KUIU pants review and comparison of models

corncob

WKR
Thought I would take an opportunity to share my thoughts, as I ordered a good number of their pants during their 40% sale to try them out. I haven't owned any Kuiu pants to do, sticking with mostly Sitka and First Lite since I've caught those on sale. I spent a good amount of trying these on (much to my wife's amusement) and comparing the features, since I didn't feel like I could get a good handle on them by the website descriptions. On the website, they don't do much comparing to each other on fit, relative warmth, toughness, etc, and all seem to have different stats and attributes in different places. Okay, enough with the intro.

Tried on/Reviewed
Sierra
Attack
Pro
Talus Hybrid
Axis

Omitted - Tiburon, Kutana, Guide

I ordered these all in 32R because I tried on a friends pair of Guide Pants and they fit very comfortably in 32R, even with a pair of thermals underneath. Little did I know that those were before Kuiu changed their fit! So most of these were all a little tight - more details in the Fit section. For reference, I wear a 32 in FL and a 33R in Sitka.

Fit
These have an athletic fit. Not a bad thing at all, since most stretch. But it doesn't leave as much room for error. I'm generally a 32 or 33 waist, but in most jeans and dress pants I have to size up to fit my ass and hips into the pants without having elephant ear pockets (dress pants) or singing soprano when I try and move, then get the waist tailored in. I haven't had to get my FL or Sitka pants altered, but it looks like I'll have to size up in most of these and have the waist taken in. I could get them on and buttoned easily, but it wasn't comfortable in the crotch (felt like a constant wedgie) and I couldn't fit much in the pockets. This applies to the Attack, Pro, and Talus.

The Sierra and Axis actually fit comfortably, with the Axis slightly looser than the Sierra - I can comfortably get a pair of thermals on underneath the Axis. The Sierra would be tough with heavy thermals, but they are early season and wouldn't require that.

Noise
The Sierra and Attack are relatively quiet. There's a small swish when you walk, but I imagine most of that will go away with wear and washing.
The Pro, Talus, and Axis all have a rather loud, high-pitched swish when you walk that reminds me of walking in ski pants. Not sure if that will go away wish use and washing, but right now I certainly wouldn't be sneaking up on anything unless the wind was loud, too.

Features/Use - in rough order of lightest/warmest to heaviest/coldest

Sierra
- This looks to be a good early to mid season pant. I can wear them comfortably in the house without the zips open, and these feel very similar to Prana Zions but a little more breathable and a less narrow bottom of leg opening. A bit stretchy, super comfortable. Might end up ordering these in solid colors for hiking and general wear. These fit me just a tad looser in the hip/butt than all the others, except for the Axis.
- NO hip vents
- Front pockets are rounded and not reinforced.
- Two zippered side pockets, no "over flap"
- Back pockets, no zips.
- DWR
- No knee pads
- Only 2-way stretch, but these felt pretty stretchy, FWIW

Attack - Not a huge difference from the Sierra, except for the hip vents and pocket config. Seem to be a bit heavier than the Sierra, both in warmth and toughness. These fit me a bit tighter (not sure if that's common).
- Hip vents - these are great
- Squared front pockets, seem to be a bit reinforced.
- Zippered side pockets, with flaps
- Zippered back pockets, with flaps
- DWR
- No knee pads

Pro - Big feature difference from the Attack. About the same weight, but the Attack is the 247 g/m2 Primeflex Polyester and this is the 240 g/m2 Primeflex. It is supposed to be tougher and more durable, but it's definitely louder, too. Interior is brushed, making it warmer than the Attack. Odor control is added with these, although I didn't test that out, for which my wife was thankful!
- Knee Pads - these are somehow both thin and cushy, so they don't seem heavy when you don't need them. I'm really digging these.
- Brushed Interior (lightweight fleece)
- Odor control
- Same pockets and zips as the Attacks above.
- Hip vents
- DWR

Talus Hybrid - Adds some waterproof-ness (and taped seams) to the Pro model in the seat, knees, and lower legs. A bit heavier, but not too bad. Same noise level as the Pro. I don't really see any reason to get the Pro if you can find these at the same price or don't care. With the hip vents and mix of fabrics, these breath the same as the Pros.
- Same as the Pro, with added waterproof-ness in select areas

Axis Hybrid - A heavier, warmer pant than the Talus. A change in pocket config (more and all zips), no knee pads, a midweight fleece backer. Waterproof-ness in just the seat and knees, NOT the legs. I'm assuming that's because you'll be wearing gaiters for sure at this point in the year. I'm pretty disappointed that these don't have knee pads - not sure if Kuiu didn't think they were needed or if they were trying to keep weight down. In light of this, I think I might opt for the Talus and some heavyweight merino baselayer as opposed to the Axis - not worth the extra cost for me and not as flexible in use. I can always add some glassing pants for when I'm not moving.
- NO knee pads
- Heavier (midweight) brushed interior
- NO odor control
- Hip vents
- Zippered front, side, and rear pockets, no flaps. An additional third side pocket.

Thoughts on the pants I didn't get
Guide
- Note that I don't have the new version of this on hand, but I believe the main difference between this and the Axis is the waterproof areas on the Axis.

Tiburon and Kutana - after trying on the above models I think I'll go looking for these to test in the future.

Overall
After trying these on, I'm very impressed with Kuiu's pants overall and wish I had taken the time to test them earlier. Unfortunately these will all be going back because I need a different size, but I'll likely end up with a set of the Talus and either the Sierra or the Attack.

If you missed out on the 40% sale and have been looking for one of these in 32R, let me know - might be able to save us both a few bucks! Note that these are all in Verde 2.0 - wanted to add that after I've gotten a few notes asking for solids.

Last edited:
Great review.

Bummer you missed the Kutana. I have owned/worn the Attack, Sierra, and Kutana. They are the best lightweight pants I have put on. Lightweight, breathable, durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

corncob

WKR
Thanks! I’m hoping it will help someone that stares at Kuiu’s website for a bit like I do and isn’t really sure how some of the pants compare to each other.

The other pants are definitely on my list, now just to wait for another sale or pick some up used!

OP
C

corncob

WKR
Good review.
I have the guide and talus. Any chance for a jacket review?

Thanks! Doubtful, as I only tried on the Axis, Guide, and Kutana jackets. The Axis is more waterproof with some panels and seam tape, I’ve read the Guide isn’t very windproof, and the Kutana seemed like a light soft shell with different material (might have been a tad quieter). The Kutana didn’t really have a place in my system, either did the Guide. I found a secondhand Axis that I’ll be trying out this fall.

I seem to be the unusual in that I don’t want a soft shell for warmth - the only place it has in my kit is for light rain protection and wind resistance. I can carry lighter insulation and I want the soft shell to be relatively quiet so I can wear it bowhunting, too.

I would love to find a light softshell without a fleece liner that could stop wind and lite rain/snow. The nearest I might get is a Sitka Jetstream lite, but I haven’t tried that yet.

tracker12

WKR
Ascent is very quiet. I also have the pants. It does a decent job of blocking the wind. I like the ascent stuff cause I can put a base layer on and be warm on the early season 35 degree mornings then shed the base layer and be good to 80. I have worn it on Wy, CO and UT elk hunts with success. I heat up fast but get cold fast if I sweated to much. Ascent works for me.

OP
C

corncob

WKR
Ascent is very quiet. I also have the pants. It does a decent job of blocking the wind. I like the ascent stuff cause I can put a base layer on and be warm on the early season 35 degree mornings then shed the base layer and be good to 80. I have worn it on Wy, CO and UT elk hunts with success. I heat up fast but get cold fast if I sweated to much. Ascent works for me.

Is the jacket made from the same material as the pants? I had a pair of the pants (pretty slim fit) and I think they were made to let the wind through for early season breezes and heat. I can’t imagine a jacket with the same name stopping any sort of cold, late season wind.

I don’t want something to hike in primarily, I want something to put on when stopping or moving slowly, or sitting in a stand. Something that is the primary wind blocking later (from -10 to 45 degrees) that I can layer under.

tracker12

WKR
The Ascent will not really work for that. They are for more active wear in cooler not cold weather. And a nice outer layer in warm weather. Worked well for me in SEP elk hunts. I have the 90% jacket and pants that work for me in colder weather.