Kuiu Raingear

270quest

WKR
For my Northern BC moose hunt in September, I ordered a set of the Teton Rain gear. I got them and they fit good, but they seem really thin and lite. Would it be worth it to step up to the Yukon? A buddy says his is unbeatable. Thoughts?

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
For my Northern BC moose hunt in September, I ordered a set of the Teton Rain gear. I got them and they fit good, but they seem really thin and lite. Would it be worth it to step up to the Yukon? A buddy says his is unbeatable. Thoughts?

My father has the Yukon set up, I have the Chugach jacket. The reason for the difference is that he is strictly hunting moose from a base camp. Raining very often and busting brush constantly to get into bogs and swamps warrants the use of the extra fabric.

I like to hike into areas, as well as base camp. I tried on both the chugach and Yukon at the kuiu tour and had a tough time getting the chugach because the Yukon is SO NICE. Yet the Chugach fit my style. Looked at the Ultra NX too but was scared due to how thin it was to be used for anything either than sheep.

If your rain gear sits in your bag 95% of the time, then I'm sure it's fine. If you live in BC like we do, or somewhere with a lot of precip.. Maybe gear up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carter33

WKR
I have the kuiu Yukon pants and they are great, I have a thin Sitka rain jacket(forget the exact name) and I prefer the slightly higher weight/protection of the Yukon and plan to get the jacket soon. On many hunts I am breaking brush and worry about the material on the lighter style rain jackets. Also with the Yukon I am confident I could wear it as an outer jacket and not worry even while it is not raining and cut back on the articles of clothing I bring.

Though HankBC makes a solid point that if you will only be using it on rare occasions getting a lighter set makes more sense as it is also much more packable. Another consideration is the temperature that you will be hunting. The lighter raingear breaths much better, the Yukon not so much though I do believe it has vents.

TXCO

WKR
For moose in BC, id use the yukon. Its likely to be thicker and more bad weather. Use the jacket as an outer layer instead of say a soft shell because its reasonably quiet for rain gear. Possibly order a size up on the kuiu if you want to really layer under it. Another negative against the teton is I dont think they have pit zips so youll likely sweat a lot. Buy once, cry once.

I use an old model sitka for things like hiking or september elk/deer hunts where its packed 90% of the time. When Im in Alaska living in it and beating brush, I take the yukon.

willidru

WKR
I can't speak for moose hunting, but I have used the Yukon jacket for the last couple seasons of duckhunting and it has been great

bcimport

WKR
Since it's a moose hunt I'm assuming it's horseback based. I would send it all back, get some Helly Hansen impertech stretchy rubber rain gear and put several hundred bucks back in your pocket. Dragging through heavy brush always seems to push water through even the best breathable gear and it's just hard on everything. I use the HH for everything though, wasted way too much money on high end rain gear through the years. If it's raining, sleeting or snowing I want to be 100% sure I can stay dry. Anyone who says they can hike in any rain gear and not sweat it out from the inside is telling stories. Odds are your guide will be wearing rubber too and they live in the bush for 3 months at a time.