Kuiu pants

john2

FNG
Been wearing Tiburons in SE Idaho for archery elk the past 8 years or so. If it's a cold morning I wear a pair of zip off Kuiu merino wool long johns and drop the pants to my ankles to remove them when it warms up. They have held up well.

MrSunday

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the Tiburons for hot weather. They breathe very well. No experience with the Kutana though so I cant compare.

Poser

WKR
I love the Tiburon for true hot weather, especially above treeline where you need sun protection. I wear them all summer scouting and backpacking.

Kutanas are fine for September when weather starts cooking down a bit and I have worn them into November. I think they are a very versatile pant for general fall conditions, but above the low 80s and sunny, I’d find them too hot. I’m going to say they are more optimal for up to mid 70s. Hotter than that, Id go tiburon.

ILIKEGEAR

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Kutana Stretch Woven for brush. Tiburon for everywhere else. Both are great pants.

Jimss

WKR
I've had good luck with Tiburons during the summer/early season. They have mesh vents on the sides that can be opened up. The pockets are also nice.

Dominic06

FNG
Just bought a pair of kutana pants in valo for nor cal black tail and I loved them. I cleared brush in them and also worked in them and slid down rocky hills in my ass. They don’t have any tears or snags. I used them in summer and it was over 100 degrees here. They kept really nice airflow with the hip vents. I would most definitely recommend these for hot terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jd1006

WKR
Kutana. The Tiburon isn’t durable…nor does it stretch much, so for the price it isn’t worth it. The Kutana is dang near perfect. You could wear them from the hottest down to 40ish.

Norm555

WKR
I'm a big fan of the kutana and tiburon like most others have said. I love the tiburon but unfortunately doesn't hold up to the brush as well. I'm very impressed what I've put the kutana pants through thus far. Just ordered another paid since they've become my go-to pants.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Tiburon pants and love them. Like all Kuiu products, they are extremely comfortable. With the zips you can open them up and it really helps keep you cool while hiking. They are worth every penny.

BBob

WKR
I've worn Tiburon's since they were introduced. Counter to what others have said they are very durable and I still have my original pair. They've been drug through everything the S AZ desert has to offer and they are still going. I wear them everywhere year round and not just for hunting. Until the Kutana came out Kuiu used to bill the Tiburon as their most durable pant. I have Kutana's too. The more I wear both I still like the Tiburon best. They have a slightly looser fit and I just prefer that. More people seem to like the Kutana better though.

learl

Lil-Rokslider
Another Kutana/Tiburon fan here. I much prefer the Tiburons if it’ll be 70+ but have worn the Kutana’s from 75-20 and been reasonably comfortable, I do run pretty warm. If you’re after a true hot weather pant I’d go Tiburon hands down.

utley010

FNG
How do the Kutanas compare to the Attack pants? I don't trust my Attack pants brush busting, but the Axis pants I got for brush are quite loud and stiff.

Any comparisons between the Axis and Kutana? Also heard the Pro pant is an upgraded version of the Attack.

BBob

WKR
How do the Kutanas compare to the Attack pants?
For the most part the Attack's are too warm for me so I hardly wear them. Kutana's are much tougher. Even though they (Attack) are still basically fine it didn't take long here in the desert to make them ratty looking. Catclaw pulls them like crazy and I walk in it a lot. I pretty much only wear them in the winter on cold days when the sun isn't out and not much at all in the desert if I can avoid it. If I could go back and not buy the Attack I would be fine without them. I can base layer with Tiburon or Kutana and have same warmth as Attack and be more versatile with temp swings.

Here’s what I know based upon my experience in a variety of scenarios:

1) Tiburon (previous version): They are comfortable and handle high heat very well. But the material picks easily and anything with a point goes right through them; this includes mosquitos. Same issue with the previous version of the Tiburon shirt. Both look like Velcro after a couple of days of somewhat gentle use in the desert Southwest.
2) Kutana: They are comfortable, material does not pick easily, handles heat very well; no issues running them in AZ heat past 110*. But it is not the best choice for sustained cold, not the stretchiest which may cause climbing issues for some folks; never had this issue myself. These are my favorite pants that Kuiu makes. Have one pair with over 70 days in the field with tons of hard use and abuse; just now starting to show a bit of wear.
3) Attacks: They are comfortable as hell, nice to climb in, and are well suited to sustained colder/cooler temperatures. The material picks easily and is not well suited for warm to hot temperatures. One day into a desert sheep hunt and they looked like Velcro; first day wearing them. Will not buy any more Attacks for hunting.
4) Pro: Almost as comfortable as the Attacks, nice to climb in, well suited to colder/cooler temperatures, and the material is significantly less likely to pick as the Attacks but not as well as the Kutanas. Some folks don’t like knee pads and these also are not the best option for warm to hot temperatures. Remove the knee pads and they are what the Attacks should have been. Wore mine for 16 days hunting Dall sheep and grizzly bear with no signs of wear.
5) Talus: Well suited for colder/cooler temperatures, easily to climb in, and handles light-ish moisture and strong wind very well. Seems to be fairly resistant to picking; no signs of wear from my hunt on Kodiak. Not well suited to warm or hot temperatures nor tons of rain.

No experience with the Axis pants.

BBob

WKR
Since Tiburon's were mentioned. My oldest (khaki) and most worn are about 3.5-4yo. Still in good shape and who knows how many days down here in the pricky desert. Holes in the knees from countless days on the rock and no pants I wear for that have ever withstood tons of days on the rock without getting holes in the knees. My newest (darker color?) pair are about 2yo have seen lots of hunts this year and last. Many days on the rock as well. I am not nice to my pants and don't baby them in any way :)

Attachments

• 0856F63B-FC09-49C2-B55F-7AF4ECA84FC3.jpeg
    0856F63B-FC09-49C2-B55F-7AF4ECA84FC3.jpeg
    315.8 KB · Views: 23
  • A9E3D7AD-90E5-4155-998A-A25CCADF5394.jpeg
    A9E3D7AD-90E5-4155-998A-A25CCADF5394.jpeg
    482.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 6AE2F8E8-D307-4557-A55F-3678D61F5D08.jpeg
    6AE2F8E8-D307-4557-A55F-3678D61F5D08.jpeg
    454.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 03B51482-6630-4D47-96DC-7B1D95B2C180.jpeg
    03B51482-6630-4D47-96DC-7B1D95B2C180.jpeg
    265.7 KB · Views: 24
  • A78DF237-93EF-49FF-B03C-FF1FDBC3DE5B.jpeg
    A78DF237-93EF-49FF-B03C-FF1FDBC3DE5B.jpeg
    364.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 1A172E6E-E05C-4CAD-B3F3-06CEA2E9FBCF.jpeg
    1A172E6E-E05C-4CAD-B3F3-06CEA2E9FBCF.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Forsythe

FNG
I’m definitely interested in the kutanas after reading some of these reviews. I’ve had tiburons for about 5 years and they perform great in the warm to hot weather but like most said, are not great with abrasion. I still have yet to put a hole in attacks or tiburons after 5 years.