Kuiu rain jacket differences

rev44

Lil-Rokslider
What is the difference besides a little money in the Kuou Chugach jacker vs Kutana storm shell. Looking for a good rain set for tree stand hunting.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Southernhunters

Lil-Rokslider
Haven’t tried the Kutana, but I have the Chugach and find it quite impressive in all aspects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bump79

WKR
Personally I don't think either are great options for tree stand hunting. I have the older Chugach NX but it's way too loud for stand hunting. Every movement is noticeable. I love the breathability and stretch but it doesn't make the cut for whitetail. I heard the new TR was a little quieter but I still don't think it would be my choice for whitetail. The Yukon would be the quietest of their options in my opinion. The Thlete rain gear I believe is the same material as the Kuiu Yukon and is designed for whitetail hunters.

For whitetail you want a quiet face and the reality is Kuiu is not designed for whitetail hunting. Don't get me wrong I rock a lot of their gear but I'm also hunting Montana/Wyoming every year extensively.

I'm looking at the Pnuma 3L and Sitka Thunderhead. Stone Glacier M5 is reasonably quiet and I've heard the FL Seak & Forloh Allclima 3L are as well. While a brushed quiet face potentially will wet out faster in my opinion for whitetail this is a necessary tradeoff.

Personally I don't think either are great options for tree stand hunting. I have the older Chugach NX but it's way too loud for stand hunting. Every movement is noticeable. I love the breathability and stretch but it doesn't make the cut for whitetail. I heard the new TR was a little quieter but I still don't think it would be my choice for whitetail. The Yukon would be the quietest of their options in my opinion. The Thlete rain gear I believe is the same material as the Kuiu Yukon and is designed for whitetail hunters.

For whitetail you want a quiet face and the reality is Kuiu is not designed for whitetail hunting. Don't get me wrong I rock a lot of their gear but I'm also hunting Montana/Wyoming every year extensively.

I'm looking at the Pnuma 3L and Sitka Thunderhead. Stone Glacier M5 is reasonably quiet and I've heard the FL Seak & Forloh Allclima 3L are as well. While a brushed quiet face potentially will wet out faster in my opinion for whitetail this is a necessary tradeoff.

I actually might disagree with this. Killed my buck at 17 yards, on the ground, from a brush blind this fall while wearing the Kuiu Chugach jacket. If it's raining enough to wear the jacket, there will be plenty of background noise.

Edit* Now that I think on it, I was wearing an ASAT leafy suit over the jacket though. Maybe that makes a difference?

OP
R

rev44

Lil-Rokslider

What is the name of the thlete jacket. Not seeing it.

Bump79

WKR
What is the name of the thlete jacket. Not seeing it.

White Squall. I can't speak for it but they use Toray Fabrics like Kuiu and I believe this is the same membrane as the Yukon.

OP
R

rev44

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks!

Bump79

WKR
I actually might disagree with this. Killed my buck at 17 yards, on the ground, from a brush blind this fall while wearing the Kuiu Chugach jacket. If it's raining enough to wear the jacket, there will be plenty of background noise.

Edit* Now that I think on it, I was wearing an ASAT leafy suit over the jacket though. Maybe that makes a difference?
That's fair, I'm not saying it can't be done and if it. Is it the new TR or NX? My preference is also to hunt the ground but I like to use my rain jacket as part of a layering system. I often wear a rain jacket when it isn't raining and when it's cold my Chugach NX gets even louder.. making it tough to layer and fit in my system.

I personally like my gear to be as versatile as possible to make my money go as far as possible. Allowing me to hunt more. To each their own and maybe I'm hyper critical of my gear but I wouldn't recommend it for this application. I love it out west and would be speaking it's praises but I just don't feel like it fits in my whitetail system.

It's for sale in perfect condition in Large Valo if you want it :)