Kuiu Peloton 97 vs FL Kiln 250 Hoodies

ChrisAU

WKR
Got a Peloton 97 hoodie on a whim and I'm surprised by how warm it is, or seems to be. Currently planning on taking my FL Kiln 250 hoody for my mid layer for an early October elk hunt this fall, but this Kuiu piece is right at a half pound lighter, which is substantial. Now, the heat index here is 107 today so I don't see myself being able to evaluate them myself, has anyone used both of these pieces in 20-30* weather over a light merino base and can offer comparison?

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Basically I'm considering two setups for upper warmth, 1st rifle CO, 9k-11k feet:

FL Wick 150 LS QZ (worn in)
FL Kiln 250 Hoodie
SG Grumman Puffy
Sitka Vapor Rain Jacket
40.9 oz

OR

FL Wick 150 SS (worn in)
FL Wick 150 LS QZ
Kuiu Peloton 97 Hoodie
SG Grumman Puffy
Sitka Vapor Rain Jacket
38.6 oz

I'm thinking the lighter setup may be more versatile and warmer, to go along with lighter?

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I don’t have experience with the peloton 200 or 97 but do have the 240 and strong fleece 260 and they both weigh less than kiln 250 and will be way warmer, also wind resistant. I like FL and wear their base layers, but found their mid/heavy weight merino as a mid layer weighs way to much and doesn’t add that much warmth. Also not a fan of their fleece for the warmth/weight ratio.
I’d go with the peloton of any variety, even the warmest/heaviest is still lighter than kiln.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
I don’t have experience with the peloton 200 or 97 but do have the 240 and strong fleece 260 and they both weigh less than kiln 250 and will be way warmer, also wind resistant. I like FL and wear their base layers, but found their mid/heavy weight merino as a mid layer weighs way to much and doesn’t add that much warmth. Also not a fan of their fleece for the warmth/weight ratio.
I’d go with the peloton of any variety, even the warmest/heaviest is still lighter than kiln.

Side by side Kiln vs Peloton 97 the Peloton feels loftier and of comparable thickness, which surprised me. I need to find a walk-in freezer around here to test them lol

K_pem

WKR
I've owned both but not used both at the same time, if that makes sense. I'd venture to say the Peloton 97 is equally as warm as the Kiln.

I ran the Kiln all last season (over a SS Aerowool) as my mid layer until it got really cold, then i went to the Sawtooth. I wasn't unhappy with it by any means but when I got my hands on the Peloton 97, at a third of the weight, it seemed like a no brainer, so I'm with Turkey in that the Kiln isn't warm enough to justify its weight. Also the Peloton series will dry a lot faster than the Kiln, I sweated that Kiln out big time last year and it took forever to dry. This year I'm switching to the 97 as my go to mid layer over an Aerowool SS or later in the season a QZ Aerowool.

However bringing an additional QZ or T seems redundant to me and kind of defeats the purpose of saving weight with the 97 for little warmth advantage, I would pick one or the other.

I also added in the Kutana 3dfx jacket this year figuring that the weight difference over just the Kiln alone is negligible at only 3.6oz heavier (15oz for kiln, 18.6 for 97 plus Kutana) and adds MUCH more room for flexibility. Maybe consider the 200 for that time of year if you run more on the cold side, but for me the 97 is going to be a for sure go to in my pack until the cold really sets in and then im considering getting the 200.

K_pem

WKR
For that matter also, if you absolutely wanted to have the extra layer, the weight of the QZ and the Kiln being 24oz you could go 97 QZ/hoodie with a 240 hooded or hoodless and still be substantially lighter with way more warmth/versatility.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Thanks @K_pem ! I have a 200 hoodie on the way to test out. I'm pretty set on my S/S Wick 150 as my next to skin layer, I do run hot. Last year down into the 30's I hiked with just it on a lot. Makes me think that I'd be just fine with bringing only the 97 as a mid layer if I am chilled, and I have my Stone Glacier Grumman if I am stationary and get really cold. But being 2 months away and not on the mountain of course I'm erring to the side of safety. Would be nice to just run the Wick S/S, 97 Hoodie, Puffy, and rain jacket and thats it for weight.

K_pem

WKR
Same, I'm almost always in a SS if I know I'm going to be working hard. I think the 200 will be a go to as the temps drop!

That's virtually identical to my setup for early season archery. Except i always bring a Windstopper layer with me, for early season its my Sitka Mountain vest and I may or may not be packing around the Kutana in place of a puffy depending on temps, but ill always keep a puffy in the truck or quad.

Looking at getting that SG puffy as a matter of fact!

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Same, I'm almost always in a SS if I know I'm going to be working hard. I think the 200 will be a go to as the temps drop!

That's virtually identical to my setup for early season archery. Except i always bring a Windstopper layer with me, for early season its my Sitka Mountain vest and I may or may not be packing around the Kutana in place of a puffy depending on temps, but ill always keep a puffy in the truck or quad.

Looking at getting that SG puffy as a matter of fact!

That SG puffy has ended my puffy search...my XL is 12.8 oz and is a substantial jacket.

I may run 97 hoodie and a 240 vest or full zip, I have both. Decisions decisions.

K_pem

WKR
The 240 vest would be a nice addition i would think, even if you brought the 97 and the 200, I plan to use my 97 for after the ascent when my Aerowool SS is soaked with sweat, till it dries out. PLUS you'd probably still be lighter with all 3 of those things in comparison to the Kiln and QZ combo haha.

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
I wear a First Lite baselayer and then the Peloton 97 over that. As an outer layer I will wear either a vest or a shell and that gets me comfortably down to the 40s in a tree stand. The 97 is probably my most versatile piece and very warm fo the weight

I’m 6’3” about 220 - would I need a XL or XXL in the Peloton? I wear a XL in FL and it fits me well - thanks
I’m 6’3” 205. I bought an XL Peloton 200 and it fits me snug but definitely doable. I guess it depends on how you like your clothes to fit, loose or snug. Everything else I have from Kuiu is XXL.

I’m 6’3” 205. I bought an XL Peloton 200 and it fits me snug but definitely doable. I guess it depends on how you like your clothes to fit, loose or snug. Everything else I have from Kuiu is XXL.

The Peloton 200 has a strange fit I thought. Very different from the 240 or 97. I wear L Ss wick 150 and I like XL kuiu 97 and 240. The size L first lite SS is tighter fitting but the XL was giant

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
The Peloton 200 has a strange fit I thought. Very different from the 240 or 97. I wear L Ss wick 150 and I like XL kuiu 97 and 240. The size L first lite SS is tighter fitting but the XL was giant

So the Large Peloton 200 fit you well?

So the Large Peloton 200 fit you well?

It wasn’t worth exchanging sizes for me. I had an XL and it was so bulky I didn’t like shirt. I’ve tried on a L and felt it was still big especially around the waist. Just a very boxy square fit compared to the 240 and 97

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
It wasn’t worth exchanging sizes for me. I had an XL and it was so bulky I didn’t like shirt. I’ve tried on a L and felt it was still big especially around the waist. Just a very boxy square fit compared to the 240 and 97

I gotcha, yeah I definitely noticed that on the 200 vs the 97 both in XL, the 200 also seemed to have much longer sleeves. Sent it back today for a large to try.

three5x5s

WKR
At 5 ft 4 #135 I get the medium Kuiu and it runs just a smidge big, so should I lean more toward the 97 & 240, I dont want the boxi fit at all. I also run cold so thinking the 240 over merino.