Kuiu Pro 3600 vs. MR Metcalf vs. Exo K3 4800

TygerJ

FNG
Have gone down a rabbit hole this past week trying to read up as much as possible in regards to these three options for a new do-it-all pack system. Would love some of y’all to weigh in; the good and the bad. Help me get educated; especially if you’ve had experience with any or multiple of these.

Use: Colorado Mountain hunting. Everything for archery elk/deer to later rifle elk/deer, antelope, turkey, etc. Need something that can do it all. Compress to daypack mode but can easily haul meat or camp gear as well.

Of these three options, what’s the best option?

Kuiu Pro 3600: Pro series. Supposedly best Kuiu belt and suspension design to date. Still very lightweight. Modularity with many different bag sizes. Although somewhat of a big jump from 3600 to 6000 size. Wish they had a pro series pack in between; around 4800. Have concern about hauling capability. ~$500 (3600 kit). 4lbs+8oz.

MR Metcalf: 2020 Guide Lite MT frame design. Slightly heavier than Kuiu system and Exo K3 4800. Have heard and read it’s great and that they’re bombproof, but maybe underwhelming in lack of integrated pockets and a little busy with straps. MR also has been limited on bag-only options to supplement/tailor pack needs to each hunt. ~$500. 5lbs+11oz.

Exo K3 4800: Most expensive, but have heard great things. Buddy has one and loves it. But is it really worth the premium price over other options? ~$650. 5lbs+6oz.

I’m not biased towards or away from any of these three options. Not really interested in SG nor Kifaru.

Thanks y’all.

Last edited:

hikenhunt

WKR
I've only worn one of those packs you've named, but I think any of them could serve you well in terms of functionality. In terms of fit and comfort, your best bet is to try them on and see how they fit on you before you buy. Next best would be to buy one, two, or all three and see how they fit, then send back what doesn't fit as well.

In all honesty you should really try them if you can or purchase them all and return the ones that don’t work. I’ve been through it and metcalf fits the best for me. Fit overrides all when you’re 5 miles form the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
TygerJ

TygerJ

FNG
Aside from try-on and assess feel, is there anything objective about any of these bags that might be good to know?

Like are the Kuiu Pro Packs not of the same caliber as the others, given their lighter weight design? Leading to durability or hauling issues, etc?

Same type of insights on the MR Metcalf and K3 4800...

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my Metcalf. Sure it’s a little heavier but your straps issue is a bonus in my mind, they’re good for securing loads exactly how you want them or making the bag really small, or for lashing on external loads. In terms of bag only options, I was able to pick up a Mule and its a great day hunting bag for black bears. Never dealt with Exo but I used an old Icon Pro and it was top notch quality, though I’ll stick with my metcalf.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Like stated prior, they will all work great I am sure, I have an echo and used a buddies Kuiu. Look at the pocket layout and zipper layout because that is where you will likely find out which style you would like best. Good luck

I love my Metcalf but do think the straps are a little busy. Can really come in handy in some situations but can be a little annoying in others. Overall though great pack

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

All are great. I echo the sentiment above. I have a MR metcalf and love it. I havent used the new KUIU setup but did have a KUIU pack a few years back that was pretty uncomfortable with over 30lbs in it. The metcalf is also about as bombproof as they come. It will survive the apocalypse

Last edited:
Been a Kuiu pack owner for the past few years and wore out an icon pro suspension. Kuiu has since sent my a new pro suspension under warranty and I have picked up a pro 7900 to accompany my ultra 2200 and 4000. You can run the 6000 lidless and the main bag is 5200ci (800ci lid). The 7800 has a 1000ci lid and a 6800ci main bag.

I do agree with you a 4000ci bag would be the ticket with a pro at least for me opposed to the 3600. I managed to pack 5 days worth of kit in my ultra 4000 this past year. I bet if I absolutely had to I could have got 7 but that’s me being an ultralight snob in a specific area.

Comparing the two pack series the pros are definitely burley and in my opinion over built with the thicker fabric. Do I have quality concerns with the pro series, no. I think it’s an improvement to the series suspension wise with overbuilt bags.

eoperator

WKR
I had all 3 packs listed in op, last year ended up keeping the exo 4800. Guide lite mt would be my choice if on a budget.

Exo and Mystery Ranch users (I’m EXO) seem to like their packs with high degree of consistency.

Kuiu seems to have a very love hate binary following. I have seen more hate thrown on their packs than all the other major brands combined. Now, that might be unfounded, groupthink, user error, etc., but it is a risk. And it is a risk that the other brands don’t have. That’s what ultimately steered me away...that and I found the very last $399 K2 3500 close out lol. MR Terraframe 80 was my second choice.

Exo and Mystery Ranch users (I’m EXO) seem to like their packs with high degree of consistency.

Kuiu seems to have a very love hate binary following. I have seen more hate thrown on their packs than all the other major brands combined. Now, that might be unfounded, groupthink, user error, etc., but it is a risk. And it is a risk that the other brands don’t have. That’s what ultimately steered me away...that and I found the very last $399 K2 3500 close out lol. MR Terraframe 80 was my second choice.

I agree...I've been researching backs using multiple forums and facebook pages going back 8 years. KUIU has the most hate thrown at it...but that tide seemed to change with the advent of their most recent harness. Sadly that only gives a year of data to back it up. What really stuck out to me though, was there was alot of people who had really ran down KUIU on the old harnesses...but some of those same people, after using their new harness, has said they've fixed their comfort issue. Which seems to be belt and lumbar comfort. I took the gamble and just ordered a full 3600 system last week to play with this year. I plan to throw some weight on it first thing and throw into service. Should it leave me still wanting, I'll probably go right to Kifaru or Stone Glacier.

eoperator

WKR
I bought a new kuiu 3600 last fall I wanted it to work but others fit me better. My wife on the other hand sold her MR and kept the kuiu and loves it. As stated above having 3 or4 packs sitting side by side to try is the way to go.

snel6424

FNG
Have you gotten a chance to mess with the pro lt suspension system?
I agree...I've been researching backs using multiple forums and facebook pages going back 8 years. KUIU has the most hate thrown at it...but that tide seemed to change with the advent of their most recent harness. Sadly that only gives a year of data to back it up. What really stuck out to me though, was there was alot of people who had really ran down KUIU on the old harnesses...but some of those same people, after using their new harness, has said they've fixed their comfort issue. Which seems to be belt and lumbar comfort. I took the gamble and just ordered a full 3600 system last week to play with this year. I plan to throw some weight on it first thing and throw into service. Should it leave me still wanting, I'll probably go right to Kifaru or Stone Glacier.

J5Hunt

FNG
^^^^^ also curious to know this answer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ran the old Kuiu suspension and the new pro pretty extensively over a few years

new suspension is leaps and bounds of where it was. Where I ran into issues was load lifting capability due to the frame flexing. I’m also a really tall guy with a 24” torso. Mainly ran into issues in the 70-80lb range but it was enough for me to say forget it and order a custom kifaru system more tailored to my body type. There are limits with everything and for my body type it was the point that made me want to change.

It's my understanding that the LT is just the bag...and the suspension system has not changed from their latest iteration, which I've been currently running and has been out since early 2019.
Have you gotten a chance to mess with the pro lt suspension system?