacturing. I thought it was Japan also which makes more sense since Toray is out of Osaka, Japan. Luckily ALL my KUIU has the Maple Leaf in it!

You guys should read his latest blog... I'll continue to buy their quality gear, hopefully used and in great shape now! ;)

Mike

stephen b

WKR
Oh crap- should have saved the tags.

I prefer not to have tags on clothing- especially base layers and I cut off all the long tags with the maple leaf and "Made in Canada" on the few items from Kuiu that I bought.

So if I sell them in the future- will you believe me, or will you call me a lier. ;^)

stephen b

WKR
On a somewhat more serious note- this is disappointing; but not surprising. Even our beloved Pendleton wool shirts that were made for ever here in Oregon moved to Mexico a # of years ago. Who knows- may not be long before Filson picks up and moves out of the country. Maybe then their motto will become- "You used to have the best".

Sad state of affairs.

stephen b

WKR
Concerning quality staying the same when moving production- well that is debatable. When Pendleton moved their wool sewing to "assembled in Mexico" the quality is not the same as the USA made shirts were. The wool was still made/ woven here ( and still might be) and then was shipped off to Mexico for "assembling"/ sewing.

Well, a few years ago ( probably 10) I spoke with one of the customer service reps in Portland and asked her what her opinion was of the Mexican stuff. She said- " well, the wool fabric is still the same as it always is because it is still manufactured and woven here like it has been for years. But it is the assembling part where you can see a difference. When it was all sewn here by the same people that did it for years and who all knew each other very well- the quality was just better, and you can see it in the seems, etc." She said- "You have to expect that, because you can't just go and replicate that." and she said- "The average person may not be able to tell, but we can- for one because I think, in fact I know our quality control was better before".

I can tell also, because I have A Lot of the real old Pendleton wool shirts and have a couple of the "Assembled in Mexico" ones that I got as presents; and you can tell if you look close, the quality is not the same.

Funny thing- ( well really not that funny) just like all these deals, they never pass the savings on to the consumer. Because as soon as they moved to Mexico, their prices stayed the same and have kept going up over the years.

I think their blankets may be still USA made, but not sure on that.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I like their stuff and if the quality is the same I'll still purchase it as it seems superior to all the Sitka stuff I have seen in action in the field. Only time will tell I guess. Hard for me to get too worked up about this given that almost everything hunting clothing related is made over seas. Would have been nice to have it still made/assembled in Canada, but such as life. Certainly not going to start a boycott or lose sleep over it.

bowhnter7

Lil-Rokslider
I'm on the front lines in the battle against China everyday and get my nose bloody all the time but in certain sectors American Manufacturing is still strong and doing very well.

It's not always price driven. Many times it's lead-time, the cost is a given that they are going to be cheaper. Dissapointing to hear but not suprised either.

Good luck to Jason, his company and it's customers.

OBP

WKR
I'm with luke, going to stay with their stuff as it is far better than anything else I've seen or used.