Kuiu midlayer advice

Deputynrc

FNG
I need some advice. My wife bought me a Kuiu Guide Vest for Christmas for a 2022 - 7 day drop camp hunting trip in the Frank Church Wilderness the last week of October. Since the vest didn't fit, I decided to trade it in and grabbed a Strongfleece Hybrid 280 Full Zip Hoodie. Now I have been reading all the forum comments on the Peloton 97 Fleece Hoodie which is much lighter and the reviews are awesome. We are limited to 50lbs total including food so weight is a concern. My layering will be something like this:

Underwear: SG Merino or FL Wick Merino Blend -2 pairs total
Socks Darn Tough/Danner and Smart Wool Merino Blends because that what I alread had- 3 pairs
Base: Kuiu Ultra Merino 145 or SG Chinook Merino Hoodie - 2 items
Mid: Synthetic (Peloton 97 or ??, already have the StrongFleece 280 but now thinking it might be too much) - 1 item
Outer: Possibly the SG Grumman Jacket
Rain: Snugpak Enhance Patrol Poncho and some cheap packable rain pants

I have never hunted in ID but lots of the outfitter's pics in the photo galleries show snow/wet contitions. Thanks in advance for any input.

I went with the Kuiu peloton fleece midlayer and only wore it on one trip. Plenty warm for temps in the 5-45 range paired with a merino 145 base and a kutana over the top. I havent warn it much since because I love running a vest as a midlayer over the merino 145. My core stays warm and I dont heat up in the arms like I tend to do with multiple long sleeve layers on.

Bump79

WKR
What I look for in a midlayer is warmth but has to have the ability to be an outer layer as well. I've ran the Peloton 200 for 6 years or so on nearly every hunt and it is worn 50% as an outer peice.

The 280 is nice though. I think you'll be fine with it.

Deli

Lil-Rokslider
I have a kuiu 97 and its more like a cold weather base (next to skin) or a warm weather layer to throw on as it gets cooler at night. It's very nice and super light but it wouldn't be my only mid layer. I'd want an active mid layer like a kenai vest or a mid weight fleece (200 or 240) or something along with it to give me more flexibility.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ccarter

FNG
Agree with the above- Peleton is awesome, but it’s somewhere between a base layer and a mid. Probably closer to a base. I like mine, but on later hunts, I prefer a thicker fleece that can be worn alone in moderately cold temps.

That said, at 4 ounces, you could probably get away with both.

utley010

FNG
Agreed with the above. Regarding the 97, everyone says its extremely warm for the weight, but it basically weighs nothing so any warmth can be considered exceptional. It usually gets left at home since it doesn't add much as a separate layer. It only gets used when I need barely more than my base shirt.

jd1006

WKR
the 240 is a great mid layer for the weight and wind resistance. I typically go 97 hoodie than 240 vest if I’m day hunting. If backcountry, I sub in lightweight merino, then the 240 vest. I think the 240 full hoody or jacket would be way too warm for anything active unless the temp was below 10 degrees.

When it gets really cold, I like the Kutana Hybrid (kind of like the 280) under the 240 vest, when active. Then I just throw my puffy over the top of that when I stop.

The 97 is a great layer, but like mentioned…it’s really more of a base layer than a mid layer. It shines during early season as a nice hoody to use when it is crisp early, but you are active and it will get warmer during the day. I love the zip-offs 97 as a base layer. Having both with on any hunt is barely any bulk or weight and you get a ton of options.