Kuiu Pro LT 5500

Bwn94

FNG
Does anyone have any real world experience with this yet? The specs online look great but having never used a Kuiu pack i am unsure, and a lot of reviews from years past don’t look great, but I’d like to hear about the newer packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
Have you looked at the 9 pack review thread/videos?

Kuiu ended up being his top pick.

I’m also looking to pick one up. Hopefully they come back in stock soon. My birthday is next week and hoping to get a coupon to use on it.

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
I compared one to an Ultra 5500. Biggest difference, besides the material on the back and bottom, are the front pockets. The front pocket on the Pro LT allows you to put a spotter and tripod in and zip. The smaller pocket has a key hanger and an inner mesh zip pocket for your "don't want to lose this" items. There is no bladder hook in the Pro LT so you'll need something to hang your bladder with. Another little difference is the attachment of the straps for the lid. I like the old style of the Ultra because it allows your to remove the lid and not have to mix and match buckles if you wanted to put it on another KUIU bag.
As far as the frame and suspension goes, I really like mine. Fits me better than the Mystery Ranch new suspension. If you're looking to take the plunge, I have an almost new Ultra suspension. The predecessor to the Pro. I haven't tried the SG/EXO/Seek Outside/etc packs as I like the way my KUIU fits and packs.
Hope this helps.

Outwest

WKR
Really well built bags, I used one for a while but I ended up preferring the pro for most uses so I sold it and kept the pro. I only packed meat with that bag once but the waterproof panels on the back/bottom were great and easy to spray off.

The LT 5500 would be my pick if I was primarily backpack hunting. Its light and still has plenty of organization for your gear to keep the stuff sacks away.

In regards to pack access, its a question of do you want to lay the pack on its side or the belly (shoulder straps in the dirt)? The 5500 main access is through a long vertical side zip or a top shroud the front pocket also only opens from one side. Also the internal mesh pockets are oriented so you would access them through the side zip. The pro packs are all horseshoe zip that are best opened from the 'belly' position.

Water... there's no hanger or bladder sleeve (the accessory pocket or bladder rig is worth a buy anyway), I put my water bladder in the lid most of the time, there is a Hypalon port on the back of the lid for your tube. The side water bottle pockets are not cinch closures like they are on the pro, they are just non-adjustable elastic.

Last thing I will say is don't shy away from the 330D vs the 500D on the pro. The 330D is a more "slick' material that handles abrasion very well. The 500D on the pros is more typical Cordura feeling. I never worried about durability with either.

Hope this helps!

H'n'F

Lil-Rokslider
I bought one and loved it.....except for one thing. It squeaked. Light, fit like a glove, rode like a dream. I was so happy with it in every way except every step I took it creaked and croaked. I was on the phone with them for 3 days trying to find a way to make it work but ended up sending it back. This is the second Kuiu pack I've had to send back because of this issue. I sure wish they'd figure it out so I could use their packs. They are the lightest, and most functional of all the big manufacturers IMHO. But I can't sneak up on a bedded mule deer if my pack is loud! Damn shame, really.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using a Kuiu Ultra 6000 since 2016, and I am upgrading this year.

I was torn between the Pro 6000 and LT 5500, and I ended up ordering the Pro 6000 for my 5-7 day backpack hunts.

1stSgt M

Lil-Rokslider
I too struggled between the LT 5500 & the Pro 6000 went with the Pro 6000, mainly because the material seems a little more durable plus its a hair larger.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
I too struggled between the LT 5500 & the Pro 6000 went with the Pro 6000, mainly because the material seems a little more durable plus its a hair larger.
II received the Pro 6000 this week from Kuiu, and the quality of the material for the harness is a nice improvement from the older Ultra models that I have used in the past.

No buyer's remorse here...I am definietly glad that I selected the Pro 6000.

Swandive

FNG
II received the Pro 6000 this week from Kuiu, and the quality of the material for the harness is a nice improvement from the older Ultra models that I have used in the past.

No buyer's remorse here...I am definietly glad that I selected the Pro 6000.
Do you still have it?
Still working well after a year?
I too am not sure if I should go with the LT5500 version or stick with the 500D bag variations.

scott_co

Lil-Rokslider
Do you still have it?
Still working well after a year?
I too am not sure if I should go with the LT5500 version or stick with the 500D bag variations.
Yes, I still have it.

It fits my torso really well even at 6'5", and it still is in great shape.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ll chime in on the ultra bags material. Blood washes off very easily. It’s not meant to be a water proof material but sheds moisture well.

Old thread, but I'd love to know what folks think about whether this pack (and other Kuiu packs) could accommodate a full packraft or other inflatable raft or paddle board in the meat shelf area?

Dlgies

FNG
I run the Pro LT 4000. I’ve hauled out 2 elk and a deer with it and like it more every year. It hauled out a 120 lb load of elk this year with no issue so I’m guessing the raft would work.

dtrkyman

WKR
I just ordered the new suspension and plan to adapt my icon pro 5200 and pro 2200 bags to it.

Contacted KUIU and they said the frame I have will work with new suspension I just have to adapt the buckle set ups.