Kuiu makes the big swim......

R

red

What are your thoughts on the news of Kuiu making the switch to made in China?

muleman

WKR
I personally would prefer KUIU to be 100% US made. Cut and sewn in Canada wasn't too bad. I'll have to think hard about this change.

We are giving away our future by outsourcing and purchasing things made outside the US. Yeah I know everything is made outside the US theses days. This is why I really like supporting the cottage manufacturers, Katabatic Gear, Titanium Goat, Seek Outside, Six Moon Designs and even the not so cottage Kifaru. If a US cottage manufacturer has what I need. I'm willing to spend a little more for the their product.

im with you muleman, the only exceptions im really OK to make is sometimes going european like guns and boots. i guess i put kuiu in the same category. really too bad to hear this....

TEmbry

WKR
If true I'm pretty dissapointed with my recent $1000 order. This was the reason I went with them over Sitka. Soon they will be in retail stores as well probably

Not too excited about it, but what are ya going to do? Only piece of Kuiu I own is a Spindrift... If there's an equal quality USA made product then I'll be going with that in the future, but as of now the Chugach set is still on my wishlist.

Mike

hodgeman

WKR
I"m pretty disappointed in the move and am, as of now, done with them. I like most of their products and I felt they represented a decent value given their location of manufacture.

I'll keep plugging away at finding U.S. stuff where I can.

Hardstalk

WKR
Its a tough line for a company to come too. In one hand you know darn well every american at the company wants them to stay american made. But how do they expand? And create price point stuff that anyone can buy. Gotta ship it out. I understand both sides of the spectrum. Dont necessarily agree but understand. (dont attack me just throwing it out there) :)

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
I'll take the wait and see approach on this one. It would be nice to see them stay in NA but we do operate in a global economy. As long as quality does not suffer. Their supply chain was certainly not as efficient as it could be. I have faith in the company but time will tell.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been waiting on a pair of pants from them since June, might have been may! When I preordered the,, they promised me they would be here for my August hunt, that's the whole reason I went with kuiu. I'm really comsidering selling my kuiu on eBay and going with Sitka, I've missed too many scouting trips and hunts on a promise they didn't keep. If they do go to china, that might be the last straw. I really like their stuff that I own but I like Sitka as well........ Decisions decisions

Thanks for the info.

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
We have enough craptastic china made stuff to chose from it was nice to see something fairly domestic for once but money talks and china is cheaper. One thing I don't understand about the hunting industry is the people making the products don't even hunt. When was the last time you saw a hunt take place in china?

barmar65

Lil-Rokslider
Dont jump to sitka to soon either, i had ordered a downpour jacket in early april from an online retailer and was finally told i wont get it until sept15 because of manufacturing and shipping problems that sitka was having. I cancelled it and just got a cabelas space rain.

Bummer. I have a lot of their stuff and like it, but "Made in China" will not get my future business. Vasque made a great mountain boot until they stopped manufacturing in Italy and moved to China.

Huntr

Lil-Rokslider
I am seriously bummed about this. I just received a new pair of Verde Attack pants yesterday, and after reading the blog post on Kuiu's site, I checked the tag and sure enough it says Made in China. What crap. I think I would feel a lot different if Jason didn't make such a big deal when he started about being manufactured in N. America.

dotman

WKR
Only reason they are doing this is because they don't want customers to continue to wait so long, also I thought it was moving to Japan? I'll go reread their blog.

IrishnId

WKR
I'm super disappointed in this too. I have an order for the guide DCS jacket that was supposed to be here 2 to 3 weeks ago, now there saying December. Thinking about cancelling the order. I have been diligent on made in usa for my archery hunting where I can. Optics and electronics are pretty much a no go. It was nice to have a made on continent set of clothes but now thats shot in the butt too. Might as well order Sitka and have it here for my upcoming hunt in two months. I'm about fed up with all this outsourcing. Shot the Victory VAP's for a year, and then they moved them to Taiwan this year, so i'm making the switch over to the Injexion shafts with a Firenock insert to keep up the made in the USA stand.

Beastmode

WKR
What ever happened to America being self sufficient? Why not tax imports more? Make it too expensive to build outside of America before it's too late.

Does anyone know if kryptec is made in the usa? I couldnt find it on thier webpage so Im guessing not. Dissapointing kuiu being made in North America was one of the reasons I went with them.