Kuiu merino 230 zip t

Ozz08

WKR
I got this 50/50 merino/poly blend shirt back in November and finally wore it a couple times this past week. I got this shirt to wear mainly as a second layer over my first lite llano or my light weight smart wool base layer. The fit is perfect for that and the material seems very durable. The concern I have about it is this....the first time I wore was on a 6 mile hike in the foothills around town. As soon as I started to sweat and the shirt got a little damp I noticed the thing stunk to high heaven like a wet dog. I thought it was just because it was new and hadn't been washed yet. I washed it that night in dead down wind clothes wash (like I do all my hunting clothes). When the cycle was done I opened the washer door and bam! That god awfull smell hit me like a ton of bricks. I hung the shirt outside to dry and when it was dry the smell was gone. Yesterday we took the kids to a snow park in the sierras for the day and I wore the shirt again to test it in some colder temps. It worked great in the am and as the temp climbed I shed the jacket and played in the snow with my 4yr old as soon as the snow began to dampen the shirt there it was again. The shirt just stinks when it's wet or damp. And I mean stinks bad. My wife made me take the thing off cause she was embarrassed of the smell coming off me. I just pulled it out of the washer and hung it in the hall bathroom and the thing is stinking up that whole side of my house. Anyone here have this shirt and maybe have experience the same?

Lawnboi

WKR
Merino tends to stink like that when its wet. I have that shirt along with a bunch of other merino stuff and they all smell the same when they are damp. Its the nature of the beast, better than smelling like bo

aggieland

WKR
Interesting. I don't have the think merino wool but I do own the thin ones KUIU sales. I have not noticed any kind of smell, might have to get them wet and see if I smell anything.

sk1

WKR
Merino tends to stink like that when its wet. I have that shirt along with a bunch of other merino stuff and they all smell the same when they are damp. Its the nature of the beast, better than smelling like bo

really? ive had my merino soaking wet wearing it, and of course washing it.......never smelled a thing....

i have the kuiu 185 and 250....so not the same as the 230 i guess. also have first lite, core4, minus33, and havent noticed any issues when wet

maybe also check the kuiu forum and see if anyone else says the same thing about their merino 230?

Lawnboi

WKR
really? ive had my merino soaking wet wearing it, and of course washing it.......never smelled a thing....

i have the kuiu 185 and 250....so not the same as the 230 i guess. also have first lite, core4, minus33, and havent noticed any issues when wet

maybe also check the kuiu forum and see if anyone else says the same thing about their merino 230?

I guess some of my thinner pieces don't stink so much. But thick merino socks, Sitka merino, icebreaker, Justin charles and redram have all given me a little wet dog smell when they are damp. Don't own any of the thin kuiu yet so I cant speak for that

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I've gotten some light "wet dog" smell from my kuiu too BUT I've also gotten it from first lite and ice breaker. It's way less on the thinner clothes tho. The thicker the wool the more smell. It's the nature of the wool.

sk1

WKR
ok i guess maybe there is a very light smell, i guess i always just called it "wool smell" rather than "wet dog", but i see what you mean. i just didnt really think of it because i have to put my wet clothes to my face and smell before i notice it.....certainly nothing like Ozz08 is describing, id be wanting to return anything that stinks like what he describes

OP
O

Ozz08

WKR
This merino 230 top is a 50/50 blend of poly and merino wool. I have 100% merino from first lite, sitka, smartwool, core4element and not of them have ever smelled from days of use. I think the stink in this kuiu top has to do with the poly.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I actually just got my Kuiu 230 in the mail Saturday. I'm gonna soak it in the tub right now and see if it smells

OP
O

Ozz08

WKR
I actually just got my Kuiu 230 in the mail Saturday. I'm gonna soak it in the tub right now and see if it smells

Let me know how it turns out. I love the shirt. I'm hoping with more use and washings it just goes away. If not it will become a waterfowl shirt. My dog won't mind the smell. Lol

armyjoe

Super Moderator
WOW! It smells like a dogs ass! I soaked my First Lite too and kinda smells a little like wool but the Kuiu smells horrible!! Rethinking my decision to buy a ton of Kuiu clothes. I'm speechless on the smell.

OP
O

Ozz08

WKR
I'd don't think it's necessarily a kuiu thing just the merino/poly blend. I have their merino neck gator and wore it a lot during duck season. It got soaked from sweat and rain a few times and never smelled bad. I'm bummed out. I thought I found a great shirt.

LazyV

Lil-Rokslider
I've never experienced the smell you're describing with the 230 weight from Kuiu. Wore it a bunch duck hunting, been wet a bunch, and cleaned it several times. It just smells like wet wool.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Is your shirt brand new? Some people I've read say the brand new shirts have a smell. Hmmm.

Craig4791

WKR
My 185 does stink a little when wet but i haven't noticed any stink from my 230.

OP
O

Ozz08

WKR
My shirt dried and didn't smell anymore so I splashed some water on it and the smell came back. Oh well I just won't use it for bowhunting. It's a really nice shirt. Very comfortable and I look damn sexy in it so I guess I could just wear it to the night club! And hey, if I sweat in it or it gets wet I will have the dance floor to myself lol!

I own the 230, got it wet, and washed it...I got the typical wool smell, but that's it. Maybe your BO is mixing with it and you're a Mongolian Mountain Man with pits akin to the seven gates of hell!:D Just Kidding!

I thought Merino might not have the same smell as other wool. I will have to test out the huge order of FL I just got.

Slim Jim

WKR
I had the same complaints when I started wearing FL but after about six or so washes that smell starts to fade. It never completely goes away but you never have that nasty BO smell that you you get from poly synthetics after you sweat. I haven't wore the kuiu merino/poly blend so I can't speak for that item. Maybe it's the poly blend if its that bad