Kuiu mountain star vs Hilleberg Akto vs Niak

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
Starting my tent research, this being my first NWT sheep hunt. I’ve done a decent amount of backpack hunts in my home state of CO, WY and a recent fly in drop hunt in AK using everything from Big Agnus Fly Creek to 8 man Kifaru tipi and a bunch in between. I won’t lie to ya’ll, I’m a bit of an ounce counter.
So far I have narrowed my search down to:
-Kuiu Mountain Star
-Hilleberg Akto
-Hilleberg Niak
I’m looking at these 3 options based on Rokslide research thus far and the similar weights of all 3, sub 4lbs. My hunt is July 31-August 9. From my research it sounds like most swear by Hilleberg’s but there are a bunch that go with the mountain star-has anyone had a Kuiu MS fail on them? Thanks in advance for advice.

OP
j3butch

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, very helpful indeed. Still hopeful this topic can get kicked around some more. I haven’t read anything to sway me in one direction

Hi there,

I don’t have any personal experience with Kuiu tents however the mountain star looks like a classic 2 man tent design so I’m not sure how many times the wheel can be reinvented.

For a solo “3 season” tent I love the hilleberg anjan 2 (non GT). I like the fact that the vestibule is large enough to fit a fully loaded pack in and I’m a big fan of the tunnel tent design. However some people are not a fan of non free standing tents. If that’s the case the niak would be my next choice. The only issue I have with the niak is the vestibule is quite small, which usually forces you to keep some items outside of the tent at night. I borrowed an Akto once to use on a hunt and it was too coffin like for me but I suppose if your ok with possibly spending a stormy day or 2 in one, it would be a good ultra light option.

Good luck with your NWT hunt!

Last edited:
I’d go with one of the Hilleberg tents. I’ve been using the Akto during sheep hunts for quite a few years now. It’s been a good compromise between weight and storm protection. In general, I consider Kuiu tents and packs as being mid-tier and their clothing slightly above mid-tier.

OP
j3butch

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
Hi there,

I don’t have any personal experience with Kuiu tents however the mountain star looks like a classic 2 man tent design so I’m not sure how many times the wheel can be reinvented.

For a solo “3 season” tent I love the hilleberg anjan 2 (non GT). I like the fact that the vestibule is large enough to fit a fully loaded pack in and I’m a big fan of the tunnel tent design. However some people are not a fan of non free standing tents. If that’s the case the niak would be my next choice. The only issue I have with the niak is the vestibule is quite small, which usually forces you to keep some items outside of the tent at night. I borrowed an Akto once to use on a hunt and it was too coffin like for me but I suppose if your ok with possibly spending a stormy day or 2 in one, it would be a good ultra light option.

Good luck with your NWT hunt!
Good stuff, thank you. I like a good sized vestibule, and for a solo use I'm considering tents with duel vestibule's. I was concerned about the coffin deal of the Akto after watching video reviews.

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider
If weight savings are a big consideration for you, what about a floorless tipi? You may have already ruled those out for other reasons, but thought I would mention it. I've used both the HMG Ultamid 2 and 4 for mountain hunts up here in Alaska and they've served their purpose well. Those are considered some of the highest quality tipi style dyneema/CF tents and they are 20% off now.

I do own a Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT, and Anjan 3 as well and love those tents and they certainly have their place. If it were me though and I was doing an early season sheep hunt, I would grab my HMG Ultamid 2 for solo use (or if my wife is joining me), or the 4 if you're sharing with a partner.

If weight savings are a big consideration for you, what about a floorless tipi? You may have already ruled those out for other reasons, but thought I would mention it. I've used both the HMG Ultamid 2 and 4 for mountain hunts up here in Alaska and they've served their purpose well. Those are considered some of the highest quality tipi style dyneema/CF tents and they are 20% off now.

I do own a Hilleberg Nallo 3 GT, and Anjan 3 as well and love those tents and they certainly have their place. If it were me though and I was doing an early season sheep hunt, I would grab my HMG Ultamid 2 for solo use (or if my wife is joining me), or the 4 if you're sharing with a partner.
It sounds like you’ve invested in some high quality tents with each having a specific application which is ideal. Do you find your floor-less tipi in the early season is able to keep the bugs out when they are bad?

No experience with The Hilleberg but have spent extensive time in the Kuiu. Fantastic tent for the weight. Withstands strong winds very well and can handle heavy rains for multiple days straight. Spent 10 days in Alaska last year where it downpoured 6/10 days and rained on and off for the remaining 3. Nothing I had got wet on the inside of the tent. Condensation was non existent.

Arctic_Beaver

Lil-Rokslider
It sounds like you’ve invested in some high quality tents with each having a specific application which is ideal. Do you find your floor-less tipi in the early season is able to keep the bugs out when they are bad?
From my experience for goat and sheep hunting, you typically aren't in heavy buggy areas for the duration of the hunt. An exception might be the very beginning or very end of the hunt when you're at lower elevations or moving through different drainages. Bugs haven't been a major issue for me during my sheep hunts. I will add that I've noticed with the HMG Ultamid tents (or any tipi style), that what bugs do enter are automatically funneled to the top cone of the tent and just kind of bounce around and congregate up there. It's easy to unzip the door and swat them out. If you're concerned about bugs I do know some of the tipi style tent manufacturers offer a mesh inner portion (HMG offers several). I haven't used them though, as I don't see the need. If I'm going to hunt an area that is known to be buggy, say for other species or other terrain, I'll take one of my Hillebergs. Once you add the weight of the mesh inner, a groundcloth or bivvy, and the floorless tent itself, you are probably closing in on the weight of some of the fully enclosed tents you've mentioned above. If it was a later season hunt, or a more coastal region (like goat hunting) I'm probably grabbing a Hilleberg though.

The tipi style tents might take a little more time and care to set-up. I would bring at least 4 of the MSR Groundhog cyclone tent stakes for each corner. You can place rocks on top of the stakes to secure it, and I typically use all the guyout points. I also bring a groudcloth to lay under my sleeping pad, and use my rain pants, gaiters, and glassing butt pad to lay down to create a covered space around my sleeping area. You have to be more mindful of where you might pitch a floorless tent too, to consider where water is going to go during a sustained downpour. You won't have as much margin for error if you select a poor campsite to pitch it, compared to an enclosed tent with a bathtub floor.

The red label Hillebergs (such as the Nallo) are also (obviously) warmer than any floorless tent without a stove. Another underrated feature of the Hillebergs (and I think the Kuiu's?) is the ability to quickly pitch it in a downpour with the rainfly already connected and on the outside. This way the inner portion won't get wet. There are certainly pros and cons to each type; but the weight savings, larger footprint, and less bulk of a floorless dyneema/CF tipi tent are undeniable.

From my experience for goat and sheep hunting, you typically aren't in heavy buggy areas for the duration of the hunt. An exception might be the very beginning or very end of the hunt when you're at lower elevations or moving through different drainages. Bugs haven't been a major issue for me during my sheep hunts. I will add that I've noticed with the HMG Ultamid tents (or any tipi style), that what bugs do enter are automatically funneled to the top cone of the tent and just kind of bounce around and congregate up there. It's easy to unzip the door and swat them out. If you're concerned about bugs I do know some of the tipi style tent manufacturers offer a mesh inner portion (HMG offers several). I haven't used them though, as I don't see the need. If I'm going to hunt an area that is known to be buggy, say for other species or other terrain, I'll take one of my Hillebergs. Once you add the weight of the mesh inner, a groundcloth or bivvy, and the floorless tent itself, you are probably closing in on the weight of some of the fully enclosed tents you've mentioned above. If it was a later season hunt, or a more coastal region (like goat hunting) I'm probably grabbing a Hilleberg though.

The tipi style tents might take a little more time and care to set-up. I would bring at least 4 of the MSR Groundhog cyclone tent stakes for each corner. You can place rocks on top of the stakes to secure it, and I typically use all the guyout points. I also bring a groudcloth to lay under my sleeping pad, and use my rain pants, gaiters, and glassing butt pad to lay down to create a covered space around my sleeping area. You have to be more mindful of where you might pitch a floorless tent too, to consider where water is going to go during a sustained downpour. You won't have as much margin for error if you select a poor campsite to pitch it, compared to an enclosed tent with a bathtub floor.

The red label Hillebergs (such as the Nallo) are also (obviously) warmer than any floorless tent without a stove. Another underrated feature of the Hillebergs (and I think the Kuiu's?) is the ability to quickly pitch it in a downpour with the rainfly already connected and on the outside. This way the inner portion won't get wet. There are certainly pros and cons to each type; but the weight savings, larger footprint, and less bulk of a floorless dyneema/CF tipi tent are undeniable.
Excellent points. Thanks for taking the time to share that!

schmalzy

WKR
I have been waiting patiently (?) for Kuiu to get the mountain star back in stock. Sigh....

Same. I bought an msr Hubba nx2 as a place holder. Both kuiu and Hilleberg freestanding options appear to be sold out everywhere I can find.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would strongly recommend the Niak. The Akto is a great tent but always having to stake out the ends can be a pain with all the rock. At least where we were. In my opinion a freestanding would be more versatile. Not sure personally on the KUIU tent, Justin did a review on one I think and liked it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Niak. The extra room inside, the side entrance with the ability to roll both doors back, and bigger vestibule over the Akto are valuable to me.

As Jordan mentioned above, getting stakes in on sheep/goat country can be a big challenge and the freestanding Niak allows you to move it around, twist and turn it to find some soft ground...big advantage.

I’ve never spent any time in the kuiu, but my experience comes from time in Hilleberg enan, niak, rogan, Anjan, and Nallo for what that’s worth.

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
The tarptent scarp 1 would be worth looking at. Dual vestibule, fly-on setup, kind of a 1.5 person size for extra room solid inner available, right around 3lbs. Not freestanding however.

schmalzy

WKR
Starting my tent research, this being my first NWT sheep hunt. I’ve done a decent amount of backpack hunts in my home state of CO, WY and a recent fly in drop hunt in AK using everything from Big Agnus Fly Creek to 8 man Kifaru tipi and a bunch in between. I won’t lie to ya’ll, I’m a bit of an ounce counter.
So far I have narrowed my search down to:
-Kuiu Mountain Star
-Hilleberg Akto
-Hilleberg Niak
I’m looking at these 3 options based on Rokslide research thus far and the similar weights of all 3, sub 4lbs. My hunt is July 31-August 9. From my research it sounds like most swear by Hilleberg’s but there are a bunch that go with the mountain star-has anyone had a Kuiu MS fail on them? Thanks in advance for advice.

You make any progress on a decision?

OP
j3butch

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider
You make any progress on a decision?

Not much but the Akto is out of the running. Although I like the big vestibule I would not want to be holed up in that design for more than a day.

I was in the NWT in late August/early Sept of 2018 in a Kuiu Mountain Star. Very powerful storms came through for several days. We did get a very light dusting of snow in the tent, but I was shocked how well it did. The wind was so powerful we made a wall with rocks to help cut it. With our zero degree bags, we were warm and slept well. A Storm Star obviously would have been better, but the outfitter said he had never seen this bad of weather for such a sustained period this early in the year....so if I were going again I would take the Mountain Star and feel well equipped.

I have no experience with Hilleberg but they look awesome and have a great reputation. I've watched some of their videos of pitching the tents, and they all seem very well thought out....

tent1.jpg
tent2.jpg