Kuiu or Sitka

SemperFi

FNG
I’m looking at getting either the Sitka fanatic lite bibs and jacket or the Kuiu Attack pant with the Guide DCS jacket (Verde). I get the %40 off with Sitka and %10 off with Kuiu. So either set up would be the same cost.

I hunt with a saddle harness, and I’m looking for something light weight that could get me through Sept-Jan whitetail bow hunting with appropriate layers ( the above mentioned being dedicated outer layers). My three biggest concerns are 1 noise, 2 wind/water resistance, 3 effectiveness of camo pattern.

I have not been able to find many reviews on the fanatic lite, it doesn’t seem like it offers as much wind resistance as Kuiu, and I can’t afford to invest in their heavyweight fanatic system as well as the fanatic lite. Ideally I would have an early, mid, and late season set up but I really just want one system that I can layer through all season which im aware is asking a lot.

wayoh22

WKR
Where are you hunting? What are the temperature ranges? I have the fanatic bibs and jacket and would never even think to wear those until late Oct here in CT when it starts hitting below 40 degrees. And even then I'm wearing a t-shirt underneath the fanatic jacket and merino boxers under the bibs. Can attest that the fanatic system is silent and retains temp extremely well. Camo is very subjective but I def didn't buy those pieces for the camo pattern. With rain I never had a problem in a slight drizzle. Anything more than than that I'm throwing on my thunderhead jacket which does the job.

If you can grab the Fanatic Lite bib and jacket for $360 (.60 ($299.99 x 2)) it's almost a no brainer.

Can't speak to the specific pieces of Kuiu but just quickly googling them I'd take the whole fanatic lite system over those 2 pieces you mentioned any day. Trying to have the temperature versatility between two arguments alone is unrealistic but for how you said they would be strictly outer layers I guess you could do it with proper layering. I don't think you'll stay as warm as you could be in the fanatic lite system though.

I have the Kuiu Attack pant and while nice, they're pretty form fitting unless you size up quite a bit. So as an outer layer, they could get snug quick. And they're not windproof, so you'd notice a good breeze I'd say. I can get one or two base layers under them, but doesn't keep me warm all day if temps are in that 20-30 degree range or lower. I have a buddy with the Fanatic Lite bibs and they seem to allow for more layers beneath, depending on body type of course. You could wear a rain pant or wind proof pant under the bibs if you by chance already have that and want to cut down on cost/buy more stuff. You could get the Attack Pant on sale and use those most of the season, then on cold days carry in some decent Gore-tex bibs for windproof and waterproof. Too many options. ha!
Oh and the Fanatic Lite jacket is quiet and I wanted to love it, but I couldn't layer under it enough for cold archery sits. It got too snug in the arms. Sitka and Kuiu are made really well, but they come as a set/system to make you buy more of their stuff. Smart, no doubt. Just depends how many layers you want to wear under them. I tried the Kuiu Guide Jacket, same problem with layering, returned it. But if quiet is your main goal, Sitka gets the nod.

Lowg08

WKR
I own the attack and guide jacket. The layering is limited. A friend of mine has the fanatic and swears by it.

The Attack pants and Guide jacket are nice, but not much for wind resistance and definitely not warm when sitting still. Might be comfortable down to 50 degrees with no wind depending on layers. I'd look more at the Kuiu Axis.

The fanatic is going to be the opposite. It's going to block the wind and be much warmer, but also bulkier and heavier and not much use on warmer days. The Sitka whitetail system is fleece and will pick up stickers and burs if that bothers you. Like said above, it's going to depend on where you are hunting and what the conditions are like.

I am using Kuiu Axis pants and Sitka Jetstream jacket with layers this year for the late season. I really like Vias and open country patterns for tree stand hunting. I really like Kuiu pants and Sitka jackets. I just fell like this setup is more versatile than bibs and a heavy jacket.

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
Assume whatever size you choose, they will be one size smaller. I had to return jackets because there was no room for the proper layering when stand hunting.

OP
S

SemperFi

FNG
Where are you hunting? What are the temperature ranges? I have the fanatic bibs and jacket and would never even think to wear those until late Oct here in CT when it starts hitting below 40 degrees. And even then I'm wearing a t-shirt underneath the fanatic jacket and merino boxers under the bibs. Can attest that the fanatic system is silent and retains temp extremely well. Camo is very subjective but I def didn't buy those pieces for the camo pattern. With rain I never had a problem in a slight drizzle. Anything more than than that I'm throwing on my thunderhead jacket which does the job.

If you can grab the Fanatic Lite bib and jacket for $360 (.60 ($299.99 x 2)) it's almost a no brainer.

Can't speak to the specific pieces of Kuiu but just quickly googling them I'd take the whole fanatic lite system over those 2 pieces you mentioned any day. Trying to have the temperature versatility between two arguments alone is unrealistic but for how you said they would be strictly outer layers I guess you could do it with proper layering. I don't think you'll stay as warm as you could be in the fanatic lite system though.

For active hunting Kuiu gets the nod. For quiet tree stand sitka for sure.
neither of those set ups will be weather resistant but they will both offer some protection from light precipitation.
Here’s my suggestion, buy the full fanatic set, not the light. In warmer weather just use a black sweatshirt or something weather consistent with temps to allow you to better hunt the early season. The light is not going to get you where you want in January. And being in a tree stand/saddle, the deer aren’t going to care about what you wearing, they will only care if you stink, or if you are moving a lot. A 10 dollar Walmart sweatshirt that is quiet will do you more good early than the 250 fanatic light will do you later...

OP
S

SemperFi

FNG

Can't speak to the specific pieces of Kuiu but just quickly googling them I'd take the whole fanatic lite system over those 2 pieces you mentioned any day. Trying to have the temperature versatility between two arguments alone is unrealistic but for how you said they would be strictly outer layers I guess you could do it with proper layering. I don't think you'll stay as warm as you could be in the fanatic lite system though
I am hunting in the Ozarks of Missouri, temperature is very “bipolar” it can be low 40’s in October in the morning and jump to the 80’s by the afternoon.

i walk a good distance before I get to where I put my stand up at lest a mile usually. And in brushy rocky hilly terrain.

I usually sit an hour before shooting light and will sit until 1100 depending on activity.

I usually walk to my stand In base layers and dress out once I get there before I start climbing.
For active hunting Kuiu gets the nod. For quiet tree stand sitka for sure.
neither of those set ups will be weather resistant but they will both offer some protection from light precipitation.
Here’s my suggestion, buy the full fanatic set, not the light. In warmer weather just use a black sweatshirt or something weather consistent with temps to allow you to better hunt the early season. The light is not going to get you where you want in January. And being in a tree stand/saddle, the deer aren’t going to care about what you wearing, they will only care if you stink, or if you are moving a lot. A 10 dollar Walmart sweatshirt that is quiet will do you more good early than the 250 fanatic light will do you later...
Well there is my dilemma... I walk a good distance before I get to my tree, about a mile in rough terrain. So I’m very active before I get where I want to be followed by 4-6 hours of sitting. But I may take your advice. I’m very minimalist and don’t like to have lots of gear, so it’s back to the drawing board

Lowg08

WKR
I am hunting in the Ozarks of Missouri, temperature is very “bipolar” it can be low 40’s in October in the morning and jump to the 80’s by the afternoon.

i walk a good distance before I get to where I put my stand up at lest a mile usually. And in brushy rocky hilly terrain.

I usually sit an hour before shooting light and will sit until 1100 depending on activity.

I usually walk to my stand In base layers and dress out once I get there before I start climbing.

Well there is my dilemma... I walk a good distance before I get to my tree, about a mile in rough terrain. So I’m very active before I get where I want to be followed by 4-6 hours of sitting. But I may take your advice. I’m very minimalist and don’t like to have lots of gear, so it’s back to the drawing board

I have this dilemma too. This is how I solved it. I walk in cold. Start out with FL kanabs, wool t shirt and a cotton hoodie. When I get to where I’m going I change. It took some tuning in but here is were I settled today. Base layer Sitka gradient set, Sitka kelvin set and adding a downpour rain suit. That covers all bases and a compression sack makes it smaller more packable. I have lots of kuiu for spot and stalk or days where i am plan on kinda what I call scout hunting.

There are very few options you could use to
Fit your “one size fits all” concept. You would def sweat out fanatics walking in. You would freeze walking in in attacks and guide and then becoming stationary with just that on. you will need maybe two line ups. A walk in line up and a sitting line up. Personally since you will just be walking in with it, I would go cheap for the walk in and then get gear to suit your needs in the stand. That’s my thoughts. A durable pair of joggers or loose jeans you could layer under as needed walking in, and then put on the fanatics at the stand. I would recommend a puffy set up but for bow hunting that would be way too loud.
honestly it seems you “need” both set ups...or some way to make the Kuiu line up way more warm (though I would still go with the sitka set up for stand hunting, it’s what it was designed for, unlike what the Kuiu gear was designed for). Not worried about warm weather times, that’s easy. The cold is when it will hit.

Kuiu active hunting design

Sitka has whitetail designed line.

Seems like a no brainer to me. Although no one jacket is going to take you from 80 to below freezing - especially when non-active hunts. Completely Unrealistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

SemperFi

FNG
I have this dilemma too. This is how I solved it. I walk in cold. Start out with FL kanabs, wool t shirt and a cotton hoodie. When I get to where I’m going I change. It took some tuning in but here is were I settled today. Base layer Sitka gradient set, Sitka kelvin set and adding a downpour rain suit. That covers all bases and a compression sack makes it smaller more packable. I have lots of kuiu for spot and stalk or days where i am plan on kinda what I call scout hunting.

Do you wear the downpour as your outer layer regularly or just for wet days

Lowg08

WKR
I am buying the down pour to be a full time outer layer. I’ve also thought about the stratus for dry days but it cuts weight to just do the down pour. I packed in the normal bulky clothes last year it filled up a 65 liter pack. I had to do some serious tinkering this year

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
OP, I hunt southwest Missouri so I understand the temps you are facing. I can get cold easy at times as well. Her is my system for most of the year. I have merino bottoms an equinox pants for early to mid season. As the season goes on I have a set of heavyweight bottoms and gradient pants for base layer and insulation that I wear under my stratus pants. Up top I have lightweight long sleeve or merino for early then later my fanatic hoody and kelvin lite vest under my stratus jacket as it goes on. I am looking at the Celsius medi jacket to replace my kelvin’s lite vest and looking at switching to the stratus bibs to cut down on drafts. This usually gets me to early to mid December before having to add more layers. That’s when we really need to switch to the fanatic series or at least I do.

For tree stand still hunting I wouldn’t be considering Kuiu. I have the Kuiu items you mentioned and never even think to wear them in the tree.

The Sitka whitetail line is much better suited for the tree and will block wind much better. I would not choose the fanatic lite for the temp ranges that you’ll see. I would recommend the Stratus jacket and pant paired with the Equinox Hoody. You’ll end up wearing the Equinox a ton as it’s really versatile and the Stratus does a great job of blocking the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk