KUIU Pro Down Alternative

Looking for suggestions for an alternative to the KUIU Super Down Pro Hooded Jacket. 5 oz 850+ Fill for 13.4 oz. ($400) Does anybody have any suggestions?

Feel like I found my alternative to their Super Down Ultra Hooded Jacket ($300 - 2.3 oz 850 fill for 7.9 oz) in this… https://www.decathlon.com/collectio...ens-mountain-backpacking-down-jacket-trek500? This alternative jacket is 3.3 oz of 800 down for 10.2 oz BUT only $70 on sale. So for me the 2 oz in weight is worth over $200 in savings and possible a little bit warmer.

A little background…

I compare my jackets in warmth capabilities by taking their fill oz and multiplying by the down. For example the Pro = 4250, and the Ultra = 1955. This is why I feel the decathlon is a good replacement (2800 - so even warmer than the ultra…in theory).

But I want to admit..I’m frugal or cheap or whatever word you want to use. Like others I also appreciate good gear, but sometimes I feel like we are just paying for a sticker or camo pattern or a fashion statement. I’m not that guy. I like solids, I like off brands, and I like saving money. I’m willing to sacrifice a few ounces if it saves me mucho dinero.

So after my long winded post I’m asking all of you, any recommendations for an “alternative” to the KUIU Pro Down Hoody that will be close in the specs, but lower on the price. Or is this one of those pieces of gear that is kind of in a league of its own? Thanks in advance for input or suggestions.

PS If anybody has any suggestions for an alternative to the KUIU base insulated snap shirt, please let me know. That to me currently is in a league of its own for weight and warmth, but I’m currently searching out an alternative for that as well.

ILIKEGEAR

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
In our Raffle + Review on Down Jackets we compare:

Kuiu Super Down Pro Hooded
Stone Glacier Grumman Goose Down
Sitka Kelvin Down WS Hoody
First Lite Chamberlin Down

None of these are easy on the wallet.

Much of the price difference between that and the SDP you mentioned is the fill, the weight, the waterproofing technology, and of course - the brand name / camo patterns.

Here is a comparison on the SDP you mentioned which you can do for each of the above.

1. Packability (Both pack down to the size of a softball)
2. Noise (Both are scratchy but the Decathlon is also somewhat squeeky)
3. Water Proofing (SDP the down clusters are treated where as only the shell is treated on Decathlon)
4. The Fill (The SDP is a 95/5 ratio where as the Decathlon is 85/15)

While you can find the cheaper stuff boasting the same general features - you can feel the difference when you wear these in the field. Its up to you to determine if the difference / cost is justified based on what you will be doing though. My Down Jacket is my go-to and one I won't skimp on.

All that being said, if my budget was $100 - I would absolutely choose the Decathlon.

Bump79

WKR
In our Raffle + Review on Down Jackets we compare:

Kuiu Super Down Pro Hooded
Stone Glacier Grumman Goose Down
Sitka Kelvin Down WS Hoody
First Lite Chamberlin Down

None of these are easy on the wallet.

Much of the price difference between that and the SDP you mentioned is the fill, the weight, the waterproofing technology, and of course - the brand name / camo patterns.

Here is a comparison on the SDP you mentioned which you can do for each of the above.

1. Packability (Both pack down to the size of a softball)
2. Noise (Both are scratchy but the Decathlon is also somewhat squeeky)
3. Water Proofing (SDP the down clusters are treated where as only the shell is treated on Decathlon)
4. The Fill (The SDP is a 95/5 ratio where as the Decathlon is 85/15)

While you can find the cheaper stuff boasting the same general features - you can feel the difference when you wear these in the field. Its up to you to determine if the difference / cost is justified based on what you will be doing though. My Down Jacket is my go-to and one I won't skimp on.

All that being said, if my budget was $100 - I would absolutely choose the Decathlon.
What are your thoughts on treating cheaper down coats with Nikwax Down treatment?

ILIKEGEAR

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
What are your thoughts on treating cheaper down coats with Nikwax Down treatment?

I always use Nikwax or Grangers on my tech clothing. From the cheapest to the most expensive. I wash it all together.

OP
passinggas33
@ILIKEGEAR - I like your comparison but I’m looking to save some money. With all your product knowledge, have you seen a reasonable priced alternative to the Pro Down?

SKRE ptarmigan is nearly identical on specs to the SD pro and can be found pretty reasonable on sale. Used one for several years for that reason.
I don't like hoods much and found I let out a lot of warmth by not zipping mine up all the way due to the hood.
Switched to the kryptek Ghar and have been very very happy. I think by specs the Ghar is warmer. Down is a match and then it has some synthetic too.

dtrkyman

WKR
I had researched a bunch after some cold hunts and in the hunting brands I think the SKRE might be the best combo of fill power and value.

Not sure I looked at that Kryptek though. Interesting thoughts on the hood.

OP
passinggas33
The ptarmigan is definitely on my list. It is a little heavier than the Pro, but my gut tells me it is probably a little more durable as well. There are quite a few down jackets (non hunting brands) that fall right into that 18-20oz range with similar specs. The Pro supposedly is 4-5 oz lighter. But advertising sometimes likes to fudge the numbers.

I love my skre gear ptarmigan puffy. You can get it for a really good price if you shop their sales. They discount different items weekly.

I also have a trek 500 from decathlon and really enjoy that jacket as well. It has a very durable outer shell and cuts wind well. Only minus for trek 500 is no hood, but I mostly use it for bombing around town.

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved

If I was in the market for a down jacket right now this is what I would get.

PorterNY

Lil-Rokslider
Are you against buying used?….some people wear them one time or 1 hunt or never and sell them.
I have found a lot of my kuiu gear used on eBay for substantially less than kuiu sale prices…
As for the super down pro jacket , it’s very warm… I wear a Yukon rain jacket over it so it doesn’t tear if in brush. Also buy a size up from your normal size

jd1006

WKR
I’m not sure what to make of Outdoor Vitals…most of what they are making is materials that Kuiu sources. They are geared at a different market, but they are starting to put out outerwear that’s interesting and priced well.

Kdf22

Lil-Rokslider
SKRE on sale

If I was in the market for a down jacket right now this is what I would get.
This jacket has significantly less fill weight than SD pro/SKRE Ptarmigan.

Seeknelk

WKR
its nice and warm but the fabric is loud and not all that durable
It's a puffy. They are all loud and flimsy. Some are a tiny bit less so of each but it's not something I'm stalking game or even hiking in. Not many are louder and flimsier than kuiu down but it works for many people.