KUIU Northstar Gloves Review, by Ross Russell

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Hey Roksliders, welcome back Ross Russell. He's on our prostaff and authored the very inspiring "One Season, Three Bulls" article series last year (see our Tips &Tactics/Elk at Rokslide.com).

Ross is back and this time with a glove review for the active Western hunter.

Ross hunts the thick, wet & nasty Northwestern states and has figured out what gear works in this unique climate/terrain.

When Ross tells me something works, I know that advice comes with a thousands of days' experience in some of the of the most unforgiving conditions imaginable.

Check out his review here:

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/clothing/380-kuiu-northstar-gloves-review

Last edited:
Ross, I was looking to get some gloves and was looking at the Youkon Pro. Is the Northstar the same glove with more insulation? What temps would you say are ideal for the Northstar?

bowhntrsd

FNG
Nice review. One of the things I have struggled with in South Dakota is finding a good hunting glove. I have yet to do so as my bow hand gets cold in the November rut. Some days the high only reaches 20 degrees

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
I have used these same gloves for the last two seasons and agree with Ross. They are impressive for the colder temperatures while hiking around. My hands do get cold as well when sitting in temperatures below 20 so you would need something more for that. I tried those kuiu glassing mits this season and liked them for that purpose. While I mostly wear Sitka and first lite, I couldn't find gloves from those companies I liked as much as these.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have not read or tried the yukons unfortunately. For me these gloves keep my hands warm when moving into the twenties, but once sitting or idle I will need hand warmers from the thirties down. I know kuiu offers a down mitten you can place over the gloves when idle which may be a good option for the twenties down.

Funny i should have just said ditto to westdans reply that came in as I was typing.

Last edited:

Outwest

WKR
Great review, Ross. So from what I have read, it sounds like the Northstars do not have the annoying pullout inner liner like most insulated waterproof gloves do?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
You would be correct Outwest, no trying to get your fingers back in the liner issues!

What I don't see mentioned is how the gloves handle salmonberry thorns. I bushwhacked my way thru a ton of this stuff in ALSEA 18 (NW coastal OR) and it ruined me. Will these gloves remain waterproof after a season of rainforest abuse and exposure to this?

Augsalmonberry.jpg

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fortunately I don't have those in my neck of the Mountains, but I would say if you puncture the interior shell yes they will leak.

jherald

WKR
Myself and 3 buddies all have the Yukon Pro(formerly known as Kenai) and the Northstar gloves. We use them pretty hard. Did ten days on Kodiak in October and put all the gear through the ringer like we usually do. The gloves held up fine in all the salmonberry thorns there. Kodiak is covered in a literal sea of those thorns. These gloves hold up quite well. None of us have had our gloves leak, and havent been dainty about pushing brush out of the way with them. Not to say though that you couldn't poke or tear a hole in them with enough force.

I've had my Northstar gloves for two seasons now and have used them in Prince William Sound, Kodiak, Chugach, and all over the rest of South Central AK. I've worn them hunting, for running my boat fishing, skiing and winter hiking. They are great gloves and the sizing is pretty well true to size in each size range. I've got good use out of them and if or whenever they start leaking I'll be getting another pair. Well worth it.

rodney482

WKR
Love my north star gloves. Used in temps from teens to mid 30's kept my hands dry and warm.

Like the review found, I found these gloves to be great while moving, but not warm enough to keep fingers from numbing when not moving (below 30 degrees that is).

Anyone trying to decide between Northstar and Yukon Pro (formerly Kenai), I'd steer towards the Northstar. Given their higher insulation and easy pull on/ slip off, they worked much better for me than the Yukon Pro.

Very waterproof, I just wish I was moving all the time! I'm giving the Glassing Mitts and Yukon (with Sitka Traverse as liners) a shot this year. I am thinking the Yukon with a liner will be a little more versatile while moving and I've heard the glassing mitts are crazy warm.

Good luck to everyone on their 2016 adventures and happy holidays!

Josey D

FNG
Jerry,
What size did you get in the Yukon Pro? I picked up a medium for the wife & large for myself in October for Kodaik & find both pair unusually big. I can almost use the mediums & my larges are way to long. However in the guide glove I think I have XL.
Not sure if I should keep them or sell them and try again.

jherald

WKR
I ordered mediums and they fit my hand pretty well. They are sized just slightly smaller than my medium northstar gloves. I wonder if you could get with Kuiu CS and ask them about sizing discrepancy and see if it's a warranty issue.

Romo

FNG
Used the Northstar gloves on Kodiak in April/May 2015. Great for glassing. My hands never got cold.

So far, I am very happy with the triple threat glove system.

Traverse Gloves: 2.4 oz
Yukon: 3.9 oz
Superdown GM: 4.1 oz
Total weight: 10.4 oz

Northstar: 7.1 oz

I have found much, much more versatility and comfort in the triple threat glove approach than just the Northstar gloves.

If I pack all of them, which I can get by without the Yukon on day hunts without precip, then it only comes in at 3.3 oz more. But they provide a lot more options and I'm comfortable shooting a bow or rifle with the Traverse gloves, where that wouldn't be an option for me with the Northstar gloves. I find the Yukon gloves, though not lined do retain a little heat themselves. The glassing mitts are fantastic and I highly recommend them for late season hunts.

The Northstar is certainly a well built glove, unfortunately I didn't find it to be a panacea for the multitude of hunting conditions I find myself in.