KUIU Mountain Star 2 Person Tent Review ***Updated 12/22/20***

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the review Justin. I've been thinking of getting a free standing tent for a hunt I'm hoping to draw next year. Definitely made the Kuiu the front runner.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Thanks, Sam! I'm very happy with it.

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the review Justin. Besides being lighter in weight than aluminum, do you see any other pros or cons with the carbon poles? Guess I'm just still pessimistic about carbon poles as I remember reading how the early version easton poles would snap under wind and snow loads.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the review Justin. Besides being lighter in weight than aluminum, do you see any other pros or cons with the carbon poles? Guess I'm just still pessimistic about carbon poles as I remember reading how the early version easton poles would snap under wind and snow loads.

That's the benefit as far as I know. I would also think the aluminum would have more chance of failing than carbon but I could be totally wrong there. I'm thinking it would be more likely the aluminum would bend/snap than the carbon breaking.

snakelk

WKR
For what it's worth, I have the carbon poles and had the tent on Mt Hood camping on snow in gale force winds. The tent was anchored appropriately all around and the poles survived. The tent fabric in the corners where the stake guy outs were sewn ended up with some tears however. One call to Kuiu and they made it right by sending me a new tent. Outstanding customer service.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
For what it's worth, I have the carbon poles and had the tent on Mt Hood camping on snow in gale force winds. The tent was anchored appropriately all around and the poles survived. The tent fabric in the corners where the stake guy outs were sewn ended up with some tears however. One call to Kuiu and they made it right by sending me a new tent. Outstanding customer service.
Thanks for the report!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I purchased mine last year with the idea I could use it solo hunting, solo on snowshoeing/backcountry ski trips and in the “summer” for backpacking trips with my wife. I’ve got to use mine now in all seasons and very happy with it’s performance.

Definitely would be a little tight for two guys, but I think doable. Extremely roomy for one and not bad at all with a spouse.

Being able to set it up with the fly already attached is really handy in stormy weather. Quickens the setup and reduces the chances of wetting out gear.

Had to laugh at the glow in the dark ram head, a little unnerving for my wife the first night out :)

Ive found it to be very dependable in windy conditions (I stake out all the guy lines) and rainy/snowy conditions as well.

It doesn’t have two way zippers on the doors which they should have included.

For a double wall, two door, two vestibule, 3+ season tent- it’s pretty darn lightweight.

Im happy with mine :)

nitrobro2

FNG
I loved mine. I'm 5'11' and 220 LBS and want no part of sharing with a hunting partner. Too small. Hard enough time with my 9 yr old son. The tent floor is slightly wider on one end and you should align the fly and ground cover. I didn't like trying to figure this out while pitching, so I tied a little piece of colored cord to the fly, tent and ground cover so I could align them all quickly. I think most tent manufacturers are doing something similar with the webbing. I'm glad Kuiu didn't add any more cost! If you get one, get the orange. Your bush pilot will thank you and will be less likely to drop someone else near you!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did for 6-7 trips (they weren't in stock at the time I purchased my tent)- never saw any issues, so I would say the floor is pretty durable. I now have one though and have been using it- it's pretty light.

PFERN

FNG
When its packed up, are the dimensions pretty accurate or does it depend on how well you pack

SoDak Boy

FNG
Hey Roksliders,

I'm packed up for another mule deer scouting trip this weekend and will be giving the Kuiu Mountain Star a try. I ordered it early this week and just recieved it yesterday.

My son and I pulled it out of the box and set it up in the front yard to make sure everything was there. It was and it only took us a few minutes to get it figured out and set up. The tent, stakes, ground cloth, gear loft, and stuff sacks weighed about 3 lbs 13 oz on my scale. That didn't seem bad to me for a double wall, free standing, two man tent.

I'll be solo this weekend and moving a lot since I'm scouting. Should give me a good idea about ease of setup and packing.

Please let me know if there are any specific things you would like to know and I'll do my best to get answers.

***Update 12/22*** KUIU Mountain Star 2P Tent Review

SoDak Boy

FNG
Hey a question for anyone. Are there any tall boys ( 6 ft. 5in) that is or has used a Kuiu Storm Star? When I call Kuiu they tell me I'll fit but I don't want to order until I hear from someone with the same height issue.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Do any of you use this tent without a footprint? Just wondering how durable the floor is.

I ordered mine with the footprint and haven't used it without. It's light enough that I feel it's worth the extra insurance/durability.

When its packed up, are the dimensions pretty accurate or does it depend on how well you pack

I didn't measure it but I would say pretty accurate. The poles fit easily into their stuff sack. I put the tent and footprint into the tent bag without trouble.

Hey a question for anyone. Are there any tall boys ( 6 ft. 5in) that is or has used a Kuiu Storm Star? When I call Kuiu they tell me I'll fit but I don't want to order until I hear from someone with the same height issue.

I can't help you on that one. I had no issues at all but I'm 5' 10"

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you use it as a 1 man tent and sleep diagonally I think you'll be fine. It's 86" long, but you have to account for slope of the walls. For 2 people? Pick a different tent.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

j33

WKR
I did for 6-7 trips (they weren't in stock at the time I purchased my tent)- never saw any issues, so I would say the floor is pretty durable. I now have one though and have been using it- it's pretty light.

I saw you sell one a few weeks back. A bit too small or what’s your overall thoughts after using?