Kuiu Peloton 97

BigTex87

FNG
Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. I really appreciate all the info I've gained here over the years and have a question for y'all.

I've been on a few high country mule deer bowhunts and my layering system has looked like:

- Kuiu 145 zipT
- Kuiu peloton 200 hoody
- Kuiu superdown hoody
- Arcteryx rain jacket

While this system has worked well for the most part, I've run into two issues:

- The peloton 200 is the heaviest item of clothing I'm bringing and while I've enjoyed using it, I feel like it's a little unnecessary due to the superdown hoody. It looks like I could save almost half a pound switching to the peloton 97.
- I'm liking the idea of a sun hoody to keep the sun off my ears and neck in the high country. In 2018 I tried using a merino neck gaiter. While it worked fine, I think I would be better served with a sun hoody of some type. I would try to wear the peloton 200 hoody for as long as I could put found it a little too warm.

I know the peloton 97 is a lightweight fleece, but do y'all believe this layer could serve dual purpose as both a mid weight layer and a sun hoody without getting too hot and also providing some warmth? I'm not looking to go on long hikes with this as a sun hoody, but for general use, hiking ridgelines, going on stalks, glassing, etc. Looking to hear from those that have used this piece. What temperature ranges have you found it most effective in? Also, if I'm going to use this as a sun hoodie, I'm also thinking about switching to the kuiu 125 merino short sleeve t.

As a side note, I've looked into the sitka core lightweight hoody and while it looks great, I'm looking at getting something to replace my peloton 200 and the sitka lightweight hoody seems like it's a little too thin and I'm trying to stick with kuiu for everything.

Thanks for all the help!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, the 97 hoodie can be dual purpose to a point. Having owned the sitka as well it is a less warm piece than the 97, better suited for sun and hot. The 97 shines when it’s mild to warm but that high altitude sun mandates coverage. The 97 has a more useable temperature range for me vs the core. During September I needed a layer under the sitka way more often than the 97. That’s not really a bad thing, I just wanted to simplify my layers so I stayed with the 97.

The 97 vs 200 is really a personal choice based on conditions. The 200 is a bit warmer, more durable and stops some wind. The 97 can be worn in higher temperatures, dries crazy fast, breaths better.

I also bought the 97 neck gaiter which I like better than the merino.

I don't wear my 97 in the same conditions but it serves a purpose for me. Typically my layers before the 97 were a first lite wick 150 ss shirt then a peloton 240 then if I needed it puffy or rain jacket. Problem is there is a temp in there that is too cold for short sleeve or long sleeve merino unless you double up and its too hot for the 240. So I envisioned the 97 filling that role and so far it has really well in addition to providing additional warmth under my 240 later in the season when its not cold enough or I'm too active for a layer over the 240 but I need more warmth than a long sleeve merino and the 240. The 97 is not very pick or pull resistant but it is incredibly light in weight while being surprisingly warm but breathes well and with the deep zip and sleeves I can pull up covers all temp ranges for me well.

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with said above. Super light & warm for what it is & dries super quick. Only knock is it is a bit delicate. I personally love the piece for warm weather coverage or a layering piece later in the season.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ll also say it’s been one of the best moisture management shirts I’ve owned. Agree with the above about not being pick resistant and still no solid colors available are my gripes. Also unlike some brands the hood doesn’t zip up over my chin so I bought the neck gaiter for some face coverage. That irritated me at first but I found the neck gaiter to be extremely versatile overall (especially in the gunmetal color). One thing I like over the merino gaiter is how much quicker it dries. Sure merino holds some heat when wet but during extreme cold I really appreciate the dry fabric against my face.

Jaspe

FNG
Planning a rifle elk hunt for the first week in November in the Flattops - near Gypsum Colorado. I am planning to use merino 210 base top with Peloton 200 mid layer and a Kenai jacket. This will be a base camp hunt using horses, with no planned overnight away from camp. I have Wooltimate jacket for insulation and a Yukon rain Jacket. Do I need to purchase the 200 or would existing Patagonia fleece serve the purpose? Any feedback on the Kenai - understand it has been changed ? First elk hunt - appreciate any feedback.

OP
B

BigTex87

FNG
Yes, the 97 hoodie can be dual purpose to a point. Having owned the sitka as well it is a less warm piece than the 97, better suited for sun and hot. The 97 shines when it’s mild to warm but that high altitude sun mandates coverage. The 97 has a more useable temperature range for me vs the core. During September I needed a layer under the sitka way more often than the 97. That’s not really a bad thing, I just wanted to simplify my layers so I stayed with the 97.

Thanks this is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Sounds like a great, versatile piece of gear.

OP
B

BigTex87

FNG
I don't wear my 97 in the same conditions but it serves a purpose for me. Typically my layers before the 97 were a first lite wick 150 ss shirt then a peloton 240 then if I needed it puffy or rain jacket. Problem is there is a temp in there that is too cold for short sleeve or long sleeve merino unless you double up and its too hot for the 240. So I envisioned the 97 filling that role and so far it has really well in addition to providing additional warmth under my 240 later in the season when its not cold enough or I'm too active for a layer over the 240 but I need more warmth than a long sleeve merino and the 240. The 97 is not very pick or pull resistant but it is incredibly light in weight while being surprisingly warm but breathes well and with the deep zip and sleeves I can pull up covers all temp ranges for me well.

What are the conditions you wear the 97? Are you talking more late season? I have a peloton 240 vest that I really like just from trying it on and wearing around the house, haven't hunted or hiked in it yet. Seems like I could add that to my kit if it will be colder, although it will negate the weight savings of the 97 over the 200, it might make my kit more versatile. The time of year I'm talking about is mid August to mid September at 9 or 10k+ in elevation.

OP
B

BigTex87

FNG
I agree with said above. Super light & warm for what it is & dries super quick. Only knock is it is a bit delicate. I personally love the piece for warm weather coverage or a layering piece later in the season.

Awesome. Just to clarify you get use out of it as a sun hoody in warm weather?

OP
B

BigTex87

FNG
There is a 145 hoody out now if you want something for sun protection. The 145 and 97 combo is pretty darn versatile, imo.

Thanks, I've looked at this piece. Another issue I haven't mentioned is the dry times of my baselayers. I get the 145 pretty soaked after a long hike (I sweat like a pig) and was looking to switch to a lightweight short sleeve baselayer for the long hikes in. I'm looking at the 125 merino or the peloton 118. I know synthetics dry faster, but the merino doesn't have the stink. I'm also looking at getting the black ovis 50/50 polyester/merino ss t shirt, hoping it will be the best of both worlds. I like the look of the kodiak color they have. Seems like it would fit well with the kuiu I have.

I did think about wearing the short sleeve shirt for the hike in and packing the 145 hoodie and wearing it when I'm actually hunting, but I'm trying to keep my kit as light as possible.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used the zipT and hoodie together for ice fishing, cold but lots of sun reflecting off the snow. When in and out of shady timber when the sun burns but chilly in the shadows.

The sitka core would be better in a desert environment when durability is a priority and warmth isn’t. Honestly depending on where you hunt throughout the year I can see owning both. The 97 just fits the bill better for a high country mule deer hunt.

Fonkie

Lil-Rokslider
To a degree in warm weather. In extreme warm weather it could be a bit warm but I wore it in a September muley hunt in warm afternoons & it was great.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Would the 97 work in august highcountry hunt where high temps could reach 80 degrees?

That’s pushing it. Little to no activity, a brief spike to 80 your alright. 70-80 for hours with sun exposure would cook me in that.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Planning a rifle elk hunt for the first week in November in the Flattops - near Gypsum Colorado. I am planning to use merino 210 base top with Peloton 200 mid layer and a Kenai jacket. This will be a base camp hunt using horses, with no planned overnight away from camp. I have Wooltimate jacket for insulation and a Yukon rain Jacket. Do I need to purchase the 200 or would existing Patagonia fleece serve the purpose? Any feedback on the Kenai - understand it has been changed ? First elk hunt - appreciate any feedback.

Do ya have the new ultra or original kenai?

Your other fleece is probably fine if it’s of similar weight.

I don’t really know what the wooltimate is other than a Cabelas line. Like a heavy lined soft shell?

Would be beneficial / get more insight to start a new thread about your entire set up. Gloves, headwear, pants etc.

Jaspe

FNG
Thanks for the feedback: I do not have Kenai but plan to purchase. (would be the ultra)
My set up:
Cabela E.C.W.C.S. synthetic base layers (light weight and mid weight sets)
Cabela E.C.W.C.S. Heavy top
Kuiu Merino 210 Base/mid layer
Patagonia 1/4 zip pull over mid layer (Considering Peloton 200)
Kenai ( Planning to use as active insulation)
Wooltimate Jacket - Heavy insulation
Yukon Rain Jacket
Pants are Kuiu Guide Pants
Full zip insulation pants Pnuma
Kuiu Rain pants
Stormy Kromer hat
Beanie
Merino 145 neck gaiter
Kuiu gloves : Ultra Merino 210 , Yukon Pro
Boots Meindels uninsulated , Muck boots as back up
Have Yukon gaiters
Blaze orange vest (Hats are also orange color )
Also considering a set of mittens for glassing (Super Down Pro)

Any additional thoughts are appreciated.

OP
B

BigTex87

FNG
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm set on getting the peloton 97 hoodie. Now I'm looking at purchasing a Merino 125 shirt. Should I get long sleeve or short sleeve? Seems like a short sleeve would work best if I'm wanting to spend most of my time with the 97 hoodie on. How durable is the 125?

Thanks for the feedback: I do not have Kenai but plan to purchase. (would be the ultra)
My set up:
Cabela E.C.W.C.S. synthetic base layers (light weight and mid weight sets)
Cabela E.C.W.C.S. Heavy top
Kuiu Merino 210 Base/mid layer
Patagonia 1/4 zip pull over mid layer (Considering Peloton 200)
Kenai ( Planning to use as active insulation)
Wooltimate Jacket - Heavy insulation
Yukon Rain Jacket
Pants are Kuiu Guide Pants
Full zip insulation pants Pnuma
Kuiu Rain pants
Stormy Kromer hat
Beanie
Merino 145 neck gaiter
Kuiu gloves : Ultra Merino 210 , Yukon Pro
Boots Meindels uninsulated , Muck boots as back up
Have Yukon gaiters
Blaze orange vest (Hats are also orange color )
Also considering a set of mittens for glassing (Super Down Pro)

Any additional thoughts are appreciated.

Sounds like you might want to start a new thread since this is a little different from what the OP is asking. He’s asking about early season whereas sounds like you’re looking at late season....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another thumbs up for the peloton 97. I wore it hanging trail cams in the 60-70 temp range and was fine. I wasn’t hiking too steep of country though. That’s the extent of my experience so far and I felt like it performed better than I expected.

Don’t know much about the merino 125 sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk