KUIU Pro 6000 vs 7000 LT

chukwithak

Lil-Rokslider
Backpacking trips are going to be average of 4-7 days. I do want to add a 4k LT pack inside the big pack for day tripping and keep the bigger pack for specifically hiking in. I think I have my mind made up on the 7k since I wont be brush busting with it, but can someone talk to me? I just need other opinions so I'm not stuck in my ways.

lonedave

WKR
Another thought....From what you're going to be doing, I'd give some serious thought to the LT5500 by itself. The size should work for the number of days and they compress down very well for day use. The lid can also be removed from the 5500 after you reach camp to skinny it down further.

j33

WKR
Anyone know the size and weight of the LT7000 lid?

LT5000 lid is 800cuin and 3.4oz

I have a LT4000 and it will be pretty full for 7 day early season sheep hunt. Thinking only 5 days max with it.

Outwest

WKR
From my personal experience, packing in a day trip bag is only a good idea in theory. It will prove to be unnecessary in the field. The extra lbs and time/effort it takes to swap bags, then keep up with the other bag, then re-pack your other bag will prove to be an annoyance. All quality backpacks these days compress down into daypacks readily, and managing some extra pack will be far less cumbersome than managing another pack.

My advice, buy the largest bag you think you may need. For 4-7 days, the LT 5500 or Pro 6000 should be plenty of room depending on your gear (Meaning weight conscious gear, realistic clothing, average food, average optics). Strapping some gear to the outside is always an option as well. There are plenty of ways to make a 5-6000 CU pack work for a week.

Now if you are hauling a lot of optics, extra clothes, food for two, or are dead set on carrying meat inside the bag, then go for the 7000 or 7800. Again, extra pack will not hurt in the long run as long as you have the discipline to still only carry what you need.

If you are really set on having a day pack, the stalker from kuiu is a good option. It clips inside the packs and weighs a lot less than another pack bag.

Last edited:

PA Hunter

WKR
From my personal experience, packing in a day trip bag is only a good idea in theory. It will prove to be unnecessary in the field. The extra lbs and time/effort it takes to swap bags, then keep up with the other bag, then re-pack your other bag will prove to be an annoyance. All quality backpacks these days compress down into daypacks readily, and managing some extra pack will be far less cumbersome than managing another pack.

My advice, buy the largest bag you think you may need. For 4-7 days, the LT 5500 or Pro 6000 should be plenty of room depending on your gear (Meaning weight conscious gear, realistic clothing, average food, average optics). Strapping some gear to the outside is always an option as well. There are plenty of ways to make a 5-6000 CU pack work for a week.

Now if you are hauling a lot of optics, extra clothes, food for two, or are dead set on carrying meat inside the bag, then go for the 7000 or 7800. Again, extra pack will not hurt in the long run as long as you have the discipline to still only carry what you need.

If you are really set on having a day pack, the stalker from kuiu is a good option. It clips inside the packs and weighs a lot less than another pack bag.
I completely agree i was so sick of not having enough room in my day packs I just bought a Kuiu Pro 7800 and am completely amazed how small it packs down to and compresses. I can do anything with it and absolutely love it.

I agree that I’m a big fan of the 5500, it works very well for a week long trip. My other bag is an 1850 that I use for day hunts ( I don’t carry both in), I don’t see the need for anything else.

On any trip longer than a couple days, the only reason you should need more room is extra food. That’s easy enough to toss in a game bag in the meat shelf.