Kuiu Pack Mods

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
Let's talk Kuiu packs (haters need not apply)! What modifications have you made to your pack, and specifically have you attached any other brand pockets to the exterior for more capacity (i.e. Kifaru, HPG, etc).

I'll go first. I carry a Kuiu Icon Pro 3200 for everything from day hunts to 2-3 days. Seems to thrive as a day pack, but I'm pushing it's capacity limits on overnighters. I use the Kuiu accessory pouches clipped to the top and sides to gain a little more storage, but either need a better/bigger exterior pocket or buy a bigger bag altogether. On the interior, I keep everything organized with Kifaru pullouts. Those things have been amazing in terms of keeping the inside of my pack organized.

ChrisAU

WKR
My favorite mod is the addition of a Seek Talon. Functions like a KIfaru grab it for stuffing stuff behind it, adds fast access pocked (mesh on the back of it) that is great for keeping a few things you know you'll need quickly often, and the pocket inside adds 800 ci of storage that neatly compresses/folds flat when nothing is in it. Mine weighs 4.65 oz too.

uoqlSon.jpg

go_deep

WKR
I made a homemade rifle sling that puts my rifle hands free for quick glassing, but rides in front of the shoulder strap for easy access. I run a 6000 ultra on the new suspension, the new suspension is awesome!

ChrisAU

WKR
Meant to add that I also use a Kuiu gun holder lower but a Kifaru gun bearer upper. The Kifaru upper made specifically for Kifaru works fine on the Kuiu pack, no need for the clumsy universal.

rclouse79

WKR
I sewed webbing and tri-glide buckles to the pouch below so it attaches like the kifaru ones. I actually prefer this one. It is bigger and more quiet without the zippers. I also sewed my own pocket that will fit the butt of my gun for hikes out. I put and button and loop on the center, so I can make two smaller openings for my trekking poles. I can post pictures later if anyone is interested.

1611599198270.png

I can get a week of warm archery hunting in a Ultra 3000. I strap puffy and tripod to the outside, and food goes in a dry back strapped to the top. I wish they had a dedicated optional lid for this size range (and maybe they do now).

I use the 3200 for most of my hunting trips also. I made 2 straps and use the lid from my 6000 bag as extra space when using the 3200 for overnight trips.

Chris- How are you attaching the Talon? Are you mainly using it outside the Kuiu bag when needing to haul extra gear/big bull antlers?

OP
CaliWoodsman

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
My favorite mod is the addition of a Seek Talon. Functions like a KIfaru grab it for stuffing stuff behind it, adds fast access pocked (mesh on the back of it) that is great for keeping a few things you know you'll need quickly often, and the pocket inside adds 800 ci of storage that neatly compresses/folds flat when nothing is in it. Mine weighs 4.65 oz too.

uoqlSon.jpg
Man, that's a great picture. Also interested in hearing how you attached the Talon.

OP
CaliWoodsman

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
I can get a week of warm archery hunting in a Ultra 3000. I strap puffy and tripod to the outside, and food goes in a dry back strapped to the top. I wish they had a dedicated optional lid for this size range (and maybe they do now).
Yeah I definitely wish they had more lid and external pocket options.

I have a new pro 3600 and would like to integrate some type of meat shelf and straps to bind the load to the frame instead of relying on the bag and bag straps for compression. Anyone do something similar?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have run Kuiu for a couple years now.

I've swapped the lid onto my 3300, used extra straps to make the "meat shelf" easier, I make and use pullouts for inside, made a waterproof ripstop pullout that holds puffies for under the compression straps, a tripod pouch, and a full gun sleeve from waterproof ripstop.

2020 convinced me to do what I love, so I will be a Rokslide sponsor next week and start sewing and marketing the sort of stuff I made for myself and to customize packs like you all are saying. I have a full sewing shop with multiple machines and make shooting bags currently.

The 2021 plan is to work on products that Roksliders want. I have several thousand dollars worth of materials inbound right now... my shop functions well in small batch items and I love designing.

For fun, here is an idea if anyone wants in. I will make the first thing that gets ten people who want one in the thread. I will prototype it with you in another thread and let the first guy to post the idea name it, and give it to him for free. The first ten people who vote for it in this thread get 30% off and free shipping.

Last edited:

DJB

FNG
I hauled out two deer and an elk with my KUIU pro system this year. I put the meat between the bag and frame and it worked great. Held the meat in place just using the straps that hold the bag to the frame.

DJB

FNG
I have run Kuiu for a couple years now.

I've swapped the lid onto my 3300, used extra straps to make the "meat shelf" easier, I make and use pullouts for inside, made a waterproof ripstop pullout that holds puffies for under the compression straps, a tripod pouch, and a full gun sleeve from waterproof ripstop.

2020 convinced me to do what I love, so I will be a Rokslide sponsor next week and start sewing and marketing the sort of stuff I made for myself and to customize packs like you all are saying. I have a full sewing shop with multiple machines and make shooting bags currently.

The 2021 plan is to work on products that Roksliders want. I have several thousand dollars worth of materials inbound right now... my shop functions well in small batch items and I love designing.

For fun, here is an idea if anyone wants in. I will make the first thing that gets ten people who want one in the thread. I will prototype it will you in another thread and let the first guy to post the idea name it, and give it to him for free. The first ten people who vote for it in this thread get 30% off and free shipping.
I would like to see a pack load hauler that incorporated a 1500 cu in bag into the design.

Id like some sort of meat shelf that could be stored behind the pack when not in use. Kind of like the horn hunter full curl meat shelf and strap setup, but with the comfort of the kuiu pro.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Something like this?

I can make it with a bag, or to clip between existing bags and frames.

After packing over 100 lbs of caribou in AK, I've planned on a "meat bucket" so game bags don't shift around and slip out the bottom. I think that is what you are getting at.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210127-080338_Keep Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20210127-080338_Keep Notes.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 145
Thats exactly what I’m thinking of. That and a couple of straps that attach to the frame to cinch the meat directly to the frame so you don’t have to rely on the bag and bag straps to compress your meat load. Then you could attach the bag over top of the meat and cinch it however you’d like.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I sewed webbing and tri-glide buckles to the pouch below so it attaches like the kifaru ones. I actually prefer this one. It is bigger and more quiet without the zippers. I also sewed my own pocket that will fit the butt of my gun for hikes out. I put and button and loop on the center, so I can make two smaller openings for my trekking poles. I can post pictures later if anyone is interested.

View attachment 256873
The trekking pole gun boot idea is cool and clever. That's something I would use, either gun or poles are in my hands, never both.