Kuiu Pants Attack or Kutana

Barney

FNG
I'm new to owning Kuiu. I got a pair of the Guide pants on sale for winter and am really impressed with the quality and comfort. Were a little bagging and long so I need to get them hemmed, but I'm lanky guy.

I'm looking to get warm weather pants but not sure if I should go with Attack or Kutana. My priority is noise. The Guides are quiet enough. I've tried the Badlands scree pants but they sounded like windbreakers.

Anyone have experience with Attacks or Kutana? I'm thinking the Kutana would best for it's temp range and durability, but worried it could be a swishy pant. The Attacks look like the Guides but uninsulated. However, the Attacks may be too hot for hiking in warmer weather.

Thanks in advance!

eh254413

Lil-Rokslider
I have attack pants and love them. They have zip vents you can open up to dump heat that do their job well. I don’t notice them being noisy at all.

bayangler

FNG
I own both and generally hunt in relatively hot weather in CA with temps running up to 90+. The Kutana are a little louder and the Attacks are a little warmer but neither seem enough for me to notice. I tend to use both interchangeably.

Blackbird

FNG
I also have the attacks for warm weather I typically use FL corrugate as I get hot in the attacks. The corrugates do have a swish but are much cooler temp wise.

Moserkr

WKR
Attacks are too warm for me above 70* but ive done it for years. Also wore out around the ankles in 3 seasons. Stretch is superior compared to kutanas though. I bought the kutana for warm weather and durability. Much more comfortable when its hot in them. The attacks have been in the closet since i switched. 2 seasons in the kutana and they look new. Not as stretchy and took a while to break in. They dry and breath much better too. As far as swishy, I dont have an issue with either stalking within 20 yards of multiple mule deer without issue. Agreed kutana are louder but not a deal breaker. Now that mine are broke in Id say equally quiet. If I only had to buy one, kutana. I use my attacks for late season only now but you have the guides for that.

Bout the only two pair of hunting pants I now wear are Attacks and Kutanas. For active hunting, if it's warmer than 65, I'm wearing the Kutanas.

OP
Barney

Barney

FNG
By chance anyone use the guide jacket? Could it work with their super ultra puffer under it for colder temps. I'm looking for a jacket system that could range from cool to freezing. I use FL merinos both the 250 and 350 weights throughout year. I found the 350 FL pants under my guide pants are plenty warm in the teens for me. I'm think the guide jacket would be nice, but may need an extra insulator come this time of year.

Thanks all for your help!

68Plexi

WKR
I’ve owned both Attacks and Kutanas and I agree with the other posters. Attacks are great all around pants, but the Kutanas are better in warmer temps. They are also not as baggy as the Attacks.

I sold my Guide jacket because it didn’t keep the wind out. It’s a good all around soft shell jacket, like the Attacks are a good all around pant, but not keeping the wind out was a deal breaker for my needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moserkr

WKR
Guide jacket is overrated and heavy. Sold mine too. I use the strongfleece hoodie and kutana hybrid jacket (discont).

Skip the guide. I never wear mine. I picked up the axis hybrid and have never looked backed. For pants in warm weather you can't beat the Tiburons.

By chance anyone use the guide jacket? Could it work with their super ultra puffer under it for colder temps. I'm looking for a jacket system that could range from cool to freezing. I use FL merinos both the 250 and 350 weights throughout year. I found the 350 FL pants under my guide pants are plenty warm in the teens for me. I'm think the guide jacket would be nice, but may need an extra insulator come this time of year.

Yes, you can fit the Ultra down jacket under the Guide and be warm enough. I run that for work and it serves me well.

For hunting, I don’t use a Guide jacket. I use either the Axis or Kutana.

l have multiple pairs of the Attacks and Kutanas. For warm to mild conditions I exclusively use the Kutanas. Once the temps dip down into the 30s or lower I'll run the Attacks. I find both to be quiet and like the hip vents to dump heat. The Kutanas are very durable as well.

Colterw

FNG

I agree with everyone as far as the guide jacket is concerned. It's a lightweight soft shell, nothing more. Slightly lighter than a North Face apex soft shell.

It does provide some warmth and stops a bit of wind but excells at neither. Nor is it waterproof.

That said, I own one and do wear it but it is not the best option available from Kuiu.

I'm never truly comfortable in my Attack Pants until the temperatures hit below 40°F. This is relative to hiking around - not sitting and glassing. In my experience, the Attack pants are a lot warmer than some people tend to think. Kuiu advertises them as the "all-around" pant but I'd honestly say they are a cool weather pant (even cold-weather pant with the right base layer). They sure are comfortable and quiet though!

I have and still own the Guide Jacket but don't remember the last time I've actually used it. I have used the Superdown ULTRA Jacket under it and it works, but I wouldn't buy the Guide Jacket again if I had to redo it. It could just be that I don't really use any softshell for hunting anymore. Softshells just don't offer enough for the price I pay for them especially with the higher-tier hunting brands.

@Barney - I recently bought both the Axis and Guide jackets. Axis jacket is much better in my opinion, more water resistant, more windproof, and very comfortable.

jd1006

WKR
Kutana is going to be WAY better for warm weather than the attack. I thought the Tiburon wasn’t as good as advertised…had snags in it almost immediately and wasn’t that much more breathable than the Kutanas

I'm new to owning Kuiu. I got a pair of the Guide pants on sale for winter and am really impressed with the quality and comfort. Were a little bagging and long so I need to get them hemmed, but I'm lanky guy.

I'm looking to get warm weather pants but not sure if I should go with Attack or Kutana. My priority is noise. The Guides are quiet enough. I've tried the Badlands scree pants but they sounded like windbreakers.

Anyone have experience with Attacks or Kutana? I'm thinking the Kutana would best for it's temp range and durability, but worried it could be a swishy pant. The Attacks look like the Guides but uninsulated. However, the Attacks may be too hot for hiking in warmer weather.

Thanks in advance!
I have owned several pairs of kuiu attack pants and they have been awesome. I have needed to get them hemmed. I have used first lites foundry corrugate pant with side zips and they have been pretty similar but with a longer zipper for venting. The problem with the first lite pants is there’s no mesh screen to prevent debris from getting into the pants. I think the kuiu katana are the best for warmer weather. I also have tested stone glacier de havilland lite pant. Which are a mix between the first lite F/C and the kuiu attack pant. They are pretty good but still prefer the kuiu katana for fit and function. Good luck hope that helps!

I've got Attacks and Tiburons. Prefer the Attacks for what we do. It's cool in the morning and warmer in the pm. Tiburons are too cool for me in the early morning and I don't like wearing base layers. I also have the guide jacket and rarely wear it. Guide vest and Merino base layer is typically what i use for sept hunts. The jacket was a gift and I kind of echo most of the sentiments above on it. Actually I wish I had it in a solid so I could wear it day to day. Back to the pants, I have 2 pairs of attacks and a pair of tiburons. Honestly I now almost exclusively wear Prana Zions unless they get too funky by the end of the trip. I will say I do love the pit zips on the KUIU stuff though.