Kuiu Offerings

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
**Please do not turn this into an opportunity to bash one brand or another**

Has anyone noticed changes taking place with Kuiu's product offerings? First they did away with the Teton line, which I understand. Seems like they're ditching the Peloton line now as well, as there's significantly fewer Peloton products. Also some products only offered in one camo pattern, with a variety of solid colors available.

Not necessarily complaining, nor a Kuiu fanboy, just curious if anyone has any insight into what's ahead for them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD619er

WKR
I think they are sold out of some of their product line and should be restocking at least all colors in the spring

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you use the search feature for “peloton” a lot comes up. I think they did discontinue some of the 130&200 stuff like the bottoms and beanies. I doubt that line is going away since synthetics in general have their place.

They have been releasing stuff that’s a little more affordable and in solid colors which I think is a good replacement of the teton line.

I did notice a lot of stuff with limited color, pattern and sizing available but that’s probably just business. Holiday sales and minimizing inventory for taxes.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
I find it interesting they now have women's products. I recall Jason being adamant in an interview that would never happen. Same as making whitetail clothes.

They've been making lots of changes lately and offering a lot of stuff that has nothing to do with hunting. Killed the teton, ultra nx, chinook lines, and offering all the solids for those who want them. I think they should just do a premium line and budget line, and stick with camo hunting gear, get rid of solids, wallets, sweatshirts, money clips, etc.

robie

WKR
Out of curiosity - did he say why?

Jason said many times he is a sheep hunt and makes clothing for backpack sheep hunting. He doesn't sit in a tree stand and wouldn't know how to make clothes for that.

Only thing I heard him say on women's clothing was the research they had done said the market wouldn't support a full line of women's clothing but they would keep looking.

OP
CaliWoodsman

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting! It seems like the product line and targeted audience definitely changed after Jason brought on outside investors. Whether that was his wish or theirs, I don't know. It definitely feels to me like they're doing away with the peloton line, so I'll be interested to see what they replace it with.

I don't think the Peloton stuff is going away completely. I think they are replacing the 130 with the 97. But I bet the 200 stays, along with the 240.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting! It seems like the product line and targeted audience definitely changed after Jason brought on outside investors. Whether that was his wish or theirs, I don't know. It definitely feels to me like they're doing away with the peloton line, so I'll be interested to see what they replace it with.

Curious where you get that from? Maybe there’s peloton ultra in the works?

I was told the peloton 240s were expected back in stock in March.

OP
CaliWoodsman

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
Curious where you get that from? Maybe there’s peloton ultra in the works?

Just going off what I saw them do with the Teton line. Started moving stuff over to the outlet, then shut it down. There's been several Peloton items in the outlet recently, most notably the zip-off pants, which are no longer available on the website. But I agree, some kind of reboot along Peloton Ultra lines is more likely, or the launch of another synthetic line.

OP
CaliWoodsman

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
Just going off what I saw them do with the Teton line. Started moving stuff over to the outlet, then shut it down. There's been several Peloton items in the outlet recently, most notably the zip-off pants, which are no longer available on the website. But I agree, some kind of reboot along Peloton Ultra lines is more likely, or the launch of another synthetic line.

Of course, this is all wild speculation on my part, but that's my favorite kind of speculation.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
They were posting videos of touring factories featuring welded seam construction. I’d bet synthetic baselayers might be headed that direction.

NWHunter84

Lil-Rokslider
I have been surprised also. They now have the workout clothing line and went away from some staples. However I think this is to keep the brand from being stagnant. Take for example the Alpine pants they made some modifications and now we have the Pro pants. The Chugach was always a better set up than the Ultra NX in my book so no significant loss there. They are trying to broaden the user groups also with women’s and kids product lines. Hopefully they don’t get lost in the weeds anytime soon though.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member

I think the 130,200 & 97 all have their place but the they definitely blur into each other. The 200 is more durable for a top but bulky as a bottom. 97 is light, probably wears more comfortable as a bottom, surprisingly wide temperature range. 130 is light and durable but didn’t find much use for it as a bottom. Call me crazy but I’m trying out a 97 for a base and the 97 hoodie for a midlayer.

pirogue

WKR
I have a lot of Kuiu, and have no complaints on the clothing. But did you notice the Kuiu employees group photos sent out in emails during Christmas time? Kinda looked like a high school graduating class photo. You wonder if any of them had worked for Kuiu for more than a year. I just sold one of their early jackets, a Spindrift, since discontinued. I could’nt recall if the insulation was down, or synthetic, so I called them and asked. They were confident it was down. I took another look at the jacket and then noticed the tag that stated “Primaloft”

regardless of brand loyalty all companies will face business decisions that can and will change the product whether we like it or not. i'm not saying this is happening, but I wouldn't be surprised. I had many issues with Jason's beliefs and some of his comments; and stopped buying his product. Last week I decided to buy a super down pro jacket because I research obsessively and I wanted a jacket with 850 + down with 140 - 150 grams and at the end of the day the Super Down Pro just stood out. I'm not a KUIU fan but will buy gear if it is the best in class. However, I do think other companies are make just as good of gear on certain lines. KUIU uses Torray which is great stuff but it isn't the best in class. If it was other
hunting brands would use it. All brand have flaws, but the Polish down KUIU uses is the real deal. Pertex is the down competitor and even that is not exclusively sourced from one location. the rest of KUIU to me is good gear but does not stand out.