Kuiu Peloton 240 vs Sitka Heavyweight Hoody

ldrathman

WKR
Hey all, I've scoured the forums and couldn't find a thread comparing these two pieces head to head. I know they are both really well liked, and I'm in the market for a new mid layer as I take a new approach with my clothing system this year.

A bit of background: I run really really warm and many times have no issue hiking into the 20's with just a t-shirt if I'm working hard. Last year I ran a light merino base layer, sometimes a heavier merino hoodie (Black Ovis Keele) or QZ fleece, and then the Skre hardscrabble softshell over top. This year Id like to simplify (and lighten) my system by going with the same light merino base layer and then the Kuiu Chugach as my brush-busting rain/outer layer (if needed) and a FL Uncompahgre for sitting/glassing. That leaves the question...what mid layer?

From the research I've done, the Sitka heavyweight hoodie and the KUIU Peloton 240 seem like good options. Given I run so warm, I foresee being able to use both as outer layers if the weather isn't too cold/rainy but would also serve the purpose of an additional layer under the Chugach if needed. I like that they are both Synthetic to move moisture from the merino base layer and are both relatively lightweight (~15oz).

The pro's I see for the Peloton are its more wind resistance and maybe a bit more capable as an outer layer. I like that the heavyweight hoody comes in the dirt color, which I could wear around town casually (the peloton comes in a dark green but I have so many other clothes in the same color, I'd end up looking like a Christmas tree). From those who have experience with both am I missing anything? Is one noticeably warmer than the other? Is one noticeably more breathable?

Appreciate the help.

ChrisAU

WKR
In my experience the Sitka HW is considerably warmer than the Peloton 240. I've had both. Still have a Sitka HW as part of my normal rotation, but only wear it when stationary.

OP
L

ldrathman

WKR
In my experience the Sitka HW is considerably warmer than the Peloton 240. I've had both. Still have a Sitka HW as part of my normal rotation, but only wear it when stationary.
Thanks for the feedback. While being warmer do you still find the HW breathes well? Or does it heat you up and then hold in that heat?

ChrisAU

WKR
Thanks for the feedback. While being warmer do you still find the HW breathes well? Or does it heat you up and then hold in that heat?

I'd say it holds on to heat. Breathes about like a sweatshirt. The Peloton 240 breathes, but as someone who also runs hot, I found it to not do much of anything. Didn't really add anything when stationary or moving. Tried to make it work on two elk hunts since it is so lightweight but now I don't own one.

ChrisAU

WKR
To add, I use a Peloton 97 as my "its too cold for just a t-shirt but I'll sweat soak anything substantial" piece when moving. Love those. Incredible for the weight.

OP
L

ldrathman

WKR
To add, I use a Peloton 97 as my "its too cold for just a t-shirt but I'll sweat soak anything substantial" piece when moving. Love those. Incredible for the weight.
Good to know, that might be a potential option for what Im looking for. I know you mentioned you couldn't get the Peloton 240 to work with your Elk kit. What did you end up using in its place? The HW or the 97?

mlgc20

WKR
I will echo what Chris AU said. I have the Sitka Heavyweight and Kuiu Peloton 240. I use both, but the Sitka Heavyweight is definitely warmer. If I had to go with one, it would be the 240. Like you, I run hot. And the Heavyweight is just too hot for most applications if there is movement involved. In fact, IMO the 240 is almost too much if your moving. More than any piece I own, I wear the Sitke Core Lightweight Hoody. Paired with a shell, I can use it in most conditions down into the 40s.

Another thing to mention is sizing. I find the Heavyweight runs true to size, but I have to size up on the 240.

ChrisAU

WKR
Good to know, that might be a potential option for what Im looking for. I know you mentioned you couldn't get the Peloton 240 to work with your Elk kit. What did you end up using in its place? The HW or the 97?

The 97 took its place. If wind is an issue, on goes my rain shell. If I'm moving and I'm hot, wind is welcome.

OP
L

ldrathman

WKR
I will echo what Chris AU said. I have the Sitka Heavyweight and Kuiu Peloton 240. I use both, but the Sitka Heavyweight is definitely warmer. If I had to go with one, it would be the 240. Like you, I run hot. And the Heavyweight is just too hot for most applications if there is movement involved. In fact, IMO the 240 is almost too much if your moving. More than any piece I own, I wear the Sitke Core Lightweight Hoody. Paired with a shell, I can use it in most conditions down into the 40s.

Another thing to mention is sizing. I find the Heavyweight runs true to size, but I have to size up on the 240.
Thanks for the input! Sounding more and more like the HW is not what Im looking for, and even the 240 could be too warm. Do you wear the core LW next to skin, or would it fit over a base layer merino t shirt?

mlgc20

WKR
Thanks for the input! Sounding more and more like the HW is not what Im looking for, and even the 240 could be too warm. Do you wear the core LW next to skin, or would it fit over a base layer merino t shirt?
I always wear an Icebreaker merino base layer against the skin.

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
I love the amount of effort people put into deciding which overpriced hoody they should buy to run around outside hunting animals.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
L

ldrathman

WKR
I love the amount of effort people put into deciding which overpriced hoody they should buy to run around outside hunting animals.

When I'm stuck in the office not running around outside hunting animals, obsessing over gear is another favorite hobby of mine. No shame here.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Two different pieces in my experience. The peloton 200 would be a closer comparison. I hated the hood on the 240, loved it on the HW. The wind resistance made the 240 warmer imo. Honestly as nice as it is I found the HW about $40 over priced for what it is, a grid fleece hoodie. The 240 is also expensive but at least brings something to the table, a relatively quiet wind breaker.

Sure sounds like the peloton 97 is your piece. I use a short sleeve synthetic, 97 then 240 for most condition in montana from beginning of September through spring shed and bear season. Rain gear when needed and an axis jacket do anything I need other than stopping to eat or glass. Axis doesn’t get packed unless it’s really cold or wet or snowy.

OP
L

ldrathman

WKR
Sure sounds like the peloton 97 is your piece. I use a short sleeve synthetic, 97 then 240 for most condition in montana from beginning of September through spring shed and bear season. Rain gear when needed and an axis jacket do anything I need other than stopping to eat or glass. Axis doesn’t get packed unless it’s really cold or wet or snowy.

Agreed, thinking the 97 sounds like the ticket. I can always add layers if needed given its overall low profile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yard Candy

Lil-Rokslider
When I'm stuck in the office not running around outside hunting animals, obsessing over gear is another favorite hobby of mine. No shame here.
I do that EXACT same thing. All the time. I was just being an asshole.

I love my 240.

fishigan

FNG
My go to is the Kuiu Pro Merino 200. I own a good amount of elk hunting gear that is great for Colorado elk and worthless for anything else. But I have 3 PM 200's (1 hooded 2 without) that are great for spring, fall and winter. I use a merino base that is non hunt clothing branded and then the PM 200 over it. Great for elk bow season and pack a jacket for sitting if it gets too chilly. I also run this for the first rifle season and bow hunting in michigan. As far as Kuiu goes the PM 200 may be the one time they sell that is pretty true to size based on regular clothing. My favorite item made by any brand.

bump for any updated thought on those that have used both. already have a core heavyweight hoody, took advantage of the kuiu sale and picked up a peloton 240 thinking i would sell whichever one i dont like. honetly they dont really feel like apples to apples maybe im missing something. initial thoughts are advantage goes to sitka with its hood, softness, fit, and it feels a little lighter and more compact. kuiu has the full zip, wind abrasion resistance and pockets but I'm not completely enamored it . maybe i should have got the 200? wondering if anyones opinions ahve changed

Hondo

WKR
I have both and find the 240 more versatile due to the full zip, wind stopping ability and abrasion resistance even though the HW is warmer. I wear other midlayers (Peloton 200, Pro Merino 200, Fanatic, Apex, Klamath) more than either though.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
bump for any updated thought on those that have used both. already have a core heavyweight hoody, took advantage of the kuiu sale and picked up a peloton 240 thinking i would sell whichever one i dont like. honetly they dont really feel like apples to apples maybe im missing something. initial thoughts are advantage goes to sitka with its hood, softness, fit, and it feels a little lighter and more compact. kuiu has the full zip, wind abrasion resistance and pockets but I'm not completely enamored it . maybe i should have got the 200? wondering if anyones opinions ahve changed
I agree with you. I’d put the mountain jacket as a closer competitor to the 240. The hw hoody does have an excellent hood. The kuiu peloton 200 or 97 would be comparable to the Sitka hw, but there’s give and takes still.