Kuiu or Sitka

peterk123

WKR
I too hunt out of a saddle. I think of hunting this style like backcountry skiing. Layers. My outer layer is a thin camo waterproof shell. I have a wicking layer, fleece, and a down parka for when it gets cold. I usually walk in and climb with just a wicking layer and/or light fleece. Once up in the tree, I put the rest of my layers on. The other nice thing about this system is that it is fairly inexpensive.

henz08

FNG
I have the Kuiu Attack pant and while nice, they're pretty form fitting unless you size up quite a bit. So as an outer layer, they could get snug quick. And they're not windproof, so you'd notice a good breeze I'd say. I can get one or two base layers under them, but doesn't keep me warm all day if temps are in that 20-30 degree range or lower. I have a buddy with the Fanatic Lite bibs and they seem to allow for more layers beneath, depending on body type of course. You could wear a rain pant or wind proof pant under the bibs if you by chance already have that and want to cut down on cost/buy more stuff. You could get the Attack Pant on sale and use those most of the season, then on cold days carry in some decent Gore-tex bibs for windproof and waterproof. Too many options. ha!
Oh and the Fanatic Lite jacket is quiet and I wanted to love it, but I couldn't layer under it enough for cold archery sits. It got too snug in the arms. Sitka and Kuiu are made really well, but they come as a set/system to make you buy more of their stuff. Smart, no doubt. Just depends how many layers you want to wear under them. I tried the Kuiu Guide Jacket, same problem with layering, returned it. But if quiet is your main goal, Sitka gets the nod.
Agree with the assessment of the KUIU attack pants.

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
Though I can't speak to the garments you're asking about, I would be remiss if I didn't go on a rant about how much I love my Kuiu gear.

I have a few items and love, love, love all of it! I have the merino longsleeve, Peloton 240 hoodie, a hat, balaclava, belt, and pack. Everything is made extremely well, durable, thought out in its design, and most importantly their sizing is consistent. The merino longsleeve isn't durable but not at their fault - it's merino so it will rip if caught on something. The Peloton 240 is 100% windproof. I love it. I run those items with Eddie Bauer Guide pants in a matching green. They have the same functionality as the higher-end hunting brand pants but at a fraction of the cost. As mid season comes and I need more warmth I add Cold Pruf base layers. When late season comes and I'm sitting stationary and need insulation I have ReadHead bibs and a ReadHead jacket from Bass Pro, in the Strata pattern. I can't say enough good things about those RedHead clothes. They're not as "cool" as some of the gear from Sitka or First Lite that's made for stationary whitetail hunting... but they're waterproof, windproof, super warm, and a fraction of the cost. Checks all my boxes.

Though camo patterns are just marketing ploys my Kuiu pattern of choice is Verde 2.0 as I'm wearing these clothes as my outer layers in early-mid season, in the woods.

All in all, like others have said, Kuiu is designed for active hunting only. They do not have a line like Sitka or First Lite that is made for keeping you warm while sitting stationary.

Landon4

Lil-Rokslider
I have the attack pants as well and guide dcs jacket they are both great, I wear the pants doing everyday chores and they are very comfortable and maneuverability is great they should work well for you.

hunt1up

WKR
I love Kuiu for out West but it's crap for deer hunting in any cold weather or wind. It just plain sucks. I run the Sitka Stratus for the majority of my deer hunting until I get below 30 degrees. The functionality of Sitka vs. Kuiu for stand sitting isn't even a comparison. I own probably 20 Kuiu items and they'll only get used in the early season for deer, if at all.

I love Kuiu for out West but it's crap for deer hunting in any cold weather or wind. It just plain sucks. I run the Sitka Stratus for the majority of my deer hunting until I get below 30 degrees. The functionality of Sitka vs. Kuiu for stand sitting isn't even a comparison. I own probably 20 Kuiu items and they'll only get used in the early season for deer, if at all.
Any input on the Peleton 240 jacket? Seems thin, but I liked the windproof aspect. I have the vest in blaze orange, seems like quiet material. But curious for thoughts on the jacket.

Southernhunters

Lil-Rokslider
Any input on the Peleton 240 jacket? Seems thin, but I liked the windproof aspect. I have the vest in blaze orange, seems like quiet material. But curious for thoughts on the jacket.

I’d like some first hand reviews on the same....

With all of that being said, I wear Kuiu and have no experience with Sitka other than reviews from those who wear it. I wear the Kuiu pieces in question and the only drawback I have to them is the lack of wind resistance, however with proper layering I feel like I can minimize that issue. As far as being quiet and durable, I feel like Kuiu does a great job, but the most impressive thing to me is it’s weather resistance. In anything other than a downpour the Kuiu keeps you very dry! I also am a big fan of the fit and lightweight aspect of the Kuiu, I had gotten tired of the “Michelin man” effect of other hunting clothes over the years trying to keep warm. Overall Kuiu gets my nod, only because I have never tried the Sitka, those who wear the Sitka do sweat by it though, so to each his own, do what works for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nnotch

Lil-Rokslider
I run KUIU out west and Sitka or Firstlite for whitetail at home here in MN... KUIU is fine early season whitetail but is ultimately designed for active hunting not hanging from a tree.... The new Sitka Stratus has my attention this year.... microfleece face for noise, windstopper, and lightly insulated with proper layering would an all season setup

I am hunting in the Ozarks of Missouri, temperature is very “bipolar” it can be low 40’s in October in the morning and jump to the 80’s by the afternoon.

i walk a good distance before I get to where I put my stand up at lest a mile usually. And in brushy rocky hilly terrain.

I usually sit an hour before shooting light and will sit until 1100 depending on activity.

I usually walk to my stand In base layers and dress out once I get there before I start climbing.

Well there is my dilemma... I walk a good distance before I get to my tree, about a mile in rough terrain. So I’m very active before I get where I want to be followed by 4-6 hours of sitting. But I may take your advice. I’m very minimalist and don’t like to have lots of gear, so it’s back to the drawing board

If you're in South Central Missouri, get the Stratus jacket and bibs and buy the core heavy weight base layers, that will keep you covered into the 20's. You shouldn't have too many hunts worse than that down there.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
I wear mostly Kuiu . Have attack and axis. Only thing I don't like about them is the size guides. Had to send stuff back and size up .

mgacf

FNG
I have all Kuiu and a cousin that runs all Sitka. If the price is the same I would lean towards Sitka for stand hunting. Like others have said, Kuiu is more of a light weight, layering design for mountain hunting. So hiking in with light gear and then adding a couple of layers for glassing etc. Works great in the mountains.

That being said I use Kuiu gear for tree stand hunting and it works just fine.

+1 on the Sitka fanatic series. There really is no substitute for the Gore windstopper stuff for tree stand hunting and the fanatic stuff is super quiet as well. The stratus series looks great too but I have not tried it yet.

I have had both kuiu and sitka lineups. Sizing was always an issue for me with kuiu. I sold my kuiu and went to sitka cause i could try them on in the store. Personally i like the sitka better overall.

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 240 hoody (they call it a hoody not a jacket). I love it. It's definitely windproof. It beads water too, but not for long. I got caught on a rainstorm using the 240 as my outer layer and it wasn't long before I was getting wet. No fault to Kuiu as that garment isn't supposed to be water resistant. When on an active hunt, I'm good down to 50° with the 240 and the Merino long-sleeve as my base layer.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk