Kuiu Merino 145 Hoodie vs Sitka Core LW Hoodie

Hey guys looking to pick up a lightweight base layer hoodie for sun protection for early archery deer hunts. I’ve used the Kuiu merino 145 zip t and like it. I’m kind of leaning toward Kuiu because the rest of my gear is Kuiu. However, I’ve been thinking about switching to synthetic base layers because I would like something that drys faster than merino and Kuiu doesn’t have a lightweight hoodie in synthetic that isn’t a fleece. Still a little hesitant to switch to synthetic though due to the stink factor on extended backcountry hunts. I think a simple solution to the dry faster thing would be to wear a synthetic t shirt for long hikes. What’s everyone’s thoughts and experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
The 145 is heavier than the Sitka Core Lightweight Hoody. I have a 145 zip-T and the lightweight hoody. I would be totally fine wearing the Sitka in the summer, but would get way to hot wearing the 145. The Sitka is a very lightweight mesh like material. I would say the 145 is ideal as a base layer in cooler weather. The synthetic does get a bit of stink too it as well. That said, I like both but use them quite differently. Just my opinion.

Did you consider the First Lite Wick Aerowool? It’s a 150 weight wool with some nylon. I have several pieces from the previous generation and absolutely love them. I wear them during summer hunting chores, early archery hunts in Texas, mid-late season hunts, and even Summer vacation in the Caribbean. I can’t say enough about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Bowhunter50
Did you consider the First Lite Wick Aerowool? It’s a 150 weight wool with some nylon. I have several pieces from the previous generation and absolutely love them. I wear them during summer hunting chores, early archery hunts in Texas, mid-late season hunts, and even Summer vacation in the Caribbean. I can’t say enough about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks I have an Aerowool shirt from first lite. The other night I washed both my Aerowool shirt and my Kuiu 145 and hung to dry. I would check on them every once in a while and it seemed like they both dried at the same speed. So unless there’s a real advantage to the Aerowool I would like to stick to the kuiu since I already have a lot of kuiu stuff. Not that I need it to match... the first lite pine solids look pretty cool.

OP
Bowhunter50
I honestly haven't noticed much of a difference in wearing the aerowool vs kuiu 145 merino. Is there something I'm missing? I think I'll definitely be getting a merino hooded baselayer due to the stink factor. However, I'm not sure if I should get the kuiu 145 merino hoodie or the first lite wick hoodie. Thanks for the input.

I have the Sitka and freaking love it. I may smell like a** after 6 days, but it doesn’t! For reference, I do also own a 150 merino top and love it for different reasons. They both go with me in September.