Kuiu mountain star vs Hilleberg Akto vs Niak

I have had a Kuiu Mountain star for the last three years and if I don't go floorless it is my go to for bad weather. I spent six days above tree line dealing with high winds and frozen rain last year in this tent and had zero issues. I also use it in the winter when I am expecting heavy snow loads. I have spent multiple nights with wind gusts over 60 mph in it and while I thought it was going to get destroyed it has held strong every time. Over the last six years I have bounced from tent to tent but the Mountain Star and my Cimarron are the two that have stuck around.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Starting my tent research, this being my first NWT sheep hunt. I’ve done a decent amount of backpack hunts in my home state of CO, WY and a recent fly in drop hunt in AK using everything from Big Agnus Fly Creek to 8 man Kifaru tipi and a bunch in between. I won’t lie to ya’ll, I’m a bit of an ounce counter.
So far I have narrowed my search down to:
-Kuiu Mountain Star
-Hilleberg Akto
-Hilleberg Niak
I’m looking at these 3 options based on Rokslide research thus far and the similar weights of all 3, sub 4lbs. My hunt is July 31-August 9. From my research it sounds like most swear by Hilleberg’s but there are a bunch that go with the mountain star-has anyone had a Kuiu MS fail on them? Thanks in advance for advice.
I just posted the following in a similar thread.

I have no experience with the Hilleberg but I do have alot of experience with the Mountain star. I have made several sheep hunts as well as blacktail hunts with mainly in the Alaska Range as well as down in Southeast. Some of them have been solo hunts and some have been together with my father in law. Usually they have ranged from 3 days all the way up to 2 weeks. The tent has withstood anything thats been thrown at it, in terms of rain, wind, snow etc.
I am 6 foot 2, 200 lbs and my father in law is 6 foot 4, 225 lbs. We shared the tent every time along with all the gear. Now I can not say it was roomy but in our opinion plenty enough for us. We do however pack pretty light, specially on the sheep hunts. Also durability has been great, it does have tear in the footprint but with that said it is on its 6th season I believe and I cant say that I am the kindest to gear.
In my opinion the two biggest Pros is the weight as well as external poles allowing you to pitch in rain without getting rain inside the tent.

I know it wasn’t on your list, and maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread, but have you looked at the SG tent at all? I own it and really like it. Very nice all around tent that is lighter than the hilleberg tents. Only gripe I have with it, is it isn’t as quick to pitch as a tunnel style hilleberg, and not a true “fly first” pitch like some of the others are. But overall it’s been a great option for me.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the NWT in late August/early Sept of 2018 in a Kuiu Mountain Star. Very powerful storms came through for several days. We did get a very light dusting of snow in the tent, but I was shocked how well it did. The wind was so powerful we made a wall with rocks to help cut it. With our zero degree bags, we were warm and slept well. A Storm Star obviously would have been better, but the outfitter said he had never seen this bad of weather for such a sustained period this early in the year....so if I were going again I would take the Mountain Star and feel well equipped.

I have no experience with Hilleberg but they look awesome and have a great reputation. I've watched some of their videos of pitching the tents, and they all seem very well thought out....

View attachment 379504
View attachment 379507
I can second that.

In a sheep hunt a few years back we ended up camping on a Ridgeline at 7000 feet in the Alaska range. The last night the wind picked up and I would guess the gusts were getting up to 60 mph. The kuiu tent did not move and held just fine.b

I would definitely go with a freestanding hilleberg. As mentioned they are pitched with the rain fly already attached and in the rocky terrain you will be in it will be advantageous to have a free standing design.

I think a tent proves itself when its at the outside envelope of its capabilities. No question when it comes to the hilliberg it can withstand incredibly high winds and severe rain. In my hilliberg tent 4 season I've experienced winds in the 50 mph plus range torrential rains while sheep hunting northern b.c. and the tent preformed with no problems. I've seen a few other brands end up shredded

ianpadron

WKR
I don't think you can go wrong between a KUIU or Hilleberg.

For 3.5 season tents, the mountainstar and Niak are the only 2 I'd consider.

Heres my KUIU getting hammered on in NW Montana last November. Freezing rain and fog is a good torture test for a tent, passed with flying colors.

20211024_082209.jpg

I‘ve got the Niak as a lightweight solo alternative to my Nammatj and absolutely love it. Lightweight, rock solid, easy and quick to handle, good ventilation. I really like tunnels (hence the Nammatj) but the Niak is my go-to.

DonV

FNG
Starting my tent research, this being my first NWT sheep hunt. I’ve done a decent amount of backpack hunts in my home state of CO, WY and a recent fly in drop hunt in AK using everything from Big Agnus Fly Creek to 8 man Kifaru tipi and a bunch in between. I won’t lie to ya’ll, I’m a bit of an ounce counter.
So far I have narrowed my search down to:
-Kuiu Mountain Star
-Hilleberg Akto
-Hilleberg Niak
I’m looking at these 3 options based on Rokslide research thus far and the similar weights of all 3, sub 4lbs. My hunt is July 31-August 9. From my research it sounds like most swear by Hilleberg’s but there are a bunch that go with the mountain star-has anyone had a Kuiu MS fail on them? Thanks in advance for advice.
I like my Atko but it is short. I cannot even sit up straight in it. Also during heavy/wet snow it will fold in. If you are not tapping the tent (which gives you a COLD rain shower every time) snow will build up and your tent will collapse. That gets your sleeping bag wet from touching the inner tent wall. I would get a different tent if I had it to do over. I still use it and like it otherwise but the snow issue is frustrating. Also as I get older not sitting up straight hurts more and more.