KUIU or other Versatile Frame Setup/Pack Load Hauler Solo Advice

Aqua Sage

FNG
Greetings, Just was looking for any input on whether getting a Kuiu Pro Frame/Suspension and then using a Pack Load Hauler only would potentially be a viable way to cut down cost and/or weight. Just looking to simplify a system and cut a few loose ends out. Getting the Load Hauler and then stuffing day/ overnight gear into a stuff sack seems like a good way to start out with a KUIU system that is workable in the short term.

So has anyone used the Frame/Suspension with a Pack Load Hauler for day use and 2-3 overnights in backcountry?

I am not opposed to using Kifaru, MR, or SG pack frames if they may integrate a similar system that does cut down on cost which seems probable as most load hauling add-ons use less material. Also if you guys have any feedback on the KUIU Load Pack Hauler, I would appreciate that as well. Thanks.

Rilsee

FNG
Kuiu is trash. Literally any other of the listed companies will serve your needs much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tried some stuff sack/drybag on a frame a few times. Ultimately I don’t like it, feels better suited for a thruhiker. When hunting or just a simple day hike it’s nice having a couple pockets for organizing plus the durability of heavier fabric.

I had a couple sg frames and they also make a dry-ish bag. It’s primary function is a meat bag but also can be used as a minimalist dry bag. Their frames have a built in load shelf so no need to buy a separate load hauler.

Currently I’m using a kuiu set up with the ultra 4000 bag (similar to the current pro LT). For me it’s a great compromise of simplicity and organization. Fairly light too as the ultra or pro LT bags weigh nearly a half pound less.

I’m not sure I completely understand your question though. Are you looking to get started with minimal start up cost, by a bag later? Or just really like to keep it simple?

hunting1

WKR
I don't agree with the KUIU is trash but to each is there own. I have a MR Nice Frame, several versions of Kifaru frames, and the Kuiu newest Pro Frame. as well internals. I compare the Kuiu to Kifaru as a Ford Raptor to an F250. I run the 3600 bag on my Kuiu and you can put meat in between.

The MR is a loaner pack, does not fit me well or causes pain with loads. Good luck!

Kuiu frames struggled in the beginning. I have not seen complaints let me back in the day. I actually looked at them yesterday. However, they only offer two belt sizes. Not ment for big guys like myself 😯

Elkobsessed

Lil-Rokslider
My Kuiu pack has served me well, I haven't used the load hauler although I suspect it is similar to using the load sling with any of their packs. I packed out two elk this year, one inside my 5200 and one on the load sling with my ultra 2200. Both worked just fine, but it is a little easier placing it inside the bag. as fng4life said, one of their ultra bags will likely suit you well and the weight of the 4000LT bag vs the load hauler is pretty negligible. You will get some trash talking on here about Kuiu but my experience says they are legit....lightweight, great bag layout, comfortable....zero complaints from me

OP
Aqua Sage

Aqua Sage

FNG
Great Input Everyone,
fng4life -Yeah I am looking for low start up cost and maybe add a bag later if I feel like it. Great info on the SG setup I will look into that as another pack.
hunting1 -I will look into Kifaru, just curious can you run the Kifaru solo without the bag and does it still function nicely.
hammer0419 - Yeah, I am a skinny dude so hopefully those size ranges will work.
Elkobsessed- Yeah, I second having a bag as easier for organization, just right now looking at trimming costs down as much as possible and evaluating alternatives. The KUIU bags and systems fly like hotcakes on classifieds.

Hoghead

WKR
Look at initial acent frame with lid and pannier carrier. That's my day pack set up. You could use a dry bag and also have the lid for items you need fast.https://initialascent.com/product/day-pack-kit/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
Aqua Sage

Aqua Sage

FNG
Hoghead-Great insight to see that IA has a similar setup, although I think the price is pretty steep.
NomadWithaDog-I saw the Seek Outside Pack with an Ultralightweight Frame and Talon and that seemed like it would work. Do you have any other system recomendations for Seek Outside? I hope to try on some packs this upcoming Monday.

If seek outside had it's original belt they would be the odds on favorite. It's too thin and no power pulls are two biggest issues. Great frame and bags.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If seek outside had it's original belt they would be the odds on favorite. It's too thin and no power pulls are two biggest issues. Great frame and bags.
We added forward pulls in the 4 way belt. It still allows top and bottom adjust. Too thin is a personal opinion. Many people prefer the 1/2 inch with thicker / grippier spacer mesh vs the 5/8 - 3/4 . The 1/2 inch uses a progressive foam.

Also, our breakway platform has always acted well as a hauler with just a talon .. or merlin. It's super easy no configuring .

smitty619

FNG
In my opinion, if Seek Outside is an option, then Seek Outside is probably the answer. I have a Divide I use for backpacking and I just love it!

OP
Aqua Sage

Aqua Sage

FNG
Kevin_t- Thanks for chiming in, I looked for a showroom or dealer near me for SO pack but nothing was nearby. I am definitely interested in trying on the SO packs. A lot more affordable.
smitty619- Will be checking out SO for sure.

If you want to look at MR then i would suggest looking at the MR Terraframe 50 at sierra.com. The 2019 pack and frame combo is selling for $229.00. You aren't going to get any of the others on your list even used at that price. If you need more than the 50l's of the pack then you could add a camp bag between the frame and pack to do just what you are asking.

It is definitely the best value assuming it fits. I bought one last month and packed out a whole whitetail doe with it last week. I had somewhere around 110-120 pounds on my back and it worked great!

e96042b442848b560421caa9a595480a.jpg