KUIU pack/frame help...the noise is making me insane!

smartweed

FNG
My pack is three years old, an Icon Pro bag and Icon Pro belt. I had to use tons of Leukotape on the bottom of the frame to stop it from creaking constantly as I moved after I first began to use it. I contacted KUIU about my pack frame making that noise and they sent me a split piece of plastic that covered the bottom end of the pack frame, on the curved piece that rests in the belt pocket. Seemed like that would solve the issue, but as you can guess, it did not. I taped over that piece of plastic and the bottom of the frame with Leukotape again this year because I knew that would solve my issue. And it did. Anyway, I need help here figuring out my next move. Has anyone else had this same series of problems that the plastic piece did not solve? I'm at a loss as to what to do bc although KUIU has always been helpful (I went through three sets of shoulder straps that were bad when my pack was new, they kept mailing me straps until I got a good pair) I'm not sure they can solve this at this point. I love the comfort of the pack, along with the light weight, but I'm tiring of the constant issues on what should be a bulletproof product when it leaves their hands. Anyway, any home remedies, voodoo chants, or any other ideas are appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Delete this post and sell it here, use those funds to purchase an exo.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
S

smartweed

FNG
My reason for not wanting to leukotape it as the final solution is that it wears out, requiring replacement a couple times a year. And even more than that, I paid quite a bit of $ for the pack system, it should work correctly or the company should solve it. I'm going to resort to taking this issue back to KUIU again I suppose but I wanted to know if others had a solution or had experience dealing with KUIU to solve this even?

IdahoElk

WKR
My reason for not wanting to leukotape it as the final solution is that it wears out, requiring replacement a couple times a year. And even more than that, I paid quite a bit of $ for the pack system, it should work correctly or the company should solve it. I'm going to resort to taking this issue back to KUIU again I suppose but I wanted to know if others had a solution or had experience dealing with KUIU to solve this even?

Where exactly is it creaking? What size is it? a source of noise in my pack was the hook for the hydration bag,easy fix but was driving me crazy.

I’ve been through all the major pack frames except Kifaru and went back to kuiu because the frame shape fits me best. Mine will creak once in awhile and my solution was athletic tape on the bottom of the frame and some graphite powder. Pretty much fixed it unless I get a bunch of needles and sticks in there. Once I clean them out seems to go away. Usually once a year I will retape and graphite. I also tape where the shoulder strap slides go through the slots. If it makes you feel any better both my EXO frames and stone glacier Krux made noise. I think it’s just kind of something that happens with cordura type fabrics with a frame inside them or In pockets sewn or cordura. Some people are just more sensative to the squeaks and creaks than others.

OP
S

smartweed

FNG
Had the hydration hook creak noise too, figured that out thankfully after the first few bouts of insanity using it....

Perhaps you're right Dover, it could be that I'm just sensitive because I have good hearing. I haven't tried graphite powder but it's worth a shot. I'll check my pocket too, but it should be clean bc I washed the whole rig after deer season.

I too love the comfort and in fact used mine in pa deer hunting, packed out three deer in it this year. But the noise makes me crazy. Thanks for everyone's thoughts and help.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If the area where the frame goes into the pack gets really dirty it can squeak. Depending on how many lumbar pads you are using, you can put the frame in between the two or three lumbar pads and that should work also. And I also agree if Leokotape works just use it, if it wears out use more. A roll of that stuff could go around the area you indicated about 50 times.

I like mine a lot but it bugs the shit out of me every time I set it down that the “pockets” at the top of the bag that slide into the top of the frame come off and I forgot to fix them when I suit back up and have a droopy ass pack and can’t access my gun or bow good.

Ashy there are straps at the bottom that should hook onto the bag against the frame that pull down to the bottom of the frame and keep those pockets down on the stays

Shooter09

WKR
I had the same issue and just got rid of the pack because no matter what I did it still made noise.

OP
S

smartweed

FNG
That's been my temptation too shooter, but I like the pack comfort and weight wise. And it's done well packing out my first elk and three deer so I am kinda fond of it. Guess I'll keep trying some of these suggestions.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Also had the same problem couple years ago. Talking about it might not sound like a big deal but when your behind a tree or bush and slowly look around with your Bono’s twisting your back and all you hear is this loud slow creaking noise.....it’s a problem. KUIU solution at the time was that carbon powder between the frame and pocket that held it to the belt but it didn’t work so I no longer use it anymore. Been using exo 2200 ever since.

LaHunter

WKR
I like mine a lot but it bugs the shit out of me every time I set it down that the “pockets” at the top of the bag that slide into the top of the frame come off and I forgot to fix them when I suit back up and have a droopy ass pack and can’t access my gun or bow good.

If this is happening, you have your bag attached incorrectly to the frame.
There are YouTube videos on how to properly connect the bags to the frame.

Spray all contact areas liberally with a Silicone based water repellent. I recall the most noise from where the frame slides into the waste belt. Clean it out good and soak both pieces with the spray.