KUIU Referral and Kenai Jacket Opinions

tboltz34

FNG
I'm looking at purchasing the Kenai Hooded Jacket for a good layering archery jacket. It will mainly be used for western big game archery hunting but I would also use it for midwestern archery whitetail and turkey hunting. The reason I like the Kuiu Kenai is because it's quieter compared to other popular puffy jackets. I normally wear a Large; however, after some research I should upsize to XL. I am 6'1" 185lbs. Please let me know your opinions on the Kenai Jacket.

Additionally, this will be my first purchase at KUIU therefore if someone refers me, both of us will be rewarded $50.

Jake_B

Lil-Rokslider
PM your email address and I’ll refer you

i love the kenai as a layering option. Wear it in a treestand throughout most of the PA archery and rifle season

OP
T

tboltz34

FNG
Thanks for both of your opinions!

I am of semi-athletic build and would most likely be layering with a lightweight merino long sleeve and heavyweight long sleeve. Would you still recommend the large in my situation?

Jake_B

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on how much you planning on layering underneath. Agreed that most of their jackets, I have had to size up.

also the kenai this is now listed is a new generatio, not sure if they changed the cut/shape on this new model

I'm just under 5' 10'' and I range from 175-185 depending. I wear the Kenai Ultra over a t-shirt and 1/4 zip Sitka midweight fleece. I'll add a Super Down or fleece vest under for sitting sometimes.

Kuiu returns are easy so I'd order both.

This newest version is slightly more fitted but not much.

Edited: I like my clothes fairly fitted.

Last edited:

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 6' 185lbs semi-athletic build and go with the XL. The Large fits me perfect for a casual jacket from KUIU. But I don't like taking on and off my bino harness every time I change my layers. All my KUIU jackets (including the Kenai) are XL. They're slightly big but I'm by no means swimming in them.

I have an XL as well and would recommend it especially if you plan on layering underneath it. The kenai is a great jacket for early season.

OP
T

tboltz34

FNG
Thanks everyone! I will probably go with camping1601’s advice and order both and return one after try them on with layers, harness, and slinging a few arrows.

Definitely order both. I'm mostly a L in Kuiu, I've got an axis jacket, ordered large and had to get an XL. Have the Kenai in L old version and it is tight across the shoulders but great everywhere else, tried the XL and was swimming in it. Today I will be sending back a Kutana rain shell in XL in hopes that the L will fit (I should've ordered both). Kuiu outers and pants are great, sizing can be tricky. It's annoying for sure but returns are pretty easy. Save yourself the hassle and time and just order both and send the other back

OP
T

tboltz34

FNG
I ordered both sizes and will let everyone know when they get delivered. I also ordered the Kenai pants to try on since I will be returning one of the jackets.

I bought a Kenai off of the outlet a few weeks back (the older model, but not the OG). I'm 6'3'' 190lbs and ordered an L. It fits like a mid-layer, not a jacket, which is what I wanted to fit under my rain shell. Still comfortable enough to draw my bow no issues.

OP
T

tboltz34

FNG
I decided to order both the Kenai jacket and pants in both XL and L. Although it was very close, I'm going with the L jacket. I like the way the smaller jacket layers under a rain coat. For the pants, I also am going with the L. I was expecting the fit of the pants to be more athletic and felt both the XL and L were baggy. I would probably be closer to selecting a M over a XL if that says anything.