Kuiu pack height - experience needed

calvb1

FNG
Hi all,
Ive researched and researched frame pack options and currently looking at EXO k3 or KUIU.
Time to tap in to the 'collective experiences'.

What Ive been searching for it lightweight (to be used for backpacking/mountaineering as well as hunting), yet still able to pack out a animal for 4-6 miles off trail.

The question I had about the KUIU for those that have it:
how high do the load lifter attachments on the frame stick above your shoulders?
do you find them often getting in the way when pushing through brush etc?
is there anyway to lower the frame on the suspension to have them ride lower for day packing but higher when carrying weight?

It is one of the features that I am impressed with on the EXO. I am mostly hunting blacktail in N. California. I'll do a long day hunt by myself through a lot of burn and brush, thats when its nice to be able to have a short daypack.
Im also working on a high school teacher salary so the fact that the KUIU will come in at least $150 cheaper is quite attractive..

Thanks all!

BBob

WKR
Mine are 3-4" above shoulders? They are just high enough that I get about 45° angle on the load lifters. Do they snag on anything or get in the way of anything? No. Never felt the need to lower it, it doesn't get in the way. Matter of fact it's about the same as any pack I've ever had with load lifters the same height, never been a problem. Dana , Mountainsmith, Osprey, etc...

I'm 155 ish lbs, 5'9", average proportions and I use a std frame.

When deciding on packs I went for Kuiu because on sale they were far less costly than the others. I was fortunate enough to test ride one for 3 weeks before I bought one. I now have 2 and they have done me well.

Hi all,
Ive researched and researched frame pack options and currently looking at EXO k3 or KUIU.
Time to tap in to the 'collective experiences'.

What Ive been searching for it lightweight (to be used for backpacking/mountaineering as well as hunting), yet still able to pack out a animal for 4-6 miles off trail.

The question I had about the KUIU for those that have it:
how high do the load lifter attachments on the frame stick above your shoulders?
do you find them often getting in the way when pushing through brush etc?
is there anyway to lower the frame on the suspension to have them ride lower for day packing but higher when carrying weight?

It is one of the features that I am impressed with on the EXO. I am mostly hunting blacktail in N. California. I'll do a long day hunt by myself through a lot of burn and brush, thats when its nice to be able to have a short daypack.
Im also working on a high school teacher salary so the fact that the KUIU will come in at least $150 cheaper is quite attractive..

Thanks all!
I just bought a kuiu 6000. So far I like it a lot. Very light and packs weight well. I haven't put an extreme amount of weight in it yet though. Haven't had problems in brush.

I bought an icon pro pack 2 years ago because I was also looking for a "cheaper" high end pack.
It has been comfortable for me when hauling less than 50lbs, but I wasn't impressed when I loaded up my bull for the packout this past year. It seems like it was hard for me to get the frame tall enough to make the load lifters work like they should. I do have a long torso (6'4") and have the extra tall frame.

OP
C

calvb1

FNG
Thanks all, its amazing when you do so much research how you can talk yourself in and out of so many options over and over again!

Maybe I just need to skip a mortgage payment and buy one of each..

Been a user since 2017 I believe the same year they dropped their 26” frame. Recently was warrantied to the Pro suspension which was a big improvement but still has room to grow mainly in the shoulder strap department. Fixed load lifter point is useless if you ask me.

Pretty much what’s stated above by others.
It’s a nice system but not if you are a really tall guy. I’d say if you fit in with the crowd it’s good

OP
C

calvb1

FNG
Thanks for the feedback. Ive been looking at just ordering the 'Pack Load Hauler' to be able to through any dry bag day pack etc in there.
Anyone used the Pack Load Hauler?

Thanks for the feedback. Ive been looking at just ordering the 'Pack Load Hauler' to be able to through any dry bag day pack etc in there.
Anyone used the Pack Load Hauler?

I would recommend a trip to the show room and have them fit you for it. If you end up with the wrong size frame, or don’t set it up right, it will be uncomfortable. I currently own the original ultra (now wife’s pack), icon pro, and the new pro generations of suspension. If your pack weight is usually 40lbs or less I would snag a used pack of the older generation and not think twice. Totally adequate for what you describe. Last year I packed out 98lbs for 10 trail miles with the icon pro and it was obviously difficult but doable. The new pro is a little beefier but may or may not be worth the extra cash. If deer hunting is your main deal, with a mix of backpacking and day pack use...Kuiu will be awesome for you. If you’re primarily using it for backpacking, or elk is on the table...look at the new pro vs the other brand you mentioned.

In the end the pack needs to fit right, period. No amount of $$$ spent can overcome a poor fitting pack.

GarrettA

FNG
Kuiu load levelers don’t ride too high. I have not noticed them getting caught on limbs or anything like that. I have the pro suspension with a 5000 bag and a 3600. I’m very happy with both. Very comfortable and easy to get in and out of.

BBob

WKR
If your pack weight is usually 40lbs or less I would snag a used pack of the older generation and not think twice. Totally adequate for what you describe. Last year I packed out 98lbs for 10 trail miles with the icon pro and it was obviously difficult but doable. The new pro is a little beefier but may or may not be worth the extra cash.

This ↑↑↑

I have no problem using and actually prefer the older Ultra suspension for lighter loads. My run and gun elk pack is an Ultra suspension 1850 bag combo. I also use it for out of the truck glassing sessions where I'm not going far or carrying much more than water, tripod and optics. I've carried much more weight with the Ultra in the past but the new Pro is better for that.