KUIU Pro 6000 Pack Help (Day Pack Mode?)

I'm looking to get into a larger pack to get me further from the truck this year. I currently have the older Icon 1850 that I've used as my day pack and I'm overall pretty darn happy with it.

As a result, I'm looking at doing a full up Pro 6000 kit (including frame) since on my 1850, I have the shoulder straps at the top position. As I've trained and gotten comfortable with more weight, its become pretty obvious that I should of gone with a size larger frame.

I'm primarily looking at the 6000 since the 3600 is probably too small for 3-5 day excursions and the 7800 is overkill. The one thing I'm wondering about is how well the pack shrinks down into day pack mode (say after setting up camp). I know with the modularity of the KUIU system, I can run my 1850 bag on the same frame, but this seems like a giant pain in the butt to reconfigure your whole pack after setting up camp. Anyone run the 6000 lidless?

Any pics of the 6000 lidless and shrunken down would be super helpful to get me to pull the trigger. Thanks in advance.

AggKat

FNG
I just bought the 7800 during the last sale for my upcoming 5 day trip. The bag is big and I knew it would be overkill. It wasn't that much difference in cost and about 4 oz. Over the 6000. I don't have the lightest or the most compact gear. I and still trying to purchase much of it for my trip. I threw in some of my existing stuff and was surprised how fast it actually started to fill up. No way I can carry what the bag can. I watch a lot of videos of guys packing a lot of stuff for 7 day trips in a 4500, but it has to be the light compact expensive gear and packed just right. I figured I would rather have the extra room so when packing up before daylight I am not fighting to get everything in it's proper place or when I need something out of it I didnt have to unload entire bag. With all that said the 6000 would have been enough. My 7800 cinches down pretty good. I bought a 3600 also as a second bag. When cinched down it is not that much bigger at least not the 1-1/2 times I thought it would be. I haven't used it yet, but so far I don't regret getting the 7800. Me and my son both got one with the intentions of having to send it back because thinking it was going to be to big. After putting about 1/2 of our gear in we both decided to keep them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

AggKat

FNG
This is my 7800 next to my 3600 right after taking out of the box. I know you are getting a 6000 but this might give good reference. I would think the extra 1800 is the portion just under the lid and is totally collapsed on mine. I figure the 6000 would look about the same.
2eaa7e3ace2604a615473344324df9dc.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

hikenhunt

WKR
I have a 5200 and for day mode, I'll take the lid off and cinch the two straps on the bottom of the bag. Looks like the 6000 has the same straps on the bottom.

madcalfe

WKR
do yourself a favor and buy a stone glacier or kifaru lol. i recently just ordered the 6000 for my gf and when it arrived I instantly told her you wouldn't be using that and sold it and got a kifaru. they make nice bags but i wouldn't trust their frame or harness system on a extended hunt loaded heavy. especially how the only thing holding the straps to the frame is that little plastic pieces that slides up and down in the frame.

I don't have my 6000 anymore, just a 7000 and a 1850 I believe. You can cinch the big bag down to the size of the frame, but the lid flops around if you leave it on. The only thing I didn't like was getting anything in/out of the bag, I would have to un-cinch the bag. Otherwise I don't notice.
If I'm doing a Backcountry, packing in, nowhere near the truck hunt, I only bring the big bag because it's not worth it to bring the extra equipment and swap the bag out.