Kuiu or First Lite

RDUB

FNG
Kuiu Kutana Pants or First Lite Corrugate Guide Pants, and why?

Looking for something lightweight, durable, and comfortable for moving up steep stuff.

jolemons

WKR
Kutana fabric is far more abrasion resistant. Guide pants are a 4 way stretch, so more comfortable. I enjoy both for different purposes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

TBHasler

WKR
Venting on the Kuiu pants are pretty top notch. I’ve had both pants, still have Katanas, if I planned on climbing a bunch in them, I’d pick the Kuiu’s.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Not a close choice for me, Kuiu pants are my favorite. FL has better merino but don't care for their pants

Jhill1980

FNG
Kuiu Kutana Pants or First Lite Corrugate Guide Pants, and why?

Looking for something lightweight, durable, and comfortable for moving up steep stuff.
You would be happy with either. They are both awesome pants. To be honest I would go with whatever you can find the best deal on. You can’t go wrong with either. It comes down to the best deal for you, and whatever happens to tickle your fancy. Firstlite and Kuiu are both top notch. Kuiu has an annual sale where a lot of their gear is discounted. I got my Kuiu pack setup for 50% off!

MrSunday

Lil-Rokslider
I own both brands of pants. The First Lite pants are fine but Kuiu is better IMO. Better details like side vents, fabrics, and fit.

Are the Kutana pants just a more abrasion resistant version of the Attacks? I have a pair of those that I love, weight and venting are perfect. They have some pilling which doesn’t bother me, no rips or worn through spots, but they do ZERO to stop briars. I’m not talking devil’s club or mesquite, tiny blackberry stems stab you through the pants to where you have to stop and manually remove them. If the Kutanas will stop that and still breathe/stretch, I’m all in.

FWIW, my hunting partner tore his corrugate guides the first trip in them. No fall, he just randomly found a hole in the ass which he assumed was from climbing over a tree at some point.

OP
R

RDUB

FNG
Venting on the Kuiu pants are pretty top notch. I’ve had both pants, still have Katanas, if I planned on climbing a bunch in them, I’d pick the Kuiu’s.
Thank you for your help, one last question though. Do you have any experience with the Sitka Mountain pants and if so how do those match up with the Kutanas? I had the Apex pants by Sitka and I got a golf ball size tear on the first day of my hunt from a bush. Are they like the apex’s?

Not to hijack, but I have been an attack pant fan for a while. I’d say they are my favorite hunting brand pants. How do they compare to the katana pants?

TBHasler

WKR
Thank you for your help, one last question though. Do you have any experience with the Sitka Mountain pants and if so how do those match up with the Kutanas? I had the Apex pants by Sitka and I got a golf ball size tear on the first day of my hunt from a bush. Are they like the apex’s?

Yes, the Mtn pants are between Sitka’s Ascent and Timberline pants in terms of weight, warmth etc. They’re definitely heavier than the Katanas; more on par with Attack pants weight but a bit more quiet.
They are pretty durable but have less stretch than Katanas or Attacks and of course do NOT have venting capability. I rarely use them as I just don’t seem to be in the Goldilocks zone often - I seem to either need lighter/cooler or heavier/warmer. The Mtn’s are a good pant and durable but If I was choosing, I’d go with the Katana or Attacks Over the Mtn pant.

TBHasler

WKR
Not to hijack, but I have been an attack pant fan for a while. I’d say they are my favorite hunting brand pants. How do they compare to the katana pants?

Katanas are a bit lighter and more stretch. I’m an attack fan as well, they’re spot on when stating “when you can only have one pant” - they come with me on every hunt. Even if I don’t end up putting them in the pack, they are at the truck or available.
The Attack’s do snag and get thread pulls worse - nothing I’ve had has ruined a hunt or the pants yet, but with enough pulls they’ll definitely need to be replaced before my Sitka Ascents or Katana’s. The Kutanas remind me of the Ascent - they are way more durable than they feel. Don’t know what the physics are but the extra stretch seems to reduce snags/pulls.
Again, venting for the Kuiu pants is key for me - so while I’ll be keeping my Ascents & Mtn. Pants they don’t make trips with me anymore
Another upside is the Katana and Attacks are $40 - $60 less than the Sitka equivalents.

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu has held up better than Sitka or First Lite for western hunting. They don't get snagged as much. So that's the deciding factor for me.

ChrisAU

WKR
Corrugate Guides were my 100% of the time pants until the Kutanas came out. Ventilation makes any pant better, and they are much more pile resistant than the FL Corrugates. Pocket layout is better too IMO. I still have my corrugates, but I'm not sure why. I have two pairs of Kutana's I had hemmed and wore them for over 100 days of hunting this past season and you can't tell a difference between them and new ones.

As mentioned , you really can't go wrong with either pant. If you absolutely have to own hip zips to let out more heat, Kuiu. Both really are quality pieces. If you go the Kuiu route, keep all your receipts. They are not a no questions asked warranty like First Lite & Sitka. No receipt , no warranty from Kuiu

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
Just and FYI-First Lite is releasing three new lines of pants in the coming weeks, so I would keep an eye out and see what they release. You may not be disappointed and may sway your choice.

Brendan

WKR
I have had 3 pairs of First Lite pants fail miserably, and that doesn't count 2-3 other pieces of First Lite gear that failed too.

I can't count a single failure like that with Kuiu or Sitka. Both have been bomb proof for me.

YMMV...

Ramblr

FNG
I have had 3 pairs of First Lite pants fail miserably, and that doesn't count 2-3 other pieces of First Lite gear that failed too.

I can't count a single failure like that with Kuiu or Sitka. Both have been bomb proof for me.

YMMV...
Were they all related to poor workmanship, poor materials, or both? Also, did they warranty any of them?

Kuiu has held up better than Sitka or First Lite for western hunting. They don't get snagged as much. So that's the deciding factor for me.
My experience was different, i only have the timberline and apex from sitka to compare but they're WAY more durable than my kuiu stuff and i gravitate to them more often. I have/had a couple pieces from most the bigger companies. I wore some brand new attack pants for like 5 days in hells canyon and got a rip on the butt from a snag. They're possibly the softest and most comfortable feeling pants ive ever worn tho and the vents are nice. I feel like kuiu is more focused on other features than durability. Just depends on what matters to you. First lite is the least impressive to me. My wife has a puffy and i have some base layers and they seem fragile, especially for the price. They have offered to warranty them when i called so that is great