Kuiu Gale Force

Southernhunters

Lil-Rokslider
Got the email early this am and was immediately interested! I’m liking the looks of it for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunt41

Lil-Rokslider
I’m interested in this as well. Curious to hear the first reports.

Water proof, wind proof, insulated. They say it can take a beating and keep you going...but the price. Ouch. Wonder how loud the material is. I have the same thing right now in a cabelas “silent” suede set of bibs and jacket, super warm and waterproof/wind proof. The Cabela gear is loud and they are getting old but the price on those wasn’t close to half of the gale force gear.

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
Water proof, wind proof, insulated. They say it can take a beating and keep you going...but the price. Ouch. Wonder how loud the material is. I have the same thing right now in a cabelas “silent” suede set of bibs and jacket, super warm and waterproof/wind proof. The Cabela gear is loud and they are getting old but the price on those wasn’t close to half of the gale force gear.

The thing is 2+ pounds. I feel like their niche was ultralight gear. I wonder if their mission statement changed after jason Hairston passed .

Also. I wouldn’t want some thing insulated AND windproof/waterproof. You can’t hike in something insulated, and if it’s raining you’re going to have to bring another shell to use on the go. Maybe it’s made for tree stand or truck hunting?

IMO it looks like Kuiu is trying to break into the treestand hunting clothing market without wanting to look like they are (and compromising JH's branding). "Buy this 'Tajikistan-ready' sheep hunting gear (that is also good for the treestand)"

Maybe it’s made for tree stand or truck hunting?
That may not be how it is marketed but I bet that's how it will be used by 99% of buyers

For Kuiu to grow as a business there's only so much they can milk the western hunting gear market--they already have pretty much every possible variation on pretty much every layer of clothing, lots of non-clothing gear, and an expanding selection of casual/"lifestyle" clothes, and plenty of competition (FL, Sitka, and lots of smaller upstarts.). To keep growing, whitetail stand hunting is a huge market that they have to eventually tackle. I think this is their first stab at it that won't look like they are just turning their backs on Hairston's philosophy. After pretty decent success this year, next year they'll probably roll out their full whitetail line

Last edited:

Benjblt

WKR
The thing is 2+ pounds. I feel like their niche was ultralight gear. I wonder if their mission statement changed after jason Hairston passed .

Also. I wouldn’t want some thing insulated AND windproof/waterproof. You can’t hike in something insulated, and if it’s raining you’re going to have to bring another shell to use on the go. Maybe it’s made for tree stand or truck hunting?

This has been in development since before Jason passed. The above referenced YouTube video was from over 2 years ago.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk