Kuiu Peloton 97 and Strongfleece 260 vs. Grid Fleece

AndrewZ

FNG
Currently looking at upgrading my hunting gear and starting with the mid layer. I bow hunt elk in Saskatchewan so temps run from +30C (~85F) to freezing at night, and it can get windy. I'm moving all day with a pack, mostly through dense deciduous forest, albeit in relatively flat terrain since there isn't a mountain around here for 1000 miles, so no stopping to glass for long periods. I'm looking at a combo of Kuiu Peloton 97 and Strongfleece 260, thinking this should get me through all of September (with a merino base always and a light puffy at camp but not in my pack). I know people love the 240, but I don't like the full zip. I'm wondering if I can get away with picking up a grid fleece - first lite klamath/sitka heavyweight/stone glacier helio, and just run that with my baselayer instead of buying the 2 pieces from Kuiu. I'm worried that going to a Kuiu Peloton 200 will be too hot for most of the day, which is what appeals to me about the grid fleece, but wondering if the grid fleece may be too hot at times, or not warm enough in morning/evening, requiring me to have 2 pieces anyways.

Open to other suggestions/combos as well. This one just seemed to me to work the best in my situation and I thought the Kuiu Valo camo would be good in Sask. Not partial to brands but will likely build my upgraded camo around this.

j33

WKR
Last fall bowhunting Elk in Alberta I ran a shirt, Peloton 97 hoodie, Peloton 210 zip tee (no hood)

I only wore the 97 if it was real cold, 210 I wore nearly all day unless I was in my T shirt. It breathes surprisingly well, better than my 240 (which I sold as is too warm and doesn't breath well). I love the large pocket in the 210, allows me to hunt without a pack sometimes by tosssing a few light things in there.

So in summary go with the Strongfleece, it stops just enough wind and still breathes good enough yet has a little DWR for a quick shower and is tough enough to snag on bush/trees. For that type of hunting I personally don't know if you really need a peloton 97. For sheep hunting the 97 with a wind shirt is the best combo around, 97 will snag if you look at it wrong though.

i would go with the pro 200 in whatever version you want and the 210 both breath well and same as j33 i really like the pocket in the 210

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think two mid-layers (97 and 260) is the best solution. They'd be very tough to layer over each other imo and not the best bang for the weight.

I think a base layer, something along the lines of a mid to heavier grid fleece (I'd highly recommend a hood for this piece) and a sturdier windshirt would have you have covered.

Also I wouldn't leave the puffy at camp, doesn't weigh that much (or shouldn't), packs up small and in a pinch (unexpected night out or a big turn in the weather) could really save your bacon.

jd1006

WKR
Sitka Apex Hoody sounds like something you should look into. I’d go with a light merino underneath like Sitka’s q-zip merino. And then, i’d have a light puffy and rain jacket in my pack.

OP
A

AndrewZ

FNG
Sitka Apex Hoody sounds like something you should look into. I’d go with a light merino underneath like Sitka’s q-zip merino. And then, i’d have a light puffy and rain jacket in my pack.
How come the Apex over the Sitka Heavyweight?

The 97 is surprisingly warm, but after sept I switch to heavier fleece.

The 260 doesn’t breather very well to me when compared to any of the grid fleeces including stone glacier, Sitka heavy and franitic, mtnops, firstlite and Columbia.

OP
A

AndrewZ

FNG
I don't think two mid-layers (97 and 260) is the best solution. They'd be very tough to layer over each other imo and not the best bang for the weight.

I think a base layer, something along the lines of a mid to heavier grid fleece (I'd highly recommend a hood for this piece) and a sturdier windshirt would have you have covered.

Also I wouldn't leave the puffy at camp, doesn't weigh that much (or shouldn't), packs up small and in a pinch (unexpected night out or a big turn in the weather) could really save your bacon.
Good to know on the 2 layers!

I thought the idea with the strongfleece (and even the grid fleecesfor that matter) was that it did block some wind which is one of its appeals to me.

Do you have any recommendations for a wind shirt?

jd1006

WKR
For versatility…the apex is merino-based and will temperature regulate better than an all-synthetic baselayer and will control odor better. Also, the facemask built in and the kangaroo pouch are nice and help it serve well as an outerlayer and midlayer.

jd1006

WKR
if you go the wind-shirt route…its hard finding one in a color that’s good for hunting if its going to be an outerlayer. I use the black diamond alpine start, but its almost always under something. You might also want to look at the Sitka Flash Pullover. It’s a pretty versatile option.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
re: windshirts

the Alpine Start (Black Diamond) is a good one; I have a grey one that is pretty decent for hunting

also (if you can find one) Patagonia made a windshirt for the military that's good too.

both are a little heavier, but tougher than most of the uber ultralight ones- more suitable for hunting imo

j33

WKR
Don’t buy a windshirt for Elk hunting in the flats of Saskatchewan…. Buy a grid fleece or just get a Strongfleece 260 and be done with it.

I own the Black Diamond Alpine Start, great wind shirt for mountain hunting. This never comes with me chasing elk, it’s a bit too loud for me bow hunting. It’s also not durable enough for bashing through bush.

OP
A

AndrewZ

FNG
I really appreciate everyone's input! It sounds like I was way off with the warmth of the 97 and 260.

After reading the comments and doing some more research, I'm now thinking more along the lines of a long sleeve hooded merino base layer with the strongfleece 210. I think the durability and wind resistance of the strongfleece are going to get me where I need to be and give me the best flexibility to layer as needed and i still get a hood out of it without going to the more heavyweight 260.

Mcnasty

FNG
WRT to wind layer I really like the sitka mountain jacket. Gore Infinium is an incredible material, breathes very well IMO, is wind proof, reasonably lite, quite and quite water resistant as well. Before this I used a marmot wind shirt that I have had for many years (its a great piece but not super quiet or durable) I was not sure the wind layer would be worth the $ or the weight but I got a good deal on it and has turned out to be one of my most used pieces for hunting in CO the past 3 years. I typically wear a very thin Merino T-shirt (ice breaker etc), and then vary between light weight -heavy weigh hoody depending on conditions. Mtn jacket wind layer in the side pocket for wind/ light rain or added warmth.
WRT grid/mid layers, I have grid Hoodies from Sitka( heavyweight) and Patagonia (R1), the Sitka seems a bit more wind resistant (though not really) while the Patagonia is much more stretchy and comfortable, and IMO fit is everything in this base and mid layers especially in the hood where it can pull on your head and neck. The Patagonia just fits me better and also has a deeper chest zip which is better for dumping heat. Con is no camo and not a brand that supports hunting. I am considering trying the kalamath to see if fit is better then the sitka for me. That said the grid fleece pieces, only come out later season and would typically replace the light weight layer vs doubling up and getting binding with all the layers. you may also check out a product called tech face. I have not used its grid on one side and more of a Shel on the face, supposed to reach that middle ground between a mid and wind layer. I always have a merino hat in my pocket which is an easy way to regulate heat if you miss judge the temp a bit in addition to the hoody and can be added removed without stopping.