KUIU Pro LT 5500 vs 4000 (top loader vs horseshoe zip)

hikenhunt

WKR
All Kuiu packs can be put into load sling mode. Basically the bag is removed from the frame on the top stays and you can put meat/gear between the frame/bag and then cinch it all down.
Just to clarify, all of the larger packs (currently "Pro") have the load sling. They have a couple smaller packs that aren't meant for hauling, the Venture and Divide.

Just to clarify, all of the larger packs (currently "Pro") have the load sling. They have a couple smaller packs that aren't meant for hauling, the Venture and Divide.
That is correct. Any of the bags that use the Carbon Fiber frame and suspension can be put into load sling mode. It’s a nice feature that many packs use these days in one form or another.

I have a Pro 2300 and an Icon Pro 5200 . I use the Pro 2300 for day and overnight quick trips. I have used the Icon Pro 5200 for about 3-4 years and have never had any issues with it. I cant see myself needing anything larger for my needs. The Icon Pro had both the top load and horseshoe zip standard which has been great. I use the horseshoe while packing and at camp and the top load while on the trail. The Icon Pro 5200 are not in production anymore, but you may still be able to find them if your looking for the horseshoe option .

Moserkr

WKR
I have the newer 4000 ultra horseshoe zip and an older 6000 ultra top load with lid. I dont really like the lid and only use the 6k on longer trips, 4-7 days. The 4k is my absolute favorite for 1-4 day trips because of the horseshoe zip and no lid. But, I could go 5-6 with it now that you gave me the idea of using the lid off my 6k!! Thanks for that idea!!! My gear is pretty dialed in though so I know how to pack small, and 5-6 days in a ultra 4k with a lid could only be done in the early season. Late season with cold and weather would be hard to fit rain gear and extra layers in a small, tight pack.

Hi,
Im also interested in knowing how the layout of the pro lt 5500 is. Considering to get one exclusively for singe day mountain raindeer hunting. Or several days where we sleep in cabins, and only use the packs to bring our stuff to the camp.
Would have prefered the 7000, but thats to much space for my gear alone. A small school pack would be sufficient for the gear alone, bit there is always the possibility for some meat on the way back home.

But how do you guys make a 4000ci backpack work for a 3-7 day trip??? Yes, you can fit all the gear you need to for the trip, but what about when you make a kill? With 4000ci you eather have to hunt for cats, or shoot the animal on you way back (within pulling-range from your car) 😅 The loading shelf seams to MAYBE take all four legs of a raindeer. But tjere is alot more than that

Currently using a 6000ci pack that is able to hold a small buck (around 60kg) + gear.

louisianahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Yes it does. It comes with 4 straps I believe. Two are for the external face compression.

There isn't a built in bladder sleeve, but there are attachment points for a stalker or add-on sleeve.
What kind of sleeve do you recommend using? I just got the 5500 and didn't realize it didn't have the hydration pouch (oversight on my part). Trying to avoid buying the stalker 500 just to solve this.

B

Brando'

Considering the 5500 as well. What ci is the bag alone? I would most likely run this bag without the lid.

I prefer the side zip.
Using a 4000 currently. Some could consider it too small but there are a lot of attachment options both internal and external that Kuiu doesnt even advertise.
As well , you can clip on thier accessory pouch directly right on the back and have the additonal volume of a lid but not be in way.
Can expand the pack to 72ltres that way.
Have any pics of this? I’m going to see if I can get one of my EXO lids to attach to my 4000lt but would buy this if it looks/functions cleanly.

dtrkyman

WKR
How about attaching a Hydration rig for extra capacity? I bought one to put on my bino harness for a "day" pack for quick hunts close to a base camp.

I love the Icon pro 5200 bag, want the new suspension so considering selling the old suspension but probably not much market for it?

The new 4000 has my attention, I love the horse shoe bags!

Tahoe1305

WKR
How about attaching a Hydration rig for extra capacity? I bought one to put on my bino harness for a "day" pack for quick hunts close to a base camp.

I love the Icon pro 5200 bag, want the new suspension so considering selling the old suspension but probably not much market for it?

The new 4000 has my attention, I love the horse shoe bags!
You could do that or their similar stuff bag that is probably 500ci or so.

I used the 4000 on a multi day hunt last weekend and was tighter than I wanted. Came home and figured a way to attach my 7000 lid to it. Will be perfect for food.

My only thoughts on attaching bino hydration pack or anything else to the back, is it gets in the way of hanging a bow or a rifle and kinda drags the weight further way from your back (why a lid option would be preferable).

I like a horseshoe zip. Easier to access things. I would say it depends though, on how much it makes a difference..how often you go into your pack.. the top loader with a synch style opening though, can expand it a little more and it gives you a little More room or it can be compressed better. Just harder to access things. If you aren’t going into your pack often… I would say it doesn’t really matter.. user preference at that point.