Kuiu NuYarn merino sucks

Titan_Bow

WKR
LOL, just had to vent a little as I’m taking a break on my way down the mountain. This year I’ve been replacing a bunch of my warn out gear, and one of the purchases I made was the Kuiu 145 hoody. It’s been on a week long spring bear hunt and about 8-10 days of Colorado elk hunting. I have washed it 3 times on delicate cycle and air dryer just like the label says.
The thing has holes in it, has ripped at the sleeve, the yarn on the side panels where it’s perforated has pulls, the stitching is coming out around the sleeves.
What gives?? I thought their “NuYarn” tech was supposed to be stronger and better than just merino?? Seems like just marketing hype I guess… oh well, I realize lightweight merino isn’t the most durable of fabrics, but I would hope a 120$ shirt would make it through a handful of hunting seasons….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They do…..I would send it back and then you can really gripe if they deny the claim. Doubt they don’t take care of it for ya.

The very first time I wore their lightest merino top, i got in some brush and poked/pulled a hole in it. By the end of my second day wearing it, multiple holes in it. It's definitely not durable, I've found First Lite's merino to be tougher. I try to wear a second layer over the Kuiu merino when it's not too hot out.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like a defective piece to me. Having several of their 145, 125 none have had damage that wasn’t from use over time. I did have two peloton shirts that were sewn horribly with stitching coming out but the material never unraveled.

j33

WKR
I’ve owned a 125 SS shirt for almost a year with 0 issues probably have 60 days or so with it.

I bought a 125 LS this summer and on day two I have a small hole on my sleeve. The entire hunt I had a mid layer over top so no clue why. I washed it and was gonna submit a warranty claim but after reading into it holes aren’t covered… Edit: After reading this post I decided to submit a claim, will let you guys know.

I also bought a Wick 150 shirt this summer. Those will be the last Kuiu merino’s I own. Wick is softer, doesn’t stink as quick, doesn’t stretch after a few days like Kuiu and Wick is longer so I can tuck in.

Last edited:
OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
Yeah its frustrating, I bought this thinking it would be stronger than regular merino, oh well, live and learn.. I didnt know they even warrantied their clothes, but I couldnt imagine they would warranty holes, but who knows, I might try also.

Here is my shirt, again, after a spring bear hunt and 2 elk hunts. I have merino from Kryptek, Icebreaker, Smartwool and Black Ovis, all of which has seen multiple years of use and are not torn up like this Kuiu shirt.

Kuiu.JPG

i never thought of any merino stuff as being able to shrug off even mild bush wackin. always layered over merino or made sure it was open trail stuff. another issue that most dont like to think about is those damn cloths moths. they chew thru threads just enough to make tiny holes. thats why i treat and store my stuff in the freezer sometimes. too expensive to take a chance. i would give them a shout. i had a pair of guide pants stitching fall apart in one area and they did warranty it.

Tore a Peloton 118 SS (both shoulders), Peloton 118 LS (both shoulders and forearms), an Ultra Merino 125 SS (both shoulders) on a black bear hunt this summer. Got a few new scars in the process.

I never have contacted a manufacturer about doing warranty work on torn clothes. My mother-in-law does great work at sewing things up. Torn an assortment of clothing from Kryptek, Kuiu, and Sitka. Hell, I think I have some items with more “aftermarket” thread than what was there when purchased new.

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
I realize merino is not the most durable thing out there, I just did not expect this shirt to deteriorate so quickly, compared to other merino I have. I’ve got a bunch of it from different manufacturers and in varying weights and blends. I wear merino a lot, hunting and non hunting. The reason I bought this was because I thought “NuYarn” might be stronger and more durable than 100% merino. I do love my Kuiu zip off bottoms though! I should bought them years ago LOL.

i never thought of any merino stuff as being able to shrug off even mild bush wackin. always layered over merino or made sure it was open trail stuff. another issue that most dont like to think about is those damn cloths moths. they chew thru threads just enough to make tiny holes. thats why i treat and store my stuff in the freezer sometimes. too expensive to take a chance. i would give them a shout. i had a pair of guide pants stitching fall apart in one area and they did warranty it.

Yeah .. bushwacking in thin material never works out well. I've washed my Kuiu merino a handful of times and its still in great condition, but I'm also careful not to get stuck up in briars, brambles, or whatever might grab my shirt. If something grabs my shirt, I stop to unhook myself. Thats only for my Kuiu shirt. Most of my other layers will hold up to that sort of abuse

I have the 145(?) long sleeve hooded, and the 125(?) short sleeve. No issues with either. I wear them non-stop and I probably spend 30+ days a year in the field. I baby it at home (hand wash, lay flat dry), but in the field I don't do much to protect it. Still all good. I agree there is no way merino is the toughest stuff, but I'm all wool all the time now...dry, warm, doesn't stink, packable. I love it.

mtnhunt

FNG
I have a 145 from probably 5yrs ago. Bought a bunch of first lite merino probably 3yrs ago and decided to wear the 145 as my dont care if I destroy it scouting brush busting top. Thing has held up great going thro the hell hole western WA can be. Theres probably a hole or 2 in it but surprised how durable its been. I just bought a 125 this season and its held up fairly well so far. It did get a hole where my belt sits, so guessing it just gets pinched between the metal buckle and the pack belt. I feel like the aerowool is more durable, but your looking at 85/15 wool/poly for the 125 vs 65/35 for the aerowool so you would kind of expect it. Still have gotten a few holes in it. The aerowool definitely retain their shape better. The 125 gets loose in the arms if im pulling them up every now and then. I think the 145 piece is in between the 125 and the aerowool for retaining shape.

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
I ended up just sewing up the holes, wore it this weekend hunting deer in Nebraska, and there’s several more holes from 2 days of hunting LOL. Guys, I’ve been wearing merino wool to hunt in for over 10 years. I’ve had stuff from icebreaker, smart wool, Kryptek, Minus 33, TerraMar, Black Ovis. I know merino, what it’s strengths and weaknesses are, I understand all that. I’m just saying, this shirt is the most delicate piece of merino I’ve ever owned. That’s fine, I’ll just go back to wearing budget stuff from Sierra Trading Post, Camofire, etc. as that stuff has held up way better for me than Kuiu NuYarn! (Which cost at least twice what I’ve paid for others)

Lowg08

WKR
I have both. I keep busting the crotch out of the FL. So I bought the 145. Today was the first time wearing them. I’m going to swap my bottoms. Not tops just bottoms.

j33

WKR
well as expected they didn't warranty my 2 little holes on my shirt that was worn two days under my hoody.

Black Ovis merino next up, can't beat the price. Everything else I've had with my Kuiu has been great though, just not wool.

Lowg08

WKR
Not in my experience. I had a pair of attack pants fall apart and was told to have fun mending it.
That is horrible. I had a little hook come off of a pair of FL gaiters and they were replaced before the old pair made it back