Kuiu Pro LT vs regular Pro

DrewPNW

FNG
Hi gang,

After doing way more research that I can stand without actually hauling 80+ pounds in any of them, I've settled on the Kuiu Pro pack system based on a balance of (relative) affordability and great marks on the Rokslide backpack shootout. Only bummer is not being able to try them on or handle them prior to purchase.

I wanted to see if anyone has had a chance to handle both the Pro and Pro LT bags. Other than the obvious capacity vs weight advantage, and lower price of the LT, I wanted to know if there are other factors to consider between the two (extra pouches or other form factor differences, etc). Even adding the accessory compression straps, the LT comes in cheaper.

For reference, I'm looking for something versatile enough to cinch down smaller for day hunts, but still handle 3 days of backpacking, so I was looking at the LT 4000 + the straps.

Thanks!

hikenhunt

WKR
For 3 days of backpacking, I'd recommend the 5500 unless you have light and small gear or want to use the load sling for gear/food. For day hunts with the 5500, remove the lid and cinch the bottom of the bag to the hip belt and the sides of the bag. You won't notice it being a bigger bag. That's what I do with my old model 5200.

Moserkr

WKR
4000 is my favorite pack, and is great for early-mid season, 2-3 day trips. 3-5 if you have a really dialed lightweight setup. Main differences in the pro vs lt are extra side pockets, cordura fabric strength, and overall weight. Pretty similar otherwise. Ive always done the ultra or lt setups and have never had an issue after years of abuse. Not sure the extra tough cordura is necessary, but the extra pockets would be nice. 5500 is a great all around pack if you only pick one. I have a new 4k for short-mid length trips and an older ultra 6k for longer trips.

hunting1

WKR
I run the 3600 and hauled an elk this year. I think they are a great pack. I normally run Kifaru but just wanted to play with something new and unless I was doing a week backpack trip the 3600 covers a lot of boxes.

If buying a new LT it would be the 5000.

OP
DrewPNW

DrewPNW

FNG
Thank you guys so much for the input! I've settled on the 5500 Pro LT, now just hoping they'll do some Black Friday deals ;)

hikenhunt

WKR
Not sure on your timeline, but if you sign up for their emails, you will get a discount code on your birthday

OP
DrewPNW

DrewPNW

FNG
My patience was rewarded! $333 for the pack system with a $50 referral code and free shipping on their Cyber Monday sale. Of COURSE I used that savings to also snag the Stalker and a few other goodies :D . Thanks for all your recommendations!