Kuiu Mid-Layer Reco

CiK01

WKR
I am looking for recommendations for a mid-layer for late season hunts. I have a next to skin lightweight merino layer, but I would like to add a zip-off layer that goes over the merino to use between sitting/glassing and walking/hiking. Do the Peloton 97's or 118's fit that bill?

Thanks!

cman79

FNG
I am looking for recommendations for a mid-layer for late season hunts. I have a next to skin lightweight merino layer, but I would like to add a zip-off layer that goes over the merino to use between sitting/glassing and walking/hiking. Do the Peloton 97's or 118's fit that bill?

Thanks!

Trr15

WKR
Same as Fonkie, I wear the Peloton 97 hoodie over a merino base layer and its been a good combo. That, with either a soft-shell or Sitka kelvin lite jacket was all I wore for CO 4th season this past fall.

cman79

FNG
Tony, I have a Peloton 240 you can take a look at if you want? It’s been used as either a mid or a top layer this whole season. Definitely my new favorite all around piece.

Stop in when you come back to work - Flick

Kostrize

WKR
Are you talking about tops or bottoms?

For tops, the Kutana hybrid jacket is pretty awesome in that role

MT_Wyatt

WKR
118 is really a next to skin piece - depends on temps, but the 97 is nice. Personally I would want a thicker mid layer fleece in colder temps though, like others have suggested - the hybrids, or a peloton 200/240.

ChrisAU

WKR
Peloton 97 makes a great 2nd layer over a light merino layer when hiking in frigid temps. You won't overheat in it but it will knock the chill off. For glassing or more stationary I prefer the Peloton 200 and/or my puffy.

I actually find the Peloton 97 to be warmer than the Peloton 200, not sure how or why.

Peloton 97 is superior (in my opinion) when it comes to hiking, noise, fit, and compressibility. Only issue I have with it is it's really easy to pick on branches.

I actually prefer it for long glassing sessions as well. Light and breathable enough to wear up to 70º F and use as a sun-shirt, and super easy to wear under a puffy in the cold.

I use my strong fleece 260 as a mid layer. In 40-50 degree weather my set up is tshirt or pro-merino then strongfleece then jet stream. If I am walking any extended length I get hot quick. But most of my hunting now is stationary tree stand or blind hunting. I am comfortable in this set up down into the high 30’s and then I add a North face thermoball under the jet stream and I am good into the 20’s.

If I was actively hunting/hiking I would shed the jetstream and just wear the strongfleece as that is plenty warm when walking.

tracker12

WKR
Good post going. Trying to add a mid layer for next year. I’m good on my base. Now to decide between kuiu and Sitka