Kuiu Pro 6000 or Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80?

I am looking to purchase a new pack. Doing backpack hunting up to 6 days, mainly elk and mule deer. I am going back and forth on whether to buy the new kuiu Pro 6000 and pro suspension or the Mystery Ranch Beartooth 80. Has anyone tried these packs? I'm here for suggestions, so please fire away. Also open to suggestions on other packs. Thanks

Occasionally a fella can find a Mystery Ranch on sale on gohunt. I've abused my Metcalf and absolutely love it!

If you want a backpack buy a backpack from a backpack company. If you want your pack to match your “outfit” buy the kuiu.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ouch.

No experience with Kuiu packs. I have been using Dana Designs and Mystery Ranch packs since 1996 though. I really like my beartooth so far. Probably their most elegantly executed big hauler to date. New frame feels pretty good with a load too.

OP
RockyMountainThunder
I am definitely not concerned with matching a pack to an "outfit". I'm out to buy a quality pack that is gonna last, that's why I'm on here asking. What I liked about the kuiu is the modularity. All the new stuff that I've seen from MR is that you can't switch bags on the frames anymore, you have to buy a whole new pack with the frame and suspension. Anyone know any different?

MR is in transition between frame generations - guide light going to guide light mt. Currently the older packs WILL work with the new frame but you need about $10 worth of new buckles that you can buy from MR or other suppliers that slip onto the old pack. Not sure how to make the new pack work on an older frame but I imagine it could be done.

MR are also not the best about selling bag only options unlike most of the other players at that level of the industry (kifaru, kuiu, stone glacier) and I have never heard a great explanation as to why. Simple fact is that it is their business decision and one that IMO is deserving of criticism.

You can buy bags from MR, but only certain items. They have whispered about expanding this selection for years but I haven’t seen it happen. You can also buy bags from private sellers, but it it is hit or miss.

Again I don’t have any kuiu pack experience and am a self-professed MR fanboy. So taking onboard that caveat, if I was looking to drop $$$ on a pack that I was going to keep for a long time, I would tilt towards MR based on track record alone. If you have concerns about the beartooth being a newer design then go with a Metcalf, the most popular and versatile hunting pack that MR produces.

I am definitely not concerned with matching a pack to an "outfit". I'm out to buy a quality pack that is gonna last, that's why I'm on here asking. What I liked about the kuiu is the modularity. All the new stuff that I've seen from MR is that you can't switch bags on the frames anymore, you have to buy a whole new pack with the frame and suspension. Anyone know any different?

Haha. That was more of a dig at a friend that I know will see this rather than any pack advice. I do however happen to own the beartooth 80 and it is all I could ever want. This is my 3rd MR hunting pack and it’s like they listened to every complaint about the previous generations and addressed them. The 270° zipper is nice. You can top load, side load, or completely unzip and its like a duffel bag. The new overload system makes it way easier to enter/exit overload mode. The more I use it the more I find little improvements that make life a little easier. I have about 15 days of field use so far with weights ranging from 30-50lbs and I have yet to have any issues. Packing heavy, I have only done around the house but the frame, just as in previous incarnations, handles weight beautifully. My one complaint is that there is almost too many compression straps but when you need them they are there with the added benefit of a large backpacking pack that compressed down to a manageable daypack size.

Sorry slinger

Lil-Rokslider
What do you like or dislike about the kuiu packs?
I like that one frame and suspension that fits me can have many different bags and variations attached, I like how it handles the load, I like that it is light so I can carry about 5-6 pounds worth of gear and weigh the same or less than my buddy with the same size pack.

WYLight

FNG
You will find quite a lot of complaints on Kuiu packs throughout Rokslide. I would go with a Mystery Ranch. If Kuiu and Mystery Ranch is your price range, I’d definitely take a look a Seek Outside’s packs. The bags are interchangeable and they can haul loads comfortably.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn’t take the kuiu complaints too seriously. Most of them are about older generation frames. The new pro stuff is pretty new so let’s give it at least through this season before writing it off, it looks like a nice improvement.

I have owned the MR Metcalf, not the Beartooth 80 (wasn't out when I purchased the MR) and the older Kuiu Icon Pro and as well as the newer Kuiu Pro backpacks. Actually just got the new Kuiu Pro in today. I bought the MR Metcalf first before the Kuiu bags. The MR is very well built and extremely comfortable to wear with a load. The material is durable and a heavier weight fabric than the Kuiu. Zippers are great as well as the number of appropriately placed compression straps. Back in the day Dana Design was the go to backpacking bag to have so they definitely have some tried and true experience behind them. Reason I sold it was, lack of pockets. I like pockets. Not a big fan of unzipping and rifling through my pack to find stuff that has to be put in more bags to keep it organized. The weight, it is not what I would consider a lightweight pack. I absolutely hated the hip belt pockets. Just slid all over the place. Hard to get stuff in and out of. MR fit well, but I am giving up around 2lbs extra to the pack compared to my Kuiu.

I went with Kuiu because it was very a light pack, had lots of pockets, and had interchangeable bags. I was skeptical at first, simply because they are relatively new to the game. That's why I bought the MR first. I currently run the 3600 (previously 3200) and the 7600 (previously the 7200). I never had any issues with the old Kuiu Icon Pro that I recently sold. It carried loads well, lots of pockets for storage, was well designed. I upgraded to the new Pro for the new suspension/waistbelt and the newer exterior pocket designs on the bag. Its a great improvement over the last one from simply trying it on but won't reach a final verdict till it has been put through the test and worn under load.

Only other two I have considered are Kifaru, and Stone Glacier. I won't speak to them as I haven't owned them. I have seen and tried both on in person and would probably lean more towards Stone Glacier personally. All are great packs, just depends on what your want.

I have two Osprey backpacks and have used my Aether 85 as a meat hauler before. Best backpack brand currently made IMO, even though they don't have a dedicated "hunting line". Maybe they should though. Not sure if I helped much but it isn't a bad idea if you buy them both, test them out and then return the one you don't like. Good luck

Last edited:

EmperorMA

WKR
I have owned the MR Metcalf, not the Beartooth 80 (wasn't out when I purchased the MR) and the older Kuiu Icon Pro and as well as the newer Kuiu Pro backpacks. Actually just got the new Kuiu Pro in today. I bought the MR Metcalf first before the Kuiu bags. The MR is very well built and extremely comfortable to wear with a load. The material is durable and a heavier weight fabric than the Kuiu. Zippers are great as well as the number of appropriately placed compression straps. Back in the day Dana Design was the go to backpacking bag to have so they definitely have some tried and true experience behind them. Reason I sold it was, lack of pockets. I like pockets. Not a big fan of unzipping and rifling through my pack to find stuff that has to be put in more bags to keep it organized. The weight, it is not what I would consider a lightweight pack. I absolutely hated the hip belt pockets. Just slid all over the place. Hard to get stuff in and out of. MR fit well, but I am giving up around 3lbs extra to the pack compared to my Kuiu.

I went with Kuiu because it was very a light pack, had lots of pockets, and had interchangeable bags. I was skeptical at first, simply because they are relatively new to the game. That's why I bought the MR first. I currently run the 3600 (previously 3200) and the 7600 (previously the 7200). I never had any issues with the old Kuiu Icon Pro that I recently sold. It carried loads well, lots of pockets for storage, was well designed. I upgraded to the new Pro for the new suspension/waistbelt and the newer exterior pocket designs on the bag. Its a great improvement over the last one from simply trying it on but won't reach a final verdict till it has been put through the test and worn under load.

Only other two I have considered are Kifaru, and Stone Glacier. I won't speak to them as I haven't owned them. I have seen and tried both on in person and would probably lean more towards Stone Glacier personally. All are great packs, just depends on what your want.

I have two Osprey backpacks and have used my Aether 85 as a meat hauler before. Best backpack brand currently made IMO, even though they don't have a dedicated "hunting line". Maybe they should though. Not sure if I helped much but it isn't a bad idea if you buy them both, test them out and then return the one you don't like. Good luck
Can you please help me understand how your new Kuiu Pro of near equal capacity weighs 3 pounds less than a Mystery Ranch Beartooth? I have them weighed on a certified scale within 5 oz of each other.

Remember I am owned the Metcalf and the 3200 originally. I am not referring the Beartooth and the 6000 when it comes to weight. The old Kuiu Icon Pro weighed in at 4lbs 6 oz. I can’t find a spec on the older (non-Mtn light frame ) Metcalf that I had but the current one is 6.1lbs. I am thinking the older version was around 6.7- 7lbs. Maybe not 3 lbs exactly but definitely two pounds. I’ll try and correct my post to not mis-inform.

Weights currently for the Beartooth 80 are 6.1lbs & the Kuiu Pro 6000 is 5lbs, 13 ounces. So yes, a mere 4-5 ounces difference.

Last edited:

Will_m

WKR
If you want a backpack buy a backpack from a backpack company. If you want your pack to match your “outfit” buy the kuiu.

Neil Degrasse Tyson We Got A Badass Over Here GIF

ChrisAU

WKR
My Kuiu Pro (new one) with Ultra 5500 bag and tall frame is 4lbs 3 oz without the lid, on my scales. 4 lbs 7.5 oz with the lid. In limited training hikes with it so far it is extremely comfortable with a total weight of around 55 lbs. I had the other K brand, which I adored, and sold it after I could find no difference in comfort with the same loads, combined with the facts that I could clear a few hundred bucks by swapping to the new Pro/Ultra setup and drop 3-4 lbs from my pack weight.

My pack aboslutely won't match my outfit btw...I'll have Vias, Fusion, Open Country, Solids, Verde, Cipher, and more in play to make sure I don't get called a bro bro because thats what I'm really worried about.

kpbrown31

FNG
Refreshing this thread because I'm between these two bags due to availability I have. Just curious after a couple seasons now if anyone has any more insight on the Kuiu Pro line?

I was leaning towards MR, but the lack of an option to buy bag-only for several models is starting to turn me away. I like the idea of having flexibility to run multiple bags on one frame if needed.

Felton

WKR
You can buy the beartooth 80, pintler and mule all separately from the frame.

So if you wanted a small, med, and large bag and only one frame you could buy whatever med bag/frame combo (metcalf) and then add the pintler and beartooth bag only option and cover all your bases.

My opinion… the medium size packs collapse down pretty small when needed. Could be used as a day pack of sorts without having to pull the bag off the frame to switch to a smaller bag.

I have a terraframe 65, and my hunting partner has the metcalf.

Unfortunately I have no first hand experience with the kuiu packs.