Kuiu Offerings

They've been making lots of changes lately and offering a lot of stuff that has nothing to do with hunting. Killed the teton, ultra nx, chinook lines, and offering all the solids for those who want them. I think they should just do a premium line and budget line, and stick with camo hunting gear, get rid of solids, wallets, sweatshirts, money clips, etc.

Agreed. I’ve purchased a decent amount of their gear over the last year and it has all worked flawlessly. After his passing I was worried they might close their doors and wondering if I needed to buy the things left on my list. A few days later they came out with the Rubicon jacket, Pro pants, Kenai Ultra line, etc, and seemed like they were going to be solid.

Shortly after, they started coming out with all this logo branded crap like a ****ing pop socket. My wife has one of them on her phone because she’s always using Snapchat. Any man that has one deserves to be ridiculed mercilessly, if not kicked in the crotch, especially a backcountry hunter. I really hope they don’t become a “lifestyle/household” brand like The North Face has done and start churning out shit geared towards high school kids to make a few $. I don’t have a good feeling about it unfortunately.

ianpadron

WKR
I don't think it's fair to say that Toray isn't best in class or other brands would use it.

At the end of the day it all comes down to margins and licensing agreements. I'd argue that high end mountaineering gear is still superior to Sitka, KUIU, First Lite in terms of pure performance.

Toray and Schoeller (Kryptek Altitude) are about as good of fabrics as you'll find in the hunting community.

Agreed on the KUIU down gear, that shit is truly next level.
regardless of brand loyalty all companies will face business decisions that can and will change the product whether we like it or not. i'm not saying this is happening, but I wouldn't be surprised. I had many issues with Jason's beliefs and some of his comments; and stopped buying his product. Last week I decided to buy a super down pro jacket because I research obsessively and I wanted a jacket with 850 + down with 140 - 150 grams and at the end of the day the Super Down Pro just stood out. I'm not a KUIU fan but will buy gear if it is the best in class. However, I do think other companies are make just as good of gear on certain lines. KUIU uses Torray which is great stuff but it isn't the best in class. If it was other
hunting brands would use it. All brand have flaws, but the Polish down KUIU uses is the real deal. Pertex is the down competitor and even that is not exclusively sourced from one location. the rest of KUIU to me is good gear but does not stand out.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
This is my exact sentiment, literally to the T.

When KUIU was first taking off you just got the vibe that wearing their gear put you in a pretty exclusive club.

No one really knew much about their brand aside from the hardcore gear junkies.

Since Jason's passing, the direction they've taken bothers me tremendously. Lifestyle companies like Eddie Bauer are cool, but not for technical hunting gear.
Agreed. I’ve purchased a decent amount of their gear over the last year and it has all worked flawlessly. After his passing I was worried they might close their doors and wondering if I needed to buy the things left on my list. A few days later they came out with the Rubicon jacket, Pro pants, Kenai Ultra line, etc, and seemed like they were going to be solid.

Shortly after, they started coming out with all this logo branded crap like a ****ing pop socket. My wife has one of them on her phone because she’s always using Snapchat. Any man that has one deserves to be ridiculed mercilessly, if not kicked in the crotch, especially a backcountry hunter. I really hope they don’t become a “lifestyle/household” brand like The North Face has done and start churning out shit geared towards high school kids to make a few $. I don’t have a good feeling about it unfortunately.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I would bet the product rolling out is still what Jason signed off on. You would think they projected 12-24 months out.

I would bet the product rolling out is still what Jason signed off on. You would think they projected 12-24 months out.

I would agree with all of the clothing that has been developed, but it wouldn’t take anything more than a phone call to get their logo slapped on all the branded accessories other companies are making for them. I could be wrong, but it seems contrary to everything he talked about.

bradb

WKR
What does anyone think of there Talus pant versus Timberlines?
And I actually want the solid colors not camo

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
What does anyone think of there Talus pant versus Timberlines?
And I actually want the solid colors not camo

After asking Sitka, First Lite and Kryptek to build these exact pants for the last three year. I bought a pair and have to say I really like them and would buy them over the Timberlines for any late season/wet weather hunting.

I would like someone to make a pair of pants that are totally waterproof below the knee. That would be ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan what are your thoughts on the hip vents vs pants without hip vents. Did you use them and do you feel they offer an advantage in managing your temperature regulation?

Ryan what are your thoughts on the hip vents vs pants without hip vents. Did you use them and do you feel they offer an advantage in managing your temperature regulation?

I'm not Ryan, but I've used several pairs of pants that have vents and ones that don't. I can definitively say that the vents work amazingly, especially in the heavier pants meant for cold weather. For example, the Core4element Element pants were very warm and heavy; great late season pants. They had the zips in the inner thigh, which I liked since that is where you actually build the most heat. Problem is that area gets very little airflow (one reason it gets so warm) so it has a moderate effect when active. Fast forward to the Kuiu line. I used their Axis pants, their heaviest, this year in subfreezing to 40's and absolutely loved the vents they had. They build up heat quickly, especially with the fleece backer but you can vent it quickly with the hip vents. Air circulation is much more efficient from the sides where it is open as opposed to the inner thigh vents. Get a small breeze going and you can cool off VERY quickly. IMHO, these vents are what separate Kuiu from the rest of the pack in terms of pants. Until another company makes them with the hip or thigh vents, Kuiu will always have the edge in versatility.

Let's see

Pop sockets. Hate them. But, my son bought be me one for Christmas. I've stored it away hoping it will die a slow death not attached to my phone.

Peloton. The 97 and 200 I'm guessing are their go forward lines. They are the Kashkari fleece vs the 130 and 240. Supposed to be warmer and lighter. I wish they made a 200 zip off bottom.

New hunting gear. I like the ideas of some of the new pants and jackets that seem to be a little more stout. I might try some of them. Product lines have to change. It keeps us buying more.

New trendy gear. I'm afraid this might signal a shift in their business away from core hi-tech great fabrics to mediocre fabrics and fashion statements. I don't mind solid colors, but expanding into some of the other trinkets can absolutely dilute what they are or what they used to be if someone isn't careful. The clothes hitting the market for the next year were started (and at least partially developed) with Jason's involvement. It seeks the clothing companies are on an 18-24 month development cycle. At some point, that will shift and clothes will be released that did not originate with his input.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

Every pair of pants should have hip vents. They are simple and make cold weather pants usable over a much larger temperature range. My favorite pair of pants are First Lite Corrugated Guide Pants. I had a seamstress put in some hip vents:)

Every pair of pants should have hip vents. They are simple and make cold weather pants usable over a much larger temperature range. My favorite pair of pants are First Lite Corrugated Guide Pants. I had a seamstress put in some hip vents:)

My thoughts exactly. While I haven't had them added, I've certainly excluded pants that don't have them.

What did it run to have them put it? Regular seamstress or specialty?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Muttly

WKR
Pop sockets....
Are those the goofy looking things that look like a suction cup, or soother or..whatever I,m seeing on the back of phones now??
Old guy, not with the times, gotta ask..

There are now 3 other companies that make pants with hip zip vents (Eberlestock, Skre gear, and now Stone Glacier). It appears its starting to catch on which is a great thing for all of us. It appears Stone Glacier took it to a new level with the zip being much larger then the KUIU's. This will have some awesome benefits to dump heat quick.

Why hasn't anyone else came out with zip off base layers. Seems like the best idea ever.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Rommy

Lil-Rokslider
After asking Sitka, First Lite and Kryptek to build these exact pants for the last three year. I bought a pair and have to say I really like them and would buy them over the Timberlines for any late season/wet weather hunting.

I would like someone to make a pair of pants that are totally waterproof below the knee. That would be ideal.

How do the talus pants compare to the timberlines in terms of warmth?

Love the knee down waterproof feature of the talus but might go for the kuiu axis pants because they are warmer.

Have you happened to have tried to axis pants?

Tanks.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I would say they are about the same. Maybe the timberlines are a touch warmers. But I loved not wearing gaiters.

tdhanses

WKR
Pop sockets....
Are those the goofy looking things that look like a suction cup, or soother or..whatever I,m seeing on the back of phones now??
Old guy, not with the times, gotta ask..

I had to go look on their website to see what it was, never heard of it before but had seen this and got a good laugh out of it. Really people have a hard time holding a phone, lol.