KUIU money to burn

tstowater

WKR
I have a KUIU certificate that needs to be used by the end of April and was doing a little "shopping" yesterday. I was looking at the down jackets and wanted to know what everyone thinks of them. I already have the Spindrift and the rest of the KUIU goodies so this is about the only thing that was of interest other than buying some more base layer merino wool. Any thoughts?

I don't have the jackets, but I do have the pant. They are awesome. If the jackets are similar, I think you will love it.

Craig4791

WKR
I have the down hooded jacket and love it. I have the pants too but I don't see myself using those much until November treestand hunting whitetails. The jacket will be with me a lot this year though at only 10 oz It's a great warmth provider for those cold nights and early morning glassing.

BigSurArcher

Banned
I was at KUIU the other day and it was really hard not to buy one. The hooded Superdown is such a nice jacket. As impressive as its packability and weight is, what impresses me the most about it is the instant heat you feel upon donning the thing. Trying it on side by side with the Spindrift, to me there was quite a difference that favored the Superdown. As you know it's not a do-all type garment- but I think it would make cold glassing sessions and general sitting around so much more comfortable. I will add that I do not have first hand experience with very many hunting down garments out there but at the same time I am in no way biased toward Kuiu.

Craig4791

WKR
I was at KUIU the other day and it was really hard not to buy one. The hooded Superdown is such a nice jacket. As impressive as its packability and weight is, what impresses me the most about it is the instant heat you feel upon donning the thing. Trying it on side by side with the Spindrift, to me there was quite a difference that favored the Superdown. As you know it's not a do-all type garment- but I think it would make cold glassing sessions and general sitting around so much more comfortable. I will add that I do not have first hand experience with very many hunting down garments out there but at the same time I am in no way biased toward Kuiu.

X2

It provides a lot of warmth! If temps are above 35 or so and the terrain is up and down I can't wear it. If the terrain was flat I think I would be ok but for me it's main use will be glassing and sitting around camp in cold temps. It also works great as an added layer in your sleeping bag, I would say it adds an easy 10 degrees to you bag temp.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another vote for the hooded super down. I love mine. I need 2, one for hunting and one to wear to as an everyday coat!

OP
tstowater

tstowater

WKR
Another vote for the hooded super down. I love mine. I need 2, one for hunting and one to wear to as an everyday coat!

That was what I was thinking, but I hadn't had a chance to really study them. Thanks, everyone.

Huntr

Lil-Rokslider
Add me to the list of folks that love my Super Down jacket. I think it is money well spent.

Yep, great jacket. I have to admit I was not too impressed when I first received it (due to my lack of knowledge of down products) but love it after wearing it all winter. I plan on picking up the down pant this summer.

OP
tstowater

tstowater

WKR
Money burned. Bought the Hooded Superdown in Verde. Looking forward to wearing it. Thanks for the help.

I was happy enough with my spindrift that I was not considering the super down jacket at all. Then I checked out my buddies the other day and I was so impressed. If your into solids that grey color is so sweet. I like the puffy in solid cause I will never wear it as an outer layer on a stock and I like to wear it on none hunting occasions. The weight and packed size of it blew my mind. Awesome piece of gear.

Last edited:

Rockey

FNG
Eastman's has a raving review about the super down in this months bowhunting journal. Good read and sounds spot on from what others have mentioned.

Nice, you will like it. The stretchy shell material of the super down is what surprised me. The jacket is definitely warm, hot even, but it is also flexible, which is something I cannot say for my Marmot and JCP down jackets.

OP
tstowater

tstowater

WKR
Just picked it up at the post office. Wow!! That coat is light. I think I am going to really like it. Wish that I would have known that they were coming out in the Vias as I would have waited to order Vias. I do like the Verde, however.

Kotaman

WKR
SD Hooded Jacket for me! But I also like the First Lite one quite a bit too.

Nick...you are such a gear whore...:)O

I have the hooded Super Down and the Zip Super Down. They are amazing pieces of gear BUT you won't wear them hiking...you will roast. Awesome for what they are designed for: Taking them out of your pack as an insualtion layer as you are stationary. I'd like to get a look at the First Lite Jacket, but that is a tough one to find right now...

How durable would you guys say this is (more/same/less than the spindrift)? I have a spindrift but am thinking of upgrading to the superdown. I have enjoyed the spindrift on the one hunt I took it on but thinking I could use the superdown out in town during the winter also. I usually on backpack for the high hunt in srpt here in washington and this year it was so warm I only even used the spindrift a couple of times but I have heard the season isnt always so pleasant and that the super down would cover me to lower temps without taking an extra merino layer

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
They both are well made although I wouldn't wear them very long as an outer layer in the brush.